CJohn

Weekend Thread 7/7-7/9 | ABSOLUTELY NO SPOILERS ALLOWED | SMH 117M, DM3 34M, BD 12.5M, WW 10.1M, TF5 6.3M, Biggus Dickus 3.65

2 minutes ago, Telemachos said:

It doesn't matter whether a movie's universally reviled here or not -- the same rules are in place for NUT JOB 2 as they are for LAST JEDI.

Wait, so are you saying that if there's a nut orgy at the end of The Nut Job 2, I'm not allowed to tell the good people of BOT?

• Like 3

1 hour ago, baumer said:

Well, it's still in question.  That's not even a question.

Keep telling yourself that. 

Or does great word of mouth not exist now? Apes will do well next week but that's about it. Valerian? Don't make me laugh. 

1 minute ago, DealWithIt said:

Or does great word of mouth not exist now? Apes will do well next week but that's about it. Valerian? Don't make me laugh. 

You won't be laughing at Valerian when it gets a 90% on RT and 70M+ OW.

9 minutes ago, grimfandango said:

Agreed. I'm one of those who also had a problem with the suit among other things, and I defend my criticism of the movie which I did in my spoiler review.

Here's my feeling on the situation and what my gut tells me:

SM:H is a good movie, but not a great one. It's good enough that most critics recommend it, hence the high RT score; and really any good movie should get a high score on RT since it is an aggregate score site. 

After seeing it for myself, I find that the high, high praise that a lot of critics have heaped on it are a bit unfounded, and I'm curious to see if either I'm being over-critical, or whether other movie goers will feel the same way. If my gut is right, then the high critic praise will have inflated the opening day numbers, but as people judge it for themselves the WOM will tone down some and dampen the following days, along with fewer people going in for repeat viewings. The legs will be average for the typical Marvel film, but overseas will pump the numbers because that market tends to be less critical.

If my gut is wrong, then SM:H will continue to post high numbers and have a pretty good run all around. 

Saturday's 37 million tells me my gut feeling might be right though. (assuming that number is accurate).

Again, I'm not saying it's not a good movie or that I hope it does poorly, but for me the plot had a lot of glaring problems, most characters were not well-developed, and Spidey comes off being weaker than his CW debut.

Unfounded bc they didn't agree with you? Pull your head out, your opinion isn't the only one that matters. It's funny to me people like you 'know' where the movie is going to end up and the first weekend isn't even over yet. Get over yourself. Most of those critics on RT or MC don't give a crap about any genre of movies. Most Review dozens of movies every year.

Here's one brilliant thing about Batman Returns.....the Penguins henchmen, some of them, actually move around by doing summersaults and cartwheels, because they are circus rejects.  That makes total sense.  So if the penguin found Burger King rejects, would those henchmen walk and mime flipping burgers?  If he found former prostitutes and used them as henchmen, would they mime giving fellatio while walking?  The writing in BR is so beyond hilariously dumb.

3 hours ago, DealWithIt said:

But why is any number locked at this point?  We are just finishing  its second day.  :sadben:

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, Telemachos said:

Personally I think the Q34 suit was way cooler and more powerful, but I have to admit the Venom-injection turbo-boosted crotch-patch on the simpler original suit was just about perfect. Only problem I have is that everyone knows the Q34 add-on would've made Spidey waaaaay more powerful than Rhino, because Rhino's armor is only the ZZ-Stratodeck plating, which wouldn't be able to withstand the G-forces imposed by Spidey's web shooter.

It's stuff like this that just completely takes me out of a movie. You'd think the filmmakers would realize how it makes no sense at all. And don't get me started on Tony's Hulk-Squisher.

NERD!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, KJsooner said:

Unfounded bc they didn't agree with you? Pull your head out, your opinion isn't the only one that matters. It's funny to me people like you 'know' where the movie is going to end up and the first weekend isn't even over yet. Get over yourself. Most of those critics on RT or MC don't give a crap about any genre of movies. Most Review dozens of movies every year.

Aren't you being a hypocrite?  You have told him that his opinion is wrong because he doesn't agree with you.  :redcapes:

3 minutes ago, That One Guy said:

You won't be laughing at Valerian when it gets a 90% on RT and 70M+ OW.

Yeah that's not happening, at least the 70 million opening part. It seems the movie actually is decent but that won't help it much. 

With Dunkirk ow, Apes 2nd weekend and Spidey 3rd weekend, 20-25 ow/70+ Dom for Val would be good. Well over 47 dom of JA.

Edited by a2knet

6 minutes ago, baumer said:

Here's one brilliant thing about Batman Returns.....the Penguins henchmen, some of them, actually move around by doing summersaults and cartwheels, because they are circus rejects.  That makes total sense.  So if the penguin found Burger King rejects, would those henchmen walk and mime flipping burgers?  If he found former prostitutes and used them as henchmen, would they mime giving fellatio while walking?  The writing in BR is so beyond hilariously dumb.

LOL add on to that -- tons of penquins walking around with rocket launchers attached to them - like they know where to aim:rofl:

• Like 1

3 hours ago, DealWithIt said:

Great wom that helped civil war or that helped gotg. Point is nothing is locked. Don't be a jerk about it.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Subzero said:

LOL add on to that -- tons of penquins walking around with rocket launchers attached to them - like they know where to aim:rofl:

The sheer audacious stupidity in that film is legendary.  I mean, Selina falls out of a window...dies...gets licked by cats and then can fight, use a bullwhip and have reflexes like a cat......sure....makes total sense......

• Like 1

I don't just want Valerian to do well, I think it NEEDS to do well.  It's the kind of movie that Hollywood rarely makes.  They rarely spend 200M+ on a little known property.  They rarely let a visionary director have full creative control.  They rarely take risks on big budget sci-fi.  Valerian is doing a lot of things that people want to see more of in Hollywood.  How many times have you seen someone on Reddit or something say how Hollywood is out of original ideas and takes no risks...before rejecting the original ideas and risks.  It's a constant pattern of people clamoring for something new, yet when they get something new, they claim it's too weird or too out of the box and don't see it.  This has become so ever-present with Valerian about to be released, and so many people shouting "BOMB!" at it, mocking it, etc. without even thinking, just for one second, to give the movie a chance.

See Valerian.  Pay for it.  Tell your friends about it if you like it.  Do this for the sake of Hollywood and taking risks.  Please.  Valerian isn't just another film to me, it's something special.  It represents one of the last chances for Hollywood to realize risks can succeed.  If it succeeds, more risks are taken in Hollywood.  If it doesn't, and this pattern continues into next year, the year after, etc., we'll be getting the same movies every year.  I just wanted to make this post because so many people have been mocking Valerian for so long and it's disheartening.  I want people to give the movie a chance.

• Like 6

3 hours ago, Subzero said:

Oh...and a total stranger comes to town with black goo dripping from his mouth but he is able to make the entire city turn on Batman.....

Look, I've seen BR once.  That was when it first came out.  This is how much I despised it....i still remember some of the stupid shit from it.