CJohn

WEEKEND THREAD | ANNABELLE 2 - $35m; DUNKIRK - $11.4m; NUT JOB 2 - $8.9m; BABY DRIVER Crosses $100m!!!

2 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

Personally, this is what I consider theater sizes to be:

Megaplex: 20+ screens

Large: 16-20 screens

Midsize: 11-15 screens

Small: 6-10 screens

Minuscule: 1-5 screens

Yeah here would be like:

Megaplex: 11-15 screens

Large: 6-10 screens

Midsize: 3-5 screens

Miniscule: 1-3 screens

The single movie theater in my town has two, one 3d and other 2d. Both screens suck. :sadben:

Hence why I usually travel to watch films. Since last year, I only didn't travel for Deadpool and BvS. The rest of the superhero films I've seen in theaters (CW, SS, DS, GotG Vol. 2, WW, SM:H) I traveled to my state's capital cuz there we have better screens and lieMAX.

Edited by iJackSparrow
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, iJackSparrow said:

Yeah here would be like:

It is the same here. We have one theater above the 14 screens in the entire country (and it has 20 screens).

• Like 1

Just now, CJohn said:

It is the same here. We have one theater above the 14 screens in the entire country (and it has 20 screens).

Yeah it sucks. Wish we could get at least one true IMAX theater. We have literally zero. All lieMAX. I know 'cuz I went to all of them. The better one is in São Paulo, and even then it isn't a true IMAX. 

• Sad 1

Just now, iJackSparrow said:

Yeah it sucks. Wish we could get at least one true IMAX theater. We have literally zero. All lieMAX. I know 'cuz I went to all of them. The better one is in São Paulo, and even then it isn't a true IMAX. 

We only have two theaters with IMAX (both LieMAX as well), one theater with Blue Diamond Large Format Screen and two theaters with 4DX. We have a few with Dolby Atmos.

9 minutes ago, Matrix4You said:

I think Nut Job 2 will have good legs.

1st one did 3.3x. Add some sequelitis (maybe only a little cause this is starting so low compared to that : 8.9 vs 19.4 ow) and it could do 3.1-3.2x which gives 27.5-28.5 dom.

Matching NJ1's legs for 30 dom is the max imo.

The prod budget is only 40 though. Marketing couldn't have been much bigger.

Just now, CJohn said:

We only have two theaters with IMAX (both LieMAX as well), one theater with Blue Diamond Large Format Screen and two theaters with 4DX. We have a few with Dolby Atmos.

If I'm not mistaken, we have one in Porto Alegre (the one closest to me) , Curitiba (the first one I've attended to), São Paulo, Rio de Janeiro, Minas Gerais and Ceará. All of them are lieMAX but they are literally the best we have, so hence why I have to go to those. 

Just now, iJackSparrow said:

If I'm not mistaken, we have one in Porto Alegre (the one closest to me) , Curitiba (the first one I've attended to), São Paulo, Rio de Janeiro, Minas Gerais and Ceará. All of them are lieMAX but they are literally the best we have, so hence why I have to go to those. 

Yeah, I stopped giving a fuck about IMAX. Last movie I saw there was Rogue One. I actually saw Annabelle today in 4DX but it is the 2nd time since those screens opened over a year ago. I am in no rush to return there either.

My county has a total of 5 theaters:

The 12 screen AMC closest to me. The screens aren't huge and lack masking since the renovation, but tickets are cheap and the recliners are great. Plus, it's only about 10 minutes away from me, so it's super convenient. 

Three 8 screen theaters that are independently owned and share releases. The seating is dogshit at two of them, which is a shame because 95% of indie films get placed at the worst one.

A 16 screen Epic (regional chain in the southeast) on the south end of the county. I haven't been there in about 3 and a half years, but apparently they've gone downhill a lot and have bad maintenance. They have another theater under construction close to me that will have two XL screens with Atmos, so that'll be nice (only 12 screens though, which doesn't solve my indie issue).

Really good start for Annabelle. It had the lowest opening of its franchise to date, yes, but opening near its poorly-received predecessor is a win. We'll see whether it can get to $100 million, but the lack of big competition between now and It is encouraging.

Dunkirk held solidly once again. It's still going to need smaller drops and a bigger push around Labor Day to hit $200 million, though.

The Nut Job 2 didn't recapture its predecessor's surprise success. The first film always felt like a fluke (especially considering that Frozen was displaying unusually strong staying power at the time), so opening three-and-a-half years later in late summer assured that it wouldn't make as much money. Even with so few options for kids, I'm astonished that it cracked 4,000 theaters - but not at all astonished that it had no problem setting a new low for a film released so wide.

The Dark Tower didn't crumble as badly as it could have, but that hold isn't anything to write home about either. The relative weakness of the upcoming release schedule should keep it alive a little longer than most poorly-received films.

The Emoji Movie had another unspectacular weekend hold, but weekdays are definitely inflating its legs.

Girls Trip hasn't had the longevity I thought it would after that second weekend hold, but it's still chugging along nicely and should finish above Bad Moms.

The Glass Castle landed with a thud. Much like Angela's Ashes in early 2000, it's an adaptation that could have done quite well with the right campaign, but the studio never bothered with figuring out how to sell it.

It's too bad that Detroit got smashed, but a big drop was inevitable with how wide the release was, how poorly it did last weekend, and how the events in Charlottesville probably dampened the public's already minimal interest in seeing such a heavy film about race relations.

• Like 5

55 minutes ago, iJackSparrow said:

Yeah here would be like:

The single movie theater in my town has two, one 3d and other 2d. Both screens suck. :sadben:

Hence why I usually travel to watch films. Since last year, I only didn't travel for Deadpool and BvS. The rest of the superhero films I've seen in theaters (CW, SS, DS, GotG Vol. 2, WW, SM:H) I traveled to my state's capital cuz there we have better screens and lieMAX.

Like Portugal you have one theatre above 15 :) ,one with 18

51 minutes ago, CJohn said:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

10 minutes ago, Webslinger said:

Really good start for Annabelle. It had the lowest opening of its franchise to date, yes, but opening near its poorly-received predecessor is a win. We'll see whether it can get to $100 million, but the lack of big competition between now and It is encouraging.

Dunkirk held solidly once again. It's still going to need smaller drops and a bigger push around Labor Day to hit $200 million, though.

The Nut Job 2 didn't recapture its predecessor's surprise success. The first film always felt like a fluke (especially considering that Frozen was displaying unusually strong staying power at the time), so opening three-and-a-half years later in late summer assured that it wouldn't make as much money. Even with so few options for kids, I'm astonished that it cracked 4,000 theaters - but not at all astonished that it had no problem setting a new low for a film released so wide.

The Dark Tower didn't crumble as badly as it could have, but that hold isn't anything to write home about either. The relative weakness of the upcoming release schedule should keep it alive a little longer than most poorly-received films.

The Emoji Movie had another unspectacular weekend hold, but weekdays are definitely inflating its legs.

Girls Trip hasn't had the longevity I thought it would after that second weekend hold, but it's still chugging along nicely and should finish above Bad Moms.

The Glass Castle landed with a thud. Much like Angela's Ashes in early 2000, it's an adaptation that could have done quite well with the right campaign, but the studio never bothered with figuring out how to sell it.

It's too bad that Detroit got smashed, but a big drop was inevitable with how wide the release was, how poorly it did last weekend, and how the events in Charlottesville probably dampened the public's already minimal interest in seeing such a heavy film about race relations.

Seems Alien Covenant would have done great in August

4 minutes ago, Matrix4You said:

Seems Alien Covenant would have done great in August

A:C had a very good release period. Even though POTC was in the 2nd weekend, there was Memorial Day to cushion it (and POTC didn't open gangbusters either).

A:C got a good release but f'ed up for other reasons.

Godzilla too opened 1 week before Mem Day and ended with only 2.15x. But at least the ow was humongous.

Edited by a2knet

So APES is looking good for 475 ww

~30 more from current OS markets (it added 25+ in last 7 days). So 176.6 + ~30 = 207

148 dom

90 China

30 SK + Japan combined

207 OS (excluding Ch, SK, J) + 148 Dom + 90 Ch + 30 SK&J = 475 ww

• Like 1

"The total in IMAX is $62M global of which $27.7M is from international. Italy, China and Japan join the mission later this month and in early September."

$34.3m from DOM's IMAX, representing 22.3% share from DUNKIRK's total box office gross