filmlover

Thoroughbreds | Focus Features | Olivia Cooke, Anya Taylor-Joy, Anton Yelchin's last movie | March 9, 2018

Focus Features has released the Thoroughbreds teaser poster, which you can view in full in the gallery below. The upcoming drama-thriller from writer/director Cory Finley features one of the final performances by the late Anton Yelchin.

Childhood friends Lily and Amanda reconnect in suburban Connecticut after years of growing apart. Lily has turned into a polished, upper-class teenager, with a fancy boarding school on her transcript and a coveted internship on her resume; Amanda has developed a sharp wit and her own particular attitude, but all in the process of becoming a social outcast. Though they initially seem completely at odds, the pair bond over Lily’s contempt for her oppressive stepfather, Mark, and as their friendship grows, they begin to bring out one another’s most destructive tendencies. Their ambitions lead them to hire a local hustler, Tim, and take matters into their own hands to set their lives straight.

Olivia Cooke (Me and Earl and The Dying Girl, Bates Motel) stars as Amanda and Anya Taylor-Joy (Split, The Witch) plays Lily in the film. They’re joined by the late Yelchin (Star Trek Into Darkness, Green Room) as Tim.

Thoroughbreds will open in theaters on March 9, 2018.

http://www.comingsoon.net/g00/movies/news/893283-the-thoroughbreds-teaser-poster-and-photos?i10c.encReferrer=

Edited by filmlover
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, filmlover said:

It's probably telling that Focus bought it for a pretty penny at Sundance over a year ago but didn't release it until 14 months later. Guessing they didn't know how to sell it.

I think it's very weird for Focus Features to do this to Thoroughbreds; they distribute a wide variety of films ranging from Darkest Hour to Atomic Blonde, tending to each film according to its overall potential. Of course, I've seen online adverts for this film, but that's about it. Focus could've done a little more if they wanted to, I think.

1 hour ago, TombRaider said:

Anya is so amazing, i can see her getting an oscar nom in the next 2-3 years

Yeah....she will be the next big young female Academy awards regular  in the next few years, when the academy gets tired of J-Law, Stone and Saioirse Ronan. 

With all four wide releases receiving tepid critical responses this weekend, I think Thoroughbreds is in a good position, as a better quality film, to have a solid, if not surprising, limited release. The promise of quality is always a drawing factor for some.