WrathOfHan

Weekend Actuals (Page 150): Apes 56.3M | SMH 44.2M | DM3 19.4M | Baby 8.7M | Big Dick 7.5M | WW 6.8M | Wish Upon 5.5M | Tomatoes losing their power

Just now, That One Guy said:

He's the major driving force behind the Twitter buzz (seriously, search "Dunkirk" on Twitter and a good majority of it is related to Styles).  He's definitely going to help the box office.

The Twitter buzz with Styles is empty buzz. If 1,000 Styles fans Tweet like crazy about him, it piles up hundreds of thousands of Tweets per day..but they are still only 1,000 people. They're not going to drive millions of tickets sold at the box office. 

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Biggestgeekever said:

The trailer I got with The Big Sick of all things actually sold me on the movie! It looks like a hilarious B movie with an A movie budget.

As a fan of dumb Roland Emmerich disaster movies it's right up my alley. Given the director was a producer on most guess he learned a lot. 

Just now, redfirebird2008 said:

The Twitter buzz with Styles is empty buzz. If 1,000 Styles fans Tweet like crazy about him, it piles up hundreds of thousands of Tweets per day..but they are still only 1,000 people. They're not going to drive millions of tickets sold at the box office. 

Harry Styles has 30.9M followers on Twitter.  Aka, 36th most followed on the site.

Just now, redfirebird2008 said:

And you think they're going to show up for Dunkirk? I don't. 

If they're mega fans of Harry Styles, why the fuck would they not show up and support what he's doing?

The only reason my sister is seeing Dunkirk is because of Harry Styles.  Anecdotal, I know, but she rarely sees movies unless it has someone she likes in them.

1 minute ago, redfirebird2008 said:

And you think they're going to show up for Dunkirk? I don't. 

My 17 year old cousin is seeing Dunkirk only because of Harry Styles.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, DealWithIt said:

Maybe it's just me, but this post comes off as being a massive dick. Who gives a shit when exactly he posts his thoughts? Didn't realize there was a specific time you had to have your hot takes posted by. 

Your post comes off like you have anger issues.

5 hours ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

Okay. I'll start posting every thought I have from now on. If you are bothered and believe that I am lying I will start posting my every thought. I'm not afraid to be wrong.

But you see what I mean don't you?  A number comes out.....and you say, "Oh I knew it would do that number."  Then another number comes out and you say, "I knew the last number was too low."  It just comes off as strange.  Like you knew every number ahead of time.  So now that Apes is down to 19.5, what's your number for tonight?  If you seem to know all the numbers ahead of time, what will Apes end up with tonight?  I'm just curious.  I mean, you don't see other posters coming here and saying "I told you so" after every number comes out.

• Like 1

Just now, That One Guy said:

If they're mega fans of Harry Styles, why the fuck would they not show up and support what he's doing?

The only reason my sister is seeing Dunkirk is because of Harry Styles.  Anecdotal, I know, but she rarely sees movies unless it has someone she likes in them.

And how many of those diehards are there? Not enough to put a serious dent in the box office. If this was the case, then Hollywood should have been casting pop stars a lot more often in recent years. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, redfirebird2008 said:

At least they didn't spend a lot on Dark Tower. Arthur was way too expensive. 

If The Dark Tower had the same budget as King Arthur, I'm sure it would be the biggest bomb in history. Thankfully there's no major production woes like there was on King Arthur. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, That One Guy said:

Harry Styles has 30.9M followers on Twitter.  Aka, 36th most followed on the site.

You haven't learned by now that Pop stars are not film draws?

Britney Spears was the most famous person on earth in 2002. Crossroads didn't even cross $40 million. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, MrGlass2 said:

SM:H will still beat every MCU debut except GOTG. It is doing very well worldwide. That is far from disappointing for a second reboot, without King Tobey.

But this is far from a debut movie.  This is the 6th iteration of Spiderman.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Chaz said:

Britney Spears was the most famous person on earth in 2002. Crossroads didn't even cross $40 million. 

Elvis is about the only one I can think of that obviously had a big impact at the box office. But he was the biggest star (by a long shot) in the history of the music business. Timberlake hasn't made a big impact at the box office and I would think he's more popular than Harry Styles. 

• Like 1

Just now, baumer said:

But this is far from a debut movie.  This is the 6th iteration of Spiderman.

Still it'll likely end in #2 spot WW for Spider-Man movies ($821M+).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, That One Guy said:

Dark Tower: Written by Akiva Goldsman (Winter's Tale, Transformers: The Last Knight, The 5th Wave, Rings)

:ph34r: 

Also Batman & Robin, quality. 

1 hour ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

I agree, I like him but fan casting him for everything got annoying years ago. I too don't see him ever breaking out the way people want him to. 

To be fair it's very hard to break out these days unless you attached yourself to a blockbuster franchise.

Edited by Fancyarcher
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Chaz said:

Considering the fact that Crossroads was shit and released in the dead month of February, it's safe to assume that only her core fanbase showed up to that.  Styles isn't the main draw in this case, but he certainly is a component that can help boost BO numbers.

2 minutes ago, redfirebird2008 said:

Elvis is about the only one I can think of that obviously had a big impact at the box office. But he was the biggest star (by a long shot) in the history of the music business. Timberlake hasn't made a big impact at the box office and I would think he's more popular than Harry Styles. 

I mean, there is a laundry list of Pop stars who tried to make it in movies. Only two or three were actual draws.

Streisand had the biggest impact. She made better movies that were bigger hits than Elvis' fluff. 

Edited by Chaz
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, redfirebird2008 said:

Plenty of music stars back in the golden age of Hollywood could have successful acting career. Frank Sinatra had a very good film career and was a good actor to boot, and Bing Crosby was huge for example. 

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, That One Guy said:

They didn't show up to make that 1D movie a hit so why would they show up to make Dunkirk a hit?

• Like 5