CJohn

Weekend Thread 7/7-7/9 | ABSOLUTELY NO SPOILERS ALLOWED | SMH 117M, DM3 34M, BD 12.5M, WW 10.1M, TF5 6.3M, Biggus Dickus 3.65

1 minute ago, Nova said:

They're waiting for more showtimes. It's 5PM on the east coast. Night shows haven't even gotten started out. 

Which is why its funny that folks think it's weird that we are making fun of the early numbers. Like those early numbers are coming from east coast matinees. 

EmpireCity will be the first to tell you that those numbers could very well go any which way because the day just started. ESPECIALLY for films as big as ones like SMH. 

They're coming from east coast afternoon shows and early west coast matinees, with west coast projections based on similar comps. I think they tend to be a title conservative (everyone's always happy when numbers come in above projections) but it's not like they just ignore how a movie seems to be performing. 

• Like 1

Just now, iJackSparrow said:

It's like that never happened before, like we were all sure about how WW wouldn't go above $100m or something. 

I mean I always appreciate early numbers because it gives us something to talk about. But I know never to take them too literally because they are early numbers for a reason and could very well go up OR down. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, theStun said:

I don't understand the hate for deadline like who cares how early they release their numbers it gives us something to discuss. Like regardless of what they say the numbers will come out what they are whether it be higher or lower in this case I fully expect something closer to 50M for the day but seriously think about it what would we be discussing if we never got these early estimates. This is a box office site after all.

Then just wait to report the more accurate numbers instead of being the punchline of the joke yet again. 

$42 million off of a $15 million preview number. What else are you supposed to do except laugh at that asinine projection? Anybody with any semblance of how these numbers tend to work knows that is a joke of a projection for the day. 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, iJackSparrow said:

RESIST :ohmygod::insane:

I didn't have as much fun in a theater since Deadpool. GA will be all over this thing. 

The last time I had fun in the theater was when I saw L'Arrivée d'un train en gare de La Ciotat (The Arrival of a Train at La Ciotat Station) (1896).  Every cinematic experience since then has failed to live up to the lofty standards that film has set.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Nova said:

No because I've unfortunately never had the opportunity to work on a Tv show but yes because as a fan of entertainment I would hate for a show that I liked to end on a cliff hanger. 

It wasn't just a cliffhanger. We ended with the heroes wounded and damaged, one parental figure badly hurt, multiple major villains revealed, and our heroes swearing they'd bring the war to the evil-doers.

Those poor fans... :rofl: 

• Like 8

• Community Manager
1 minute ago, Telemachos said:

It wasn't just a cliffhanger. We ended with the heroes wounded and damaged, one parental figure badly hurt, multiple major villains revealed, and our heroes swearing they'd bring the war to the evil-doers.

Those poor fans... :rofl: 

Too bad Disney XD was "screw it let's just do animated shows"

• Like 1

Just now, Ethan Hunt said:

It's actually the first time but yes

Whyyyyyy

Literally everything out in theaters right now is better than that garbage. I haven't even seen SMH, DM3, or The House, but I can guarantee they're better.

• Like 2

• Community Manager
Just now, WrathOfHan said:

Whyyyyyy

Literally everything out in theaters right now is better than that garbage. I haven't even seen SMH, DM3, or The House, but I can guarantee they're better.

TF5 is the second best Transformers movie. Might even be the best. :ph34r:

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Telemachos said:

FWIW I had GOTG2's OW at 138 in the summer game. Not great, but not a wild underprediction either. :) 

Oh, I know. Apologies if I'm mistaken, but I'm almost positive that after previews and super early Friday numbers were first reported, you thought it would do closer to $120M. Then, the Friday number spiked from early reports and the Saturday hold allowed it to come in at $146M+ OW DOM.