That One Girl

Christopher Robin | August 3, 2018 | 70% on RT (and rising!)

Smart release date. This going to be traditional animation innit? They had Pooh in July 2011 and it took a hit in weekend 3. Lost a lot of theaters after the 2-week safety. I remember thinking that it will easily go over 30 dom and maybe leg it to 40 dom after it showed a good hold in weekend 2. Ended at 27 dom.

Date(click to view chart) Rank WeekendGross %Change Theaters Change / Avg. Gross-to-Date Week#
Jul 15–17 6 $7,857,076 - 2,405 - $3,267 $7,857,076 1
Jul 22–24 8 $5,162,046 -34.3% 2,405 - $2,146 $17,594,297 2
Jul 29–31 11 $1,777,625 -65.6% 1,632 -773 $1,089 $22,435,490 3
Aug 5–7 14 $806,782 -54.6% 716 -916 $1,127 $24,440,628 4
Edited by a2knet

3 minutes ago, a2knet said:

Smart release date. This going to be 2D innit? They had Pooh in July 2011 and it took a hit in weekend 3. Lost a lot of theaters after the 2-week safety. I remember thinking that it will easily go over 30 dom and maybe leg it to 40 dom after it showed a good hold in weekend 2. Ended at 27 dom.

Date(click to view chart) Rank WeekendGross %Change Theaters Change / Avg. Gross-to-Date Week#
Jul 15–17 6 $7,857,076 - 2,405 - $3,267 $7,857,076 1
Jul 22–24 8 $5,162,046 -34.3% 2,405 - $2,146 $17,594,297 2
Jul 29–31 11 $1,777,625 -65.6% 1,632 -773 $1,089 $22,435,490 3
Aug 5–7 14 $806,782 -54.6% 716 -916 $1,127 $24,440,628 4

I suspect it's going to more Pete's Dragon than Beauty and the Beast. That wasn't released in 3D IIRC and that did fine considering it's not exactly a big brand.

6 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

I suspect it's going to more Pete's Dragon than Beauty and the Beast. That wasn't released in 3D IIRC and that did fine considering it's not exactly a big brand.

By 2D I meant old-school hand-drawn Disney animation (though these days 'hand-drawn' ones are done on computers too).

3 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

It'll probably be a live action/CGI hybrid 

oh ok, like alvin or smurfs. then it's a bigger release compared to traditional animation. august is a good date for it. safely away from the june-july big animations, but as we have seen recently august can be very profitable.

2 minutes ago, a2knet said:

oh ok, like alvin or smurfs. then it's a bigger release compared to traditional animation. august is a good date for it. safely away from the june-july big animations, but as we have seen recently august can be very profitable.

I imagine it'll probably be $50-60m similar to Paddington so it doesn't need a huge gross to make money 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

I imagine it'll probably be $50-60m similar to Paddington so it doesn't need a huge gross to make money 

Sounds great to me. Paddington was class and if Disney has something similar in mind it's great. Paddington is one of the rare good live-action animations. Stuart Little 1 was another.

7 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

I assume it will be a mix like Paddington and Pete's Dragon.

McGregor and Atwell are certainly playing non animated charterers - a set photo from last week's first day of filming

BPgJVTU.jpg

This sounds like Hook

This is the Marc Forster-directed film about the working class Robin, played by Ewan McGregor, who encounters Winnie-the-Pooh who sets him back on a joyful life. 

1 minute ago, YourMother said:

Realism I think.

Thing is, Pooh and co resemble soft toys than actual animals which make sense considering that how they illustrated in the AA Milne, the only animals who look somewhat realistic are Rabbit and Owl, I think a mix of realistic and non realistic could work. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

Thing is, Pooh and co resemble soft toys than actual animals which make sense considering that how they illustrated in the AA Milne, the only animals who look somewhat realistic are Rabbit and Owl, I think a mix of realistic and non realistic could work. 

That's what I'm thinking too. Should do anywhere from Pete's Dragon numbers to $150M, but that's the maximum.

14 minutes ago, Fancyarcher said:

Shouldn't this be merged with the Goodbye Christopher Robin thread, or at least the first two or three pages anyway? The beginning of the thread is about the live-action Disney film anyway. 

Part of that thread should be merged with this one yes.  The other way around we just have the same old mess.

6 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

Part of that thread should be merged with this one yes.  The other way around we just have the same old mess.

The first two pages are entirely discussions about the Disney film, so I'd say those can be merged with this thread. 

• Like 1