Water Bottle

Classic Conversation Thread

2 hours ago, Cap said:

What in tarnation is going on with this TCM ratio.  Is this your new tactic for killing the network, Zas? Driving the audience insane. 

067EC09F-E418-41EE-A16D-2A1833A0F013.jpeg

Rejoice, you are viewing classical movies in the way that God intended (The 4:3 Aspect Ratio).

1 hour ago, The GOAT said:

Rejoice, you are viewing classical movies in the way that God intended (The 4:3 Aspect Ratio).

EXCEPT: Long Hot Summer was 16:9

image.png

and they are not even using the 4:3. Like look at Cat on a Hot Tin Roof. It is like some cropped TikTok hell:

BABFBBF3-2A88-49D6-B77F-2D1FBBAC3C7B.jpeg

982C7292-2DD4-40DB-A12A-337FF9BD78FF.jpeg

• Astonished 1

13 hours ago, Cap said:

EXCEPT: Long Hot Summer was 16:9

image.png

and they are not even using the 4:3. Like look at Cat on a Hot Tin Roof. It is like some cropped TikTok hell:

BABFBBF3-2A88-49D6-B77F-2D1FBBAC3C7B.jpeg

982C7292-2DD4-40DB-A12A-337FF9BD78FF.jpeg

I flipped past TCM yesterday and what I saw looked normal (bits of Somebody Up There Likes Me, Cool Hand Luke and Cat on a Hot Tin Roof). Maybe it was an East Coast/West Coast feed issue?

41 minutes ago, ChipDerby said:

The Blind Side was a sham

Who saw this coming?

Oher has been outspoken for years that the movie exaggerated his circumstances and lack of football knowledge. There were always jokes about the Tuohys having ulterior  motives for taking him in, not just out of the goodness of their hearts. Still I wouldn't have guessed it was that bad-they didn't even adopt him?

The Blind Side always got a lot of flack as a white savior story; the detractors will be feeling vindicated now.

• Like 5

On 8/14/2023 at 10:32 AM, ChipDerby said:

The Blind Side was a sham

Who saw this coming?

"Based upon a True Story"movies usually don't bear much resembalance to reality.

"COcaine Bear" is the ulitmate example of that. I liked the film (I have a warped sense of humor)  but don't tell me is has anything to do with what actually happened. (

On 8/14/2023 at 11:14 AM, BoxOfficeFangrl said:

I flipped past TCM yesterday and what I saw looked normal (bits of Somebody Up There Likes Me, Cool Hand Luke and Cat on a Hot Tin Roof). Maybe it was an East Coast/West Coast feed issue?

Oher has been outspoken for years that the movie exaggerated his circumstances and lack of football knowledge. There were always jokes about the Tuohys having ulterior  motives for taking him in, not just out of the goodness of their hearts. Still I wouldn't have guessed it was that bad-they didn't even adopt him?

The Blind Side always got a lot of flack as a white savior story; the detractors will be feeling vindicated now.

And I just though it was a badly written, cornball movie.

• Disbelief 1

The family responds!

The family at the center of The Blind Side, which chronicles Michael Oher’s life story out of poverty, has accused the retired NFL player of fabricating accusations that they lied about adopting him and cut him out of a deal for the rights to the book the film is based off of. A lawyer for the family says Oher tried to extort them out of $15 million and made the allegations “as a cynical attempt to drum up attention in the middle of his latest book tour.”

In a statement, Sean and Leigh Anne Tuohy also confirm Oher’s claim that they negotiated a deal with 20th Century Studios giving them and their two children a lump sum and profit participation from the movie but say that they willingly split the proceeds with Oher.

Blind Side Lawsuit: Michael Oher Accused of “Shakedown” by Tuohy Lawyer – The Hollywood Reporter

To be fair to them, the cynic within naturally can't help but roll my eyes any time one of these lawsuits that essentially boil down to "hey, remember the money you owe me?" happen so many years later. 2009 doesn't seem that long ago, but at the same time...well, it is lol. Usually these controversies surrounding an Oscar-winning box office smash happen within much closer proximity to the movie's release (and also, 99% of the time, tend to have zero staying power).

But hey, at least someone might get a movie out of this in the end. Ka-ching!

This is a great example of why you should never believe something just because it was claimed in a lawsuit.

When lawyers draft a lawsuit, they present the best possible case they can without outright lying (and a lot of times they come perilously close to outright lying).  They leave out facts, leave out context, and use every rhetorical trick to make their opponents look like the worst people on Earth.  If a lawsuit doesn't make the person filing it look to be in the right (at least legally), the lawyers involved seriously screwed up.

And, of course, their opponents lawyers will do exactly the same thing from the other side with their response.  Until the real facts come out via discovery and the trial it is impossible to know what really happened and you should reserve judgement.

Another one bites the dust...

How is this the most surprising tidbit from the article?

Addressing photos that showed Asghari and Spears without their wedding bands, Cohen told PEOPLE that Asghari simply took off his ring because he was filming a movie. While it was unclear what movie Asghari was filming, he announced in November that he landed a role in the Taylor Sheridan-created television series, Lioness.

Mr. Ex Britney is on that Paramount+ show with Nicole Kidman and Zoë Saldaña?!

Looks as if everybody involved in the Blind Side mess has feet of clay, with Ohey;s story falling apart.

People are always looking for clearly defined, Simplistic Good Guys and Bad Guys in real life situations, problem is everything is usually a lot more grey on both sides in real life.

42 minutes ago, dudalb said:

Looks as if everybody involved in the Blind Side mess has feet of clay, with Ohey;s story falling apart.

People are always looking for clearly defined, Simplistic Good Guys and Bad Guys in real life situations, problem is everything is usually a lot more grey on both sides in real life.

Honestly, there's not much happening here that we don't often see pop up as a controversy during awards season, especially for a movie inspired by a true story, a particular genre of film in which liberties are bound to be taken to make a basic story in which not a whole lot really happened more cinematic. This one just happens to be occurring nearly 15 years after the movie was made.

"If that's what he wants to do is terminate it, we're glad to do so," said attorney Randall Fishman. "As a matter of fact, it is our intent to offer to enter into a consent order as it relates to the conservatorship, and then if they have other issues, we'll deal with them."

Asked why Oher was not adopted during the initial legal proceedings, Fishman said "It didn't make any difference to the Tuohys."

When asked why the conservatorship was not ended sooner, Fishman said that "nobody even thought about it."

And Several major companies have pulled ads from Twitter or whatever the hell Musk is calling it nowdays....after the story leaked/broke that Musk is delibertly slowing down/thottling speeds for links to major mainstream newsites and other webisites whose politics Musk does not agree with. Twitter going belly up is only a matter of time.