baumer

Kingsman The Golden Circle (2017)

Grade it  

33 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it

Even with the underwhelming critical response, I still went into Kingsman: The Golden Circle with a reasonable amount of excitement. The trailers were fun, the cast looked great, and the franchise seemed primed for further growth after its promising beginning. And indeed, there are plenty of individual pieces of The Golden Circle that work, but when jammed together into a 141-minute running time that paradoxically feels both too long and too rushed, it's an inconsistent disappointment. The set pieces are all wildly entertaining and the cast delivers fun work across the board, but the film bites off more than it can chew with a barrage of plot threads that feel like they could sustain at least two different movies. I admire the ambition and scope Matthew Vaughn was aiming for in expanding the Kingsman universe, but it's too much at once and doesn't land as effectively as its predecessor.

B-

Stray Observations:

- I enjoyed Julianne Moore's villain thoroughly. She knows what kind of movie she's in and chews the scenery with disturbing glee every time she appears onscreen.

- Of all the plot threads to expand upon from the first film, why did they choose to make the Swedish princess - whose major contribution to the first film was being the butt (hehe) of one of its dirtier jokes - the love interest? Pairing Eggsy with Roxy would have been predictable, yes, but it also would have made much more sense in light of how each of these characters were developed the first time around.

- Speaking of Roxy... yeah, the fact that she only appeared every so briefly in a meeting room in the trailers was a dead giveaway that she wasn't going to last long.

- After seeing the movie, I read on IMDB that the original cut of the film was 80 minutes longer. Given how much happens in the film and how quickly it rushes from point to point, I'm not the slightest bit surprised to hear that the equivalent of an entire feature-length film was left on the cutting room floor.

Felt like one of the worst script (for a well funded talently made/cast movie) I ever saw in theater (I skipped a lot of bad movies too).

Felt like they kill all the Kingsman just so loosing time trying to re-program Colin Firth character will not seem completely stupid that is paying a lot of time just for that, but nothing in the movie make any sense.

) Trying to go public and establishing a brand to sell drugs legally like that, except the obvious she would be arrested right away there is no such thing as like she ask that would not be reverted in a second, but also she think the consumer would go for the product of the crazy company that poisoned everyone, that made no sense at all.

) The over complicated made on the spot individual cage prison, what was the point of that.......

) Everything was fixed with some magic deux-ex machina to problems that made no sense, yet the movie is so long they could have made a good setup for everything (for example what is the point of having a deathly spinning aerial tram and the solution is a magic lasso cutting it loose over the air (couple of feet later would have been too late) to then be saved with a convenient parachute...

) Everyone had the worst motivations

) Oh that fragile glass with world saving antidote, I will just pass it around and out of is very nice casing for no reason at all......

) They changed a room to make it so it would be filled with water (remember they just learned who he was), really ? The statemens care that much about him , why ...?

A lot of the actions/production felt way too CGI, completely weightless and overused shifting speed imo, once you have the people dying at the beginning and people being resuscitated the notion of stake became all strange. Some of the last one were good, but some of the first like the very first one was terrible. And all of this so a magical robot hand can hack a car (has if any of this was needed for that)

I thought I would have still liked it despite the mediocre reviews because I really liked the first and still had the same director, but no, should have went full austin powers if they wanted too go that ridiculous imo, that in between serious tone but completely everyone and everything make no sense didn't work for me (that said, still well made in many aspect maybe an other day it would have work better).

The president was also a good character in this (probably the best by far).

• Like 2

I pretty much loved the first one and hated this one with the exception of the last 20 minutes.  @Jay Hollywood pretty much nailed all of my gripes about it.  

Toe me, if felt like a bunch of skits thrown together, not a real movie.  I didn't care for how little Tatum and Bridges and Berry were in the movie.  Tatum just shows up for five minutes and then disappears.  And Julianne Moore's logic in the film is all wrong.  Why would the biggest drug dealer in the world want drugs legalized?  She's obviously a billionaire and if she wanted to she could live anywhere in the world and no one could touch her.  But her thought process is to get it legalizedd so she can make more money?  LOL, if she legalized it, then she'd have the government taking their cut and she'd have even more competition.  Stupid.

I also hated the Moore character.  The shiny and bright villain that is really a cold blooded killer.  Yep, boring as hell.  

The Merlin death was pointless.

The dinner date with the royals was annoying.

Swimming in shit so he could go hang out with his friends was stupid.

I just didn't like it at all.  A complete downer and a huge disappointment considering how good the first one was.

5/10  

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Stutterng baumer Denbrough said:

Why would the biggest drug dealer in the world want drugs legalized?  She's obviously a billionaire and if she wanted to she could live anywhere in the world and no one could touch her.  But her thought process is to get it legalizedd so she can make more money?  LOL, if she legalized it, then she'd have the government taking their cut and she'd have even more competition.  Stupid.

No clearly she said to have maid 200b in profit the year before ( a joke high amount, much more than Apple I do not think they ever reached 100b in gross profit), it is clearly not for more money, it is to get recognition, she want to be a global star business woman like Steve Jobs/Jack Welch/Buffet and so on.

Still does not make much sense, it would fail, nothing in term of legalization because of terrorism would hold there is no such thing as cannot roll back because you said so/signed something mister President, and more importantly consumer would not buy from the crazy company that nearly killed everyone.

Felt the same as you overall, collection of scene not that cool with nothing making sense.

• Thanks 1

On 9/24/2017 at 1:25 AM, Jay Hollywood said:

Yikes!!!! What a pointless movie 

Vaughn is talented no doubt but Its all story and plot issues, just poor decisions from day one. 

Straight up, so much of this films runtime is wasted. Why is Firth in this? Why? He died so you threw in the Statesman give us Channing and so forth. Nope Lets spend so much pointless slow time bringing him back up to health and push these BRAND new characters we set up completely to the side. For what? To show that anyone can live if you get shot in the head in these movies now? 

Instead of trying to move the franchise forward it feels like it takes 2 steps back for every step.   Poorly paced and structured, lack of action in the front half. 

Way to much showing shit form the last movie, I could care less and none of this moves the story forward. It felt like they were just coming up with story beats just so they could shoe you clips from the last move. On top of that. It kept playing on the scenes  from the last movie like the drowning thing. Sometimes it kinda felt like comedy sequel not an action/spy sequel. 

It kinda treats Kingsman one as bigger than it is. Its  fine movie but its 2 years old. this isn't Star Wars or Pirates, trying to "play" on the story beats from the original on the second movie feels lazy. 

Half asssssed deaths.  - Remember the girl in the first movie who is basically pointless and becomes a girl kingsman and then does fucking nothing but fly a ballon. Well shes back for more pointless/meaning shit, you die in 5 minutes. Serisouly we get the half assed - WERE BESTIES connection so the audience cares LOL. 

They kill his best friend and Dog hahahahah c'mon his best friend who apparently wasn't his best friend in the last movie, has had 2 minutes of POINTLESS screen time to make us care? So when we kill him in 30 seconds your sad? Idk the point, I honesty don't. 

also  Wait wait wait WHY IS THAT DINNER SO IMPORTANT? How long does debriefing take? Because you got home and still had time to change and get ready, it was fucking 3 friends just coming over. I get its his b-day but it seemed like stretch I cant miss this hang out sesh smoking bowls on the couch. 

Merlins death was fucking lame too. His actual death and go out was fine and I liked it, but again it felt so half assed and thought up last minute. We can save people with head shots, we have a fucking MINE sweaper, we have fucking mine-o freeze spray and still on a simple gag. " oh look he didnt count he pushed him, awwwww now my foots stuck?" Idk the editing and story flow felt forced. 

The Bar scene were they recreate the Kingsman one scene was fucking awful for one reason,WHY DO THEY FIGHT. They've been sitting there having drinks for 15 minutes I promise and out of no where for no reason, just to but in the guy sitting the table stands up a picks a fight for NO REASON other that to copy the last fucking move. Fuck off with this lazy shit. 

The villain intro.... It works as a villain intro BUT What the fuck, so stupid and pointless. Why introduce a new character Angel  (who kills his friend) to join the club only to have him never do anything but DIEEEE . Why. why . why. Whats the point of having a random character be the one to "show" us around her town. He's not even in the fucking movie. 

Why does the Blonde Adviser to the President do drugs after she knows this is going on???? WHYYYY to try to convince the president if you did drugs he'd save you? They never say that,, but that would be even fucking stupider than taking known taintedly deadly drugs in the first place. 

Elton John, had one good moment and I like the idea, 1 solid 4th wall break, yay good for you. 3 wall breaks were he looks at the camera. Shame on youuuuuu 

Not always far to compare but nothing comes close individually to the church scene. 

Honestly so many scenes felt cut short. Not as in we needed more info but you feel like the are ether jumping straight to the end point of a scene or aren't sure how to where to end them.

- I do love the ideas though, the gadgets , Vaughn is creative no doubt, but this movie is completely unfocused. 

C (73)

Agreed. 

The deaths in the beginning was lame. Channing Tatum was wasted in film. Bringing back Firth was mistake. It pretty much makes pointless now you can't die in franchise. Whisky was a lame villain. I am expecting that they bring the girl Kingsman back in the third one. Saying she escaped. If they were killing all the Kingsman why not blow up there base. In case if any of them lived they could not just go back to base?

2/5 

• Like 2

The girl I took to this loved it, and now we're best friends on Snapchat and she wants to see Only the Brave with me. So yea

A+

in all honesty, the movie was fine. Disappointing if you look at it as a follow up to one of my favourite movies of 2015, but pretty damn entertaining in its own right if you throw logic out the window. Agreed that it could have, and should have, been much better

• Thanks 1

Kingsman: The Golden Circle is one of the most indulgent and bloated films in recent memory. There is no reason for this to be longer than two hours, and an argument can be made that a film like this best at hitting the 100-minute mark. No one in their right mind has the patience for a two-and-a-half-hour-long action-comedy in the vein of Kingsman. The plot is overly complicated and bloated, while also refusing to spend anytime on character development, instead moving from plot point to plot point without ever stopping to take a breath.

This is also a deeply personal blockbuster. The politics of this film are complex in their ugliness and clearly come from a place of confused frustration. The disappointment arises from Vaughn's previous works, which was usually smart about how it played with race and gender politics. Here, it's clear Vaughn actually cares for very little who aren't as white, masculine, and well-mannered as his leads. There is literally a scene where two men fight over who is a better agent than the other, where the winner is whoever coerces a clearly under-the-influence woman into having sex with them. No coincidence that the winner of the two men is the white one. But hey, if the hero asks for consent from his girlfriend to have sex with another woman, that makes it okay, right? (Ignore that she said no, of course!) This along with the Fox News cameos are downright irresponsible, especially considering how smart the first film tackles classist undertones into today's political landscape. Put these with the main female villain who's grossly underwritten despite having one of the best working actresses play her, the Hispanic hero who ends up constantly being the real villain of the movie, and the Republican president who isn't Donald Trump despite the first film being happy to make Obama evil and kill him on screen, and what do you get? Nothing good.

However, if you are able to turn off your brain, you'll probably have a good time, despite thinking it's overlong. Technically, the film is very well-made, and Egerton is still a charming lead. Mark Strong steals the show again, and even with her limited screentime, Julianne Moore is a lot of fun. The action typically astounds with its cartoony aspects, although the lack of any grounding in reality kinda makes it feel like a step down. If you can ignore the clearly awful political content of Kingsman: The Golden Circle, maybe you'll find a typical overlong blockbuster sequel that ignores a lot of what made the first film great, but still worth seeing. However, if you can't, like me, you'll regret ever spending on your money on it the first place. Stop this franchise right now. D+

First one was decent, this wasn't. Just a bizarre mess of bad ideas. It's not totally devoid of fun or laughs or good action, but for the most part I swapped between being bored, and being confused.

o Why does Eggsy call his girlfriend in the middle of doing his job?

o Career worst performance from Julianne Moore. She is the worst thing about this.

o elton john joke got old about three seconds in.

o once you revive a character who has been so clearly killed, there is no sense of danger for any character in this movie.