Water Bottle

Classic Conversation Thread

I think my seasonal depression has gone past "a real bad year" to "Yea, I'm depressed now, I have depression." I should probably see someone, but I really don't want to take anti-depressents and I just don't see what tangible benefit a therapist would provide - they ain't gonna bring my dad back, change my body and personality to my liking, or put me back in two years ago when I was on an adventure in a great city, relatively popular with a good dating life and doing theater and other fun side activities. I just.....it won't help me to talk to a stranger about this. But I need to stop venting to my friends. It's annoying. You guys are good friends and I don't want to annoy you, either. But I'm sick of covering it up in cynicism and nihilism. It's really not me. That's not who I am.

• Sad 9

4 minutes ago, Ethan Hunt said:

I think anti-depressants have a negative stigma against them that I really hate as someone who is on antidepressant (and they have done a great deal of benefit for me)

I was on them for a while back in college. They were great when I first started taking them, but, once I evened out, I didn't feel much different. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, MrGamer said:

I was on them for a while back in college. They were great when I first started taking them, but, once I evened out, I didn't feel much different. 

I mean they're not gonna fix the problem. That's still on you. Depression will be depression 

Edited by Ethan Hunt
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

I think my seasonal depression has gone past "a real bad year" to "Yea, I'm depressed now, I have depression." I should probably see someone, but I really don't want to take anti-depressents and I just don't see what tangible benefit a therapist would provide - they ain't gonna bring my dad back, change my body and personality to my liking, or put me back in two years ago when I was on an adventure in a great city, relatively popular with a good dating life and doing theater and other fun side activities. I just.....it won't help me to talk to a stranger about this. But I need to stop venting to my friends. It's annoying. You guys are good friends and I don't want to annoy you, either. But I'm sick of covering it up in cynicism and nihilism. It's really not me. That's not who I am.

But despite all that, you should see a therapist. They can’t force you to take meds, and in fact they can provide a good deal of support and help even if you choose not to take medication. You are depressed — of course you can’t see how they would help. 

Try them out. There’s literally no downside. They can be a huge huge help. 

• Like 5

7 minutes ago, Lor San Tele said:

But despite all that, you should see a therapist. They can’t force you to take meds, and in fact they can provide a good deal of support and help even if you choose not to take medication. You are depressed — of course you can’t see how they would help. 

Try them out. There’s literally no downside. They can be a huge huge help. 

I know. I really should. The reason I haven't is all practical, not moral opposition. Hard to get time away from work, for starters, with real doctor checkups and a couple vacations and missing time to set up for dad's funeral. I'm a bit of a workaholic beyond any of this depression stuff so I don't love taking time off, even if I know I can swing it. And I'm still trying really hard to make a good impression, the guy who I replaced whose shadow I am constantly chasing saw therapists and missed time for that kind of stuff so I want to provide something different (not that my boss isn't accepting - he's a great guy). Plus, long-term, if I do pursue my dreams of running for office someday, it's still a stigma in the politics community to vote for someone who has seen mental health professionals. This is changing, thankfully, but still. So I've just been making excuses not to.

But I'll probably go sometime in mid-late January. Thank you.

• Like 9