baumer

Kingsman The Golden Circle (2017)

Grade it  

33 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it

Totally a sequel. Over the top, over long, dumb villain but a lot of fun. Think Vaughn could have cut out the last fight and that double cross though. Really added nothing to the story or to Harrys arc. I get that they were trying to say he was gaining his skills back but they were pretty much already showing that and could have easily done it another way. At that point it was just like....alright enough. 

Reminded of a more fun version of Guardians Of The Galaxy 2 with all the music. Was also happy that they didn't film a lot of the fight scenes as fast as some from the first movie. It was easier to see what was going on for the most part. Channing Tatum was underused though.

Some people are going to have problems with a scene at Glastonbury but I didn't care. Dunno why this wasn't released in August. Felt like it belonged in the Summer.

Definitely not the first, but should do really well with the GA. Was never bored.

B

• Like 1

2 hours ago, somebody85 said:

Totally a sequel. Over the top, over long, dumb villain but a lot of fun. Think Vaughn could have cut out the last fight and that double cross though. Really added nothing to the story or to Harrys arc. I get that they were trying to say he was gaining his skills back but they were pretty much already showing that and could have easily done it another way. At that point it was just like....alright enough. 

Reminded of a more fun version of Guardians Of The Galaxy 2 with all the music. Was also happy that they didn't film a lot of the fight scenes as fast as some from the first movie. It was easier to see what was going on for the most part. Channing Tatum was underused though.

Some people are going to have problems with a scene at Glastonbury but I didn't care. Dunno why this wasn't released in August. Felt like it belonged in the Summer.

Definitely not the first, but should do really well with the GA. Was never bored.

B

The double cross had the slimmest of slimmest motivations that felt like they had to add a quick scene to the film after they realized they forgot to explain why. The final fight though was probably one of the better ones of the movie though so I can't complain about its inclusion despite the 30 minutes too long length

Another thing that felt undercooked was the whole thing regarding Merlin and Ginger being actual field agents. I know Merlin didn't necessarily have the desire to go, but not like 5 min after seeing dressed him as a Kingsman agent, he doesn't even partake really in the final battle by stepping on a god damned landmine for his admittedly over the top but sold well demise. Would have been nice to at least see some of the satisfaction of having him out there and kicking ass before going out.

• Like 2

A step down and way too long.  They killed Roxy (and the dog) and even worse brought back the princess and gave her a significant role.  The action was fun but a repeat of the church scene from the first one.  The Elton John scenes were terrible.

Why was Channing Tatum even in this movie.

• Like 1

Weaker than the first film and 10-20 minutes too long but still fun overall. I wish Channing Tatum had more to do as his character was fun, I would have shortened Elton John scenes as it's a joke that dragged out for too long. I do want to see a third Kingsman film and they left it open ended so that this film could serve as the conclusion but not closing the door entirely.

B.

Full thoughts:

If you liked the original Kingsman, you'll probably enjoy The Golden Circle. It's completely over the top and overlong but I still had a lot of fun. Everything everyone loved about the first movie is amplified twofold...so yeah, it's definitely a sequel, complete with a villain who can do whatever she wants with no explanation. To sum it up: it's a live action late 80s/early 90s cartoon that you are not meant to think about or take seriously. If you're willing to accept it as that then you'll probably have a blast, if not, then you'll probably find it extremely tiring. And make no mistake, The Golden Circle does feel like it's 142 minute run time and the climax borders on exhausting. But unlike a lot of other recent blockbusters it's not badly edited and pretty easy to follow so I was totally along for the ride. It also didn't feel as filler-ish as Guardians Of The Galaxy Vol. 2 (which it reminded me a lot of). Overall, far from perfect and nowhere near as memorable as the original but still an enjoyable trip back to this universe with plenty of crowd pleasing set pieces. - B

• Like 1

12 hours ago, MrPink said:

The double cross had the slimmest of slimmest motivations that felt like they had to add a quick scene to the film after they realized they forgot to explain why. The final fight though was probably one of the better ones of the movie though so I can't complain about its inclusion despite the 30 minutes too long length

Another thing that felt undercooked was the whole thing regarding Merlin and Ginger being actual field agents. I know Merlin didn't necessarily have the desire to go, but not like 5 min after seeing dressed him as a Kingsman agent, he doesn't even partake really in the final battle by stepping on a god damned landmine for his admittedly over the top but sold well demise. Would have been nice to at least see some of the satisfaction of having him out there and kicking ass before going out.

Yeah that whole double cross thing just felt unnecessary to me. It seemed like Harry was clearly holding his own against everything thrown at him in Cambodia (and this was long before Whiskey showed up). 

I thought the set piece was cool too but at that point in the movie it felt like too much of a good thing. If they wanted to do that, than cut out one of the fights before that because the climax just seemed to go on and on and on...so that fight didn't have as much impact as the others to me. I did like how Vaughn foreshadowed a lot of the objects that would be used though.

Agree on Merlin and Ginger. The whole double agents thing felt like sequelitis to me. But I did like the Take Me Home set piece due to how unexpected it felt (especially in a universe where people can come back from head shots). And yeah I'd have liked to see him in action too but at least he got to use his giant sword lol. I don't know why the writers had Eggsy step on the landmine. That seemed a bit out of character for him from the rest of the film but the scene itself made sense with his relationship to Merlin...so whatever.

2 hours ago, B D Joe said:

They killed Roxy (and the dog) 

Why was Channing Tatum even in this movie.

Agreed on Roxy. Wasn't happy they killed her off after having such a large role in the first. Before she dies she asks Eggsy if she is his best friend and I would have liked to see more of that.

Agreed on Channing Tatum too. Would have rather seen him in the main set pieces (think he would have had good chemistry with Taron Egerton) although Whiskey was a cool character. I think the reason they did this switch was so that they didn't have to kill him off at the end. Still don't agree with it especially with how much he was in the marketing.

Edited by somebody85
  • Like 1

A step down from the first but still enjoyable with some good laughs. 

Annoying they killed Roxy and the dog. It was also poorly done because I initially had the impression she might have survived. 

I kind felt the villain was to close to Austin Powers ridiculousness level in this though. 

I liked Elton although that's maybe  because he's performing here tomorrow and over half my family is going. (I have to babysit my nephew). 

I do credit them for fairly reasonable explanations for the return of two supposedly dead characters. 

Channing Tatum is in a second film this year heavily featuring "Take me home, country roads".  If he'd been in Alien:Covenant he would have had the trifecta. 

I did notice that unfortunately according to the map there was no cure in New Zealand. Sad!

Edit:Killing off Roxy, JB and Merlin just wasn't earned enough. 

Edited by DeeCee
  • Sad 1

Bigger, louder, longer, more violent, less coherent, and altogether less fun than its predecessor in every way. It's the kind of sequel that only exists because the original made too much money to not get one and ends up being a lazy rehash in the process. Some of the action scenes are cool though, and the Elton John is hilarious in a rather large supporting role as himself. C+

• Like 1

Yikes!!!! What a pointless movie 

Vaughn is talented no doubt but Its all story and plot issues, just poor decisions from day one. 

Straight up, so much of this films runtime is wasted. Why is Firth in this? Why? He died so you threw in the Statesman give us Channing and so forth. Nope Lets spend so much pointless slow time bringing him back up to health and push these BRAND new characters we set up completely to the side. For what? To show that anyone can live if you get shot in the head in these movies now? 

Instead of trying to move the franchise forward it feels like it takes 2 steps back for every step.   Poorly paced and structured, lack of action in the front half. 

Way to much showing shit form the last movie, I could care less and none of this moves the story forward. It felt like they were just coming up with story beats just so they could shoe you clips from the last move. On top of that. It kept playing on the scenes  from the last movie like the drowning thing. Sometimes it kinda felt like comedy sequel not an action/spy sequel. 

It kinda treats Kingsman one as bigger than it is. Its  fine movie but its 2 years old. this isn't Star Wars or Pirates, trying to "play" on the story beats from the original on the second movie feels lazy. 

Half asssssed deaths.  - Remember the girl in the first movie who is basically pointless and becomes a girl kingsman and then does fucking nothing but fly a ballon. Well shes back for more pointless/meaning shit, you die in 5 minutes. Serisouly we get the half assed - WERE BESTIES connection so the audience cares LOL. 

They kill his best friend and Dog hahahahah c'mon his best friend who apparently wasn't his best friend in the last movie, has had 2 minutes of POINTLESS screen time to make us care? So when we kill him in 30 seconds your sad? Idk the point, I honesty don't. 

also  Wait wait wait WHY IS THAT DINNER SO IMPORTANT? How long does debriefing take? Because you got home and still had time to change and get ready, it was fucking 3 friends just coming over. I get its his b-day but it seemed like stretch I cant miss this hang out sesh smoking bowls on the couch. 

Merlins death was fucking lame too. His actual death and go out was fine and I liked it, but again it felt so half assed and thought up last minute. We can save people with head shots, we have a fucking MINE sweaper, we have fucking mine-o freeze spray and still on a simple gag. " oh look he didnt count he pushed him, awwwww now my foots stuck?" Idk the editing and story flow felt forced. 

The Bar scene were they recreate the Kingsman one scene was fucking awful for one reason,WHY DO THEY FIGHT. They've been sitting there having drinks for 15 minutes I promise and out of no where for no reason, just to but in the guy sitting the table stands up a picks a fight for NO REASON other that to copy the last fucking move. Fuck off with this lazy shit. 

The villain intro.... It works as a villain intro BUT What the fuck, so stupid and pointless. Why introduce a new character Angel  (who kills his friend) to join the club only to have him never do anything but DIEEEE . Why. why . why. Whats the point of having a random character be the one to "show" us around her town. He's not even in the fucking movie. 

Why does the Blonde Adviser to the President do drugs after she knows this is going on???? WHYYYY to try to convince the president if you did drugs he'd save you? They never say that,, but that would be even fucking stupider than taking known taintedly deadly drugs in the first place. 

Elton John, had one good moment and I like the idea, 1 solid 4th wall break, yay good for you. 3 wall breaks were he looks at the camera. Shame on youuuuuu 

Not always far to compare but nothing comes close individually to the church scene. 

Honestly so many scenes felt cut short. Not as in we needed more info but you feel like the are ether jumping straight to the end point of a scene or aren't sure how to where to end them.

- I do love the ideas though, the gadgets , Vaughn is creative no doubt, but this movie is completely unfocused. 

C (73)

Edited by Jay Hollywood
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • ...wtf 1

This one was fun. Forget logic and enjoy this movie. Although i felt the first was superior to the 2nd part in terms of characterization and story-line.

One thing which irked me was Colin firths character his transformation from a Cool, Badass kinda Kingsman to you know what (In this movie)! But nevertheless it was justified and thats how it intended to be considering the route which the story took.

Found it cheesy at times but the awesomeness of Eggsy and Gallahad overpowers these defects!

Go for it.

8/10

7/10, B+

Fun ride but a bit overdone, the production values were too high for the tongue-in-cheek silliness on screen. And the action sequences were much too blurry, ok they didn't have action stars so it's difficult - maybe an approach like in the 70s Bond parodies would work better, you know - one punch and the baddies go down.

Matthew Vaughn sure does know how to make audiences have fun, and this is no exception! I did not feel this movie's length at all! It's High octane from beginning to end, and contains one of my favorite action sequences of the year. It retains many things that made the first Kingsman so great. Great returning cast members, a sweet villan, hilarious, and so entertaining. My only problems are some of the new characters are barely utilized, and some of the CGI/green screen looked like ass, but other than that, this is my most underrated film of the year. A-

Edited by afalconer7
misspelling
  • Like 2

It could've been much, much worse. I wasn't bored even with the runtime being felt, yet there's a lot of things missing that the first had; the lack of memorable action stands out the most, especially when Vaughn is trying to remake the church scene during the final fight. The humor is pretty lacking too save for Elton John's third act craziness and "That was the first decent shit I've had in 3 weeks!" (a lady in my theater sounded like she was orgasming over that line lmao). So yeah, it's fine. 7/10 | B-

• Like 1

Saw this last night was mixed on it, but I feel dissaponted about it more so now.

Minus the performances, Elton John saying Fuck You & and beating the shit out of the bad guys, and the opening action scene with Let's Go Crazy playing in the background this felt unnecessary in the end. The villain had a decent  objective but she was hardly in the film, the henchman was more in the film and felt overused way too much such as being used with the plot like his gf and his story just felt like it could've been trimmed.

Channing Tatum and the statesmen(minus the "I hate druggies") were just there, like their headquarters was more interesting than themselves.  

My other problem with the film was killing off characters too quick such as Roxie you could have made her into a Moneypenny like character for the Kingsman, but no. Kill off Merlin, so that we can have Halle Berry take over? 

What made the first Kingsman really a good movie, was that while it was serious at times you can have some fun with it and it knew what it was as it was an homage and also poked fun at the bond films. The sequel could've been like that again, but I guess Matthew Vaughn was watching a better action sequel known as Lethal Weapon 2 and copied that film instead.

Overall I might give this another shot on DVD. But for now this is a dissapointment. Not the worst film I've seen but a major letdown from a fun first movie. Grade:D+

• Like 2