Water Bottle

Classic Conversation Thread

Here's a good read on the Dixon controversy: http://www.independent.co.uk/voices/three-buildings-outside-ebbing-missouri-racism-row-twitter-martin-mcdonagh-oscars-frances-mcdormand-a8178861.html

Three Billboards Spoilers [Mod Edit]

Spoiler

But he isn’t reformed. Far from it. The film’s conclusion sees Dixon and Mildred setting out across state lines to carry out a vigilante hit on a suspected rapist in selfish pursuit of personal catharsis (they may or may not actually go through with it). His indifference to the values he once so hypocritically claimed to embody as an officer of the law remains alive and well.  

To call the film “racist” for following this man’s change of heart regarding the case is absurd. He remains a violent thug and is no hero. And presenting such a character on screen is not the same as endorsing his values. 

Rather than taken to task, McDonagh should be applauded for writing such an unpalatable person as Dixon and for recognising his humanity, allowing for the possibility that he might just have an inner life and be capable of growth and change in response to his experiences. By doing so, he credits his audience with sufficient intelligence to navigate the decidedly murky moral landscape he has set out before them. 

The racism argument assumes that McDonagh approves of Dixon and is asking us to do the same. Yet he treats him as a comic grotesque throughout, openly mocked as a redneck oaf by his peers, burned alive in an arson attack and beaten up in a bar brawl. Even fairy tales don’t punish their villains that unambiguously.  

Just now, Chewy said:

What nonsense is this? You rank on some criteria other than how much you like it?

I think Guardians is a lot more interesting with what's it trying to do and Logan is easily the best of last year, but it's not like I wanna constantly rewatch Logan when I'm looking for a fun breezy time

Wonder Woman and Ragnarok are similar in the sense that their flaws are pretty glaring everytime I watch them but I can ignore them for the fun. Ragnarok probably a bit more so, but IMO Ragnarok's issues are a bit more ingrained in the film, which is why it comes 4th as a film, but #1 for my go-to to rewatch

• ...wtf 1

• Community Manager
Just now, Blank Panther said:

Don't; Ant-Man is really bad

Only MCU films worth a damn to someone like Tele would be:

AVENGERS

CAPTAIN AMERICA 1&2

RAGNAROK

BLACK PANTHER

GUARDIANS 1&2

maybe IRON MAN 3

Ant-Man is a great movie. You are wrong Blank. I'm not saying Tele would like it. He probably wouldn't. Doesn't mean Ant-Man is bad!

• Like 1

• Community Manager
Just now, Chewy said:

Please dont rank the Marvel movies on page 1010 of the 17th Classic Conversation Thread for the 13,000th time we know which ones ppl like

Do you remember a time before Iron Man when people gave a crap about multiple genres? Now it's Marvel this, DC that with the occasional Rock movie to break from the mold.

• Sad 2

1 minute ago, Chewy said:

Please dont rank the Marvel movies on page 1010 of the 17th Classic Conversation Thread for the 13,000th time we know which ones ppl like

that's not my order at all, lol, I'm just saying the ones that actually have some artistic merit to them IMO

i can give you my ranking if you want

1 minute ago, Water Bottle said:

Do you remember a time before Iron Man when people gave a crap about multiple genres? Now it's Marvel this, DC that with the occasional Rock movie to break from the mold.

Let's talk Bright people. Did you like the stripclub shootout?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Water Bottle said:

Ant-Man is a great movie. You are wrong Blank. I'm not saying Tele would like it. He probably wouldn't. Doesn't mean Ant-Man is bad!

god I hate Ant-Man. especially since I knew this guy who made a short film about Charlie Brown and Charles Schulz bonding over their shared love of that movie

• Like 1

Jurassic Park

The Player

Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2

The Grand Budapest Hotel

Thor: Ragnarok

Independence Day

Cats and Dogs

The Lost World: Jurassic Park

Independence Day: Resurgence

Mortdecai

Edited by Blank Panther