Rorschach

Rorschach's Reviews 3.0 Year 1

December Part 1:

Cold as the Void

While it starts off rather promising with a creepy setting and two actors I really like, the film ultimately devolves into your standard haunting movie with an incredibly disappointing ending.

C+

The Truth About the Harry Quebert Affair

The film is intriguing as hell, always keeping making the viewer think it's going one way but then surprising you throughout. It was a treat to watch unfold. Props to @Bastien for making such a great mystery film. It's a hard genre to do well and you pulled it off very well.

A-

Extreme Dinosaurs

Another cartoon adaptation of an obscure property. At least this one has the Rock.

tumblr_lyhic9GkoC1ro91bjo1_500.gif

C

Faces and Voices: The True Story of Milli Vanilli

This film accomplished something I never knew was possible. It made me care about two musicians I have had no previous knowledge of and made me deeply care for their struggles against the monster that is record company execs (I joke of course...:ph34r:). Christoph Waltz finally gets another great villain role to sink his teeth into and the rest of the cast do exceptionally well too. An emotionally powerful biopic that makes me wanna look more into the real-life band and their music.

A-

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

December Part 2:

The Hunchback of Notre Dame

I didn't get a chance to watch the original until around May/June of this year. It was one of those Disney films I just never watched as a kid. Don't ask why I just never did for whatever reason. Long story short, it's easily one of my new favorite Disney films. It's definitely a flawed film but I was willing to overlook many of the films glaring details in favor of its much darker story. It is probably Disney's darkest film to date. With that being said, this remake is a damn amazing adaptation. With the PG-13 rating, this film is able to not hold back and give us a truly gripping and epic musical. Everything great about the original is great here as well. The acting, the visuals, the immense production design, the freakin' songs, everything is translated so well to live-action. Eddie Redmayne is endearing as Quasimodo and definitely brought a lot of raw emotion to the character needed for the role. Jessica Szohr and Josh Dallas also play their roles as Esmerelda and Phoebus. The real MVP of the film though is Charles Dance as Judge Frollo. Frollo is just as intimidating, just as fierce, and just as complex as he was in the animated film. If legitimately deserves to win Best S. Actor at the Oscars he's that damn good. The biggest praise I can give this film is that it takes all of the flaws in the original and improves upon them. Specifically, the toned-down role of the Gargoyles (thank God, they annoyed the shit out of me in the original) and the amplifying of the dark storyline. As a result, the story feels much more tonally consistent throughout and makes for an amazing experience. Also, the film wasn't afraid to deviate from the original either (i.e. killing off one of the main characters), something I feel was sorely lacking in the horrendous excuse of a Disney film made earlier this year.

If I do have one flaw with the film, it would probably be that the removal of "God Help the Outcasts" was probably a mistake. While the song put in its place in its place was good, I feel it didn't have the same emotional impact that the original had. That being said, the new song wasn't bad either so I'm not complaining. Overall, this remake pays tribute to the original by carving out its own path and fully embracing the dark nature of the story. Never thought the best Disney remake would be a CAYOM film.

A

• Astonished 1

December Part 3:

ReBoot

It was a pretty fun animated film but I don't think it's as good as it could've been. Fell a little flat for me sometimes.

B-

Tubular!

It's the 90s wrapped up in one film. TO THE EXTREME!!!!!

C

When Winter Comes

Oh hey, a film that takes place in winter that stars a psycho dad played by a talented actor that goes crazy and chases them with an ax in the snow and then dies in a painful way (oh and also ghosts are involved too somehow :wintf:). Definitely, haven't seen that movie somewhere before.

D+

Touching Spirit Bear

I found it a little hard to feel sympathy for Cole but I eventually grew to like him as a character alright. The film itself isn't so bad it's just the characters that populate it, in the beginning, are quite unlikeable. Just like Cole, I grew to understand the other characters much more which made me raise my grade up for this film a bit. It's not perfect but it definitely has good intentions overall.

B

• Like 1

@cookie's The Adventures of Scrooge McDuck

@spaghetti!'s Seeing Her

@spaghetti!'s Me and My Shadow

@cookie's The Hunchback of Notre Dame

@alpha's Flowers for Algernon

[/spoiler]

Edited by Rorschach
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1