cookie

CAYOM 3.0 - Behind the Camera

16 minutes ago, Spagheditary said:

She didn’t do anything bad or of the sort, but....she’s had some roles in the past with....mixed receptions.

It's not like people with poor or obscure resumes haven't gotten big gigs in this game before...

7 minutes ago, YourMother the Edgelord said:

In a way the finale had me excited for both the Duckverse and Season 2.

It planted some ideas in my head for Project Sun God and Scrooge 3, that's for sure.

• Like 2

So not to dampen anyone's enthusiasm, but just be clear again on what Cinerama is:

It's a very specific format involving the use of a special camera with three lenses arranged in an arc capturing an ultra-wide 146 degree field of view. Shooting in Cinerama requires very specific planning and has major limitations because there's only one focal length, and the arced lenses mean you can't tilt the camera very much up and down or everything will distort horribly.

It was fairly common in the 1960s for movies shot in any "normal" 65mm large format system to be shown in Cinerama theatres a la IMAX blow-ups. However that only made sense at the time because there was already a relatively large circuit of existing Cinerama screens. At the moment there are only three in the entire world, two in the USA, hence my magazine post about my studio offering temporary installation of removable versions for their screenings. So in this day and age just shooting a normal movie and giving it a Cinerama release doesn't really make any sense.

That said! One option which has never actually been done but seems perfectly reasonable to me is that it could be treated sort of like how real IMAX film cameras are used for Hollywood features. Namely, compromising with the limitations of the camera by using it only for select shots or sequences, which would expand to fill the whole 146-degree curve of the screen. The conventionally-shot portions could be pillarboxed and use the center of the screen but not its full width, to heighten the effect of the switches and reduce unwanted distortion from showing a "flat" image on those screens.

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, Xillix said:

So not to dampen anyone's enthusiasm, but just be clear again on what Cinerama is:

It's a very specific format involving the use of a special camera with three lenses arranged in an arc capturing an ultra-wide 146 degree field of view. Shooting in Cinerama requires very specific planning and has major limitations because there's only one focal length, and the arced lenses mean you can't tilt the camera very much up and down or everything will distort horribly.

It was fairly common in the 1960s for movies shot in any "normal" 65mm large format system to be shown in Cinerama theatres a la IMAX blow-ups. However that only made sense at the time because there was already a relatively large circuit of existing Cinerama screens. At the moment there are only three in the entire world, two in the USA, hence my magazine post about my studio offering temporary installation of removable versions for their screenings. So in this day and age just shooting a normal movie and giving it a Cinerama release doesn't really make any sense.

That said! One option which has never actually been done but seems perfectly reasonable to me is that it could be treated sort of like how real IMAX film cameras are used for Hollywood features. Namely, compromising with the limitations of the camera by using it only for select shots or sequences, which would expand to fill the whole 146-degree curve of the screen. The conventionally-shot portions could be pillarboxed and use the center of the screen but not its full width, to heighten the effect of the switches and reduce unwanted distortion from showing a "flat" image on those screens.

In that case, I'll retract both Midas and Imagine from it, and wait to make something more worthy for the format. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Spagheditary said:

I’ll keep Spark 3 and 4 in the format - especially since Part 4 will be gigantic in scale.

In fact, Part 4 will be very heavily inspired by a film in Y5 of CAYOM 2.0. One with a budget over $300m.....

DAWN OF OBLIVION!!!!

James Franco being cast as the President, and it being played seriously, is probably one of the more baffling choices of that era.

47 minutes ago, 4815162342 said:

DAWN OF OBLIVION!!!!

James Franco being cast as the President, and it being played seriously, is probably one of the more baffling choices of that era.

My favorite part was the deeply spiritual preacher....named Christian.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1