CJohn

WEEKEND THREAD | ANNABELLE 2 - $35m; DUNKIRK - $11.4m; NUT JOB 2 - $8.9m; BABY DRIVER Crosses $100m!!!

1 hour ago, CJohn said:

@MCKillswitch123 Horror OW record here has been absolutely smashed as Annabelle Creation flied past The Conjuring 2 (I will remind you that The Conjuring 2 OW had an holiday on Friday which inflated his gross). With the holiday tomorrow, I expect the total week numbers to be absolutely unheard of for the genre here as it will sure pass the total of The Conjuring until Thursday (Annabelle should go down sometime over next weekend). The TCU is a beast. It is the only successful horror franchise to breakout so big into the mainstream. Paranormal Activity, Friday the 13th, SAW, etc, were miles away from these numbers.

Not even NOS could save Atomic Blonde, tho.

http://www.ica-ip.pt/fotos/downloads/ranking_fds_10_a_13_agosto_2017_141900442259919cd70646a.pdf

Portuguese people know greatness. But how the hell did these Conjuring movies catch so much popularity to begin with? I know they're great, but is that is the ONLY reason? Word of mouth? There's gotta be something else there. A horror movie past 200K in OW is pretty crazy. [And yet still Emoji came in #1, but whatever]

I did nothing something crazy though - THE BOSS BABY MADE 1.7M??? Holy shit I had no idea it was that successful :ohmygod:

Also, how the hell are Moonlight and La La Land still playing and Wonder Woman is nowhere to be found?

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, MCKillswitch123 said:

Portuguese people know greatness. But how the hell did these Conjuring movies catch so much popularity to begin with? I know they're great, but is that is the ONLY reason? Word of mouth? There's gotta be something else there. A horror movie past 200K in OW is pretty crazy. [And yet still Emoji came in #1, but whatever]

I did nothing something crazy though - THE BOSS BABY MADE 1.7M??? Holy shit I had no idea it was that successful :ohmygod:

Also, how the hell are Moonlight and La La Land still playing and Wonder Woman is nowhere to be found?

WOM seems to be the answer. People saw The Conjuring and Annabelle at home and liked them. Both of them did well in theaters too so that helps. Marketing being very good doesn't hurt either. The Conjuring 2 is where the big explosion happened tho. The franchise is finding a new peak here with each new movie. Don't expect It to perform like this here. I think numbers similar to The Conjuring, Annabelle and Split would already be amazing. I am expecting less than those. The Conjuring 2 doubled the first movie and Annabelle 2 might do the same when compared to the first Annabelle.

Boss Baby was a gigantic hit over the April holidays and had good legs all over May since it had no competition (Leap did well over May too).

Lastly, LLL and Moonlight probably had special shows in small local theaters because it is the first time both show up in quite a while.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, CJohn said:

WOM seems to be the answer. People saw The Conjuring and Annabelle at home and liked them. Both of them did well in theaters too so that helps. Marketing being very good doesn't hurt either. The Conjuring 2 is where the big explosion happened tho. The franchise is finding a new peak here with each new movie. Don't expect It to perform like this here. I think numbers similar to The Conjuring, Annabelle and Split would already be amazing. I am expecting less than those. The Conjuring 2 doubled the first movie and Annabelle 2 might do the same when compared to the first Annabelle.

Boss Baby was a gigantic hit over the April holidays and had good legs all over May since it had no competition (Leap did well over May too).

Lastly, LLL and Moonlight probably had special shows in small local theaters because it is the first time both show up in quite a while.

I think that these movies are only gonna do more and more, starting with The Nun, since people seem to be aware that the Conjuring franchise aka the REAL Dark Universe (haha Universal) is a thing now, and The Conjuring 2 was an explosive hit after all. Especially after Annabelle 2, unlike its predecessor, being (apparently) an actually good movie on its own too. Wom really is a driving force. And yeah, I'm not expecting It to do this well at all, since it is more of an American phenomenom (like Star Wars). And it's not just here... I mean, Creation has a damn good shot at 300M+ WW, which is INSANE - it would be the third of the 4 movies to do that (and the 1st Annabelle still made over 250M).

Figures on Boss Baby's case. But the fact that it made almost 2M blows me away... damn. How much did Zootopia, Finding Dory and Moana make, again?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, MCKillswitch123 said:

I think that these movies are only gonna do more and more, starting with The Nun, since people seem to be aware that the Conjuring franchise aka the REAL Dark Universe (haha Universal) is a thing now, and The Conjuring 2 was an explosive hit after all. Especially after Annabelle 2, unlike its predecessor, being (apparently) an actually good movie on its own too. Wom really is a driving force. And yeah, I'm not expecting It to do this well at all, since it is more of an American phenomenom (like Star Wars). And it's not just here... I mean, Creation has a damn good shot at 300M+ WW, which is INSANE - it would be the third of the 4 movies to do that (and the 1st Annabelle still made over 250M).

Figures on Boss Baby's case. But the fact that it made almost 2M blows me away... damn. How much did Zootopia, Finding Dory and Moana make, again?

The Nun opens in July, which just like Conjuring 2 and Annabelle 2, will have teens out of school and ready to fill theaters to watch it on OD. The TCU has become a blockbuster horror franchise OS.

Zootopia (nearly 1.9M€ and 391000 tickets sold), Dory (nearly 2.1M€ and 420000 tickets sold) and Sing (nearly 2.1M€ and 425000 tickets sold) were all bigger than Boss Baby. Moana (1.6M€ and 330000 tickets sold), whoever, did less than Boss Baby. I won't even mention Pets (nearly 3M€ and 602000 tickets sold) since that was bigger than DM3.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, CJohn said:

The Nun opens in July, which just like Conjuring 2 and Annabelle 2, will have teens out of school and ready to fill theaters to watch it on OD. The TCU has become a blockbuster horror franchise OS.

Zootopia (nearly 1.9M€ and 391000 tickets sold), Dory (nearly 2.1M€ and 420000 tickets sold) and Sing (nearly 2.1M€ and 425000 tickets sold) were all bigger than Boss Baby. Moana (1.6M€ and 330000 tickets sold), whoever, did less than Boss Baby. I won't even mention Pets (nearly 3M€ and 602000 tickets sold) since that was bigger than DM3.

250-300K OW for The Nun, here we go. WB does have a mad marketing machine here in Portugal (never forget that 1M OW by Suicide Squad). Annabelle will drive the franchise to 1B WW, which is insane for an R-rated horror franchise. All hail the God of Wan.

So.... basically, Illumination is a monster. When Sing sells as much as Finding Dory, that tells me so much. Pets' WW success is baffling. The marketing campaign was just that good - hell, the teaser trailer is imo the best trailer ever made for an animated movie and the driving force behind its openings everywhere.

8 minutes ago, MCKillswitch123 said:

250-300K OW for The Nun, here we go. WB does have a mad marketing machine here in Portugal (never forget that 1M OW by Suicide Squad). Annabelle will drive the franchise to 1B WW, which is insane for an R-rated horror franchise. All hail the God of Wan.

So.... basically, Illumination is a monster. When Sing sells as much as Finding Dory, that tells me so much. Pets' WW success is baffling. The marketing campaign was just that good - hell, the teaser trailer is imo the best trailer ever made for an animated movie and the driving force behind its openings everywhere.

I haven't forgotten that Dunkirk hasn't surpassed 1m in local currency. :apocalypse:

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, MCKillswitch123 said:

They are a well oiled machine. The It trailer is attached to every copy of Annabelle and lets not forget they turned King Arthur into a hit.

Lets not forget Disney is absolutely dog shit and all their movies are affected by the awful/trash marketing. WB and Universal/Paramount have amazing NOS teams selling the movies (that is why Illumination is so beastly, Fantastic Beasts was bigger than Rogue One or Baywatch exploded madly, for example). Same with Big Pictures handling Sony and FOX. There is a reason why SMH is at 202000 tickets sold while the biggest MCU movie of a single hero released by Disney is IM3 with 180000 tickets sold.

2 minutes ago, MrPink said:

I haven't forgotten that Dunkirk hasn't surpassed 1m in local currency. :apocalypse:

It will never reach it at this point:sparta:

It performed within my expectations tho.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, MrPink said:

Then WB sucks at marketing in Portugal, that is all.

The fact that it did what it did is a minor miracle. Marketing was everywhere. Nolan name carried the damn thing :sparta:

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, CJohn said:

They are a well oiled machine. The It trailer is attached to every copy of Annabelle and lets not forget they turned King Arthur into a hit.

Um, sorry what? Since when was King Arthur a hit?

21 minutes ago, CJohn said:

Lets not forget Disney is absolutely dog shit and all their movies are affected by the awful/trash marketing. WB and Universal/Paramount have amazing NOS teams selling the movies (that is why Illumination is so beastly, Fantastic Beasts was bigger than Rogue One or Baywatch exploded madly, for example). Same with Big Pictures handling Sony and FOX. There is a reason why SMH is at 202000 tickets sold while the biggest MCU movie of a single hero released by Disney is IM3 with 180000 tickets sold.

Disney seems to concentrate too much of their marketing either on children's cable channels (i.e. their own Disney Channel, Panda, SIC K) or on children's morning broadcasts. Their bad. A complete revamp of their marketing team would be welcome.

Tbh though, I'm not shocked at all that Beasts beat Rogue One. Again, Star Wars is not that much of a phenomenom here, but on the other hand, Harry Potter is THE shit. That is basically our own Star Wars. I was on the world launch of the Cursed Child book in Porto last year..... the jungle of human mass present was comparable to a pop star concert. I'm not kidding - it was insanity. Beasts breaking out massively was all but guaranteed imo.

Baywatch doing great is INEXCUSABLE, though.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, MrGlass2 said:

Serious question: what is so great about the Conjuring/Annabelle movies? I haven't seen any of them but they look rather generic to me, so their box office success has always puzzled me.

I can't speak to the 'Annabelle' movies, as I haven't seen them. But 'The Conjuring' films are great, for me, because of Ed and Lorraine Warren, who are such well-developed, likeable, and generous characters - their relationship/partnership with each other feels foundational to the films. Additionally, both of the films explore and exploit the insecurities of different working class families, and interweave those stories with old school Christian/religious horror motifs. Though fundamentally they are simple stories, they feel fresh and really work.

And James Wan is an excellent director - very, very good at his craft, at least with these films. He knows how to create building tension and atmosphere, but is also good at crafting good jump scares (which is a skill I value highly). Overall, the films feel different from most horror movies for me, in that they are very good horror films, but in some ways they also kind of just feel like films that happen to be of the horror genre. 

Peace,
Mike

• Like 3