Mockingjay Raphael

Weekend topic: BOM || Happy Death Day: $26.5M || Blade Runner: $15.1M || The Foreigner: $12.8M || IT: $6M || Annabelle: Creation at $300m WW

Normally by the time nominations are about to come out, there seems to be a consensus for most of the category thanks to precursors. That's not going to happen this year for a lot of categories, especially Picture, Director, and Actress.

Just now, WrathOfHan said:

Normally by the time nominations are about to come out, there seems to be a consensus for most of the category thanks to precursors. That's not going to happen this year for a lot of categories, especially Picture, Director, and Actress.

Well let's wait and see before we say that :lol:

Just now, That One Guy said:

In a perfect world, A Cure for Wellness would be nominated for best picture

in a perfect world, best animated feature would be removed this year because it'd be the best of the worst offering in years

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Blankments said:

in a perfect world, best animated feature would be removed this year because it'd be the best of the worst offering in years

This is true. Outside of Lego Batman and Underpants, everything was either serviceable or garbage. I have faith in that Coco will be of quality. The remainder of animated films outside of Coco both look like heaping shit sandwiches.

Edited by YourMother
Because I can't mention The Star on here even when calling it out for looking like trash or acknowledging its existence
  • Like 1

Just now, YourMother said:

This is true. Outside of Lego Batman and Underpants, everything was either serviceable or garbage. I have faith in that Coco will be of quality. The Star and Ferdinand both look like heaping shit sandwiches.

Lego Batman sucked dude

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • ...wtf 1
  • Knock It Off 1

This year is a much better Oscar race than usual in part because it's been a really terrific year for movies IMO. The more I think about it the more I think 2016 was one of the weaker years in ages for movies.

Too bad Best Actor looks so lame. Gary Oldman walking to the win for what looks like hammy ass crap is a mortal lock at this point unless Phantom Thread is much more accessible than expected. Stop glorifying Winston Churchill with 20 fucking things this year!

Just now, JohnnyGossamer said:

No chance for something like Lost City Of Z getting a nomination?

Not at all, too early and too forgotten and too deep of a year. But if they had released it last December, with a thinner year and a holiday release/box office, it could have snuck in. Kinda botched that one.

8 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

people said this around this time in whatever year it was the artist won everything but by january it was all so obvious.

3 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

This year is a much better Oscar race than usual in part because it's been a really terrific year for movies IMO. The more I think about it the more I think 2016 was one of the weaker years in ages for movies.

Too bad Best Actor looks so lame. Gary Oldman walking to the win for what looks like hammy ass crap is a mortal lock at this point unless Phantom Thread is much more accessible than expected. Stop glorifying Winston Churchill with 20 fucking things this year!

I think 2016 was a solid year for film. The blockbuster offerings sucked for the most part, but there were some great smaller films I'd put in contention for best of the decade.