Water Bottle

Classic Conversation Thread

2 minutes ago, Jandrew said:

Yeah, you need to stop going to the theater so much. You should be here less too. Our likes and hot takes aren't going to do anything for you in the real world. You need to get out more and get actual sunshine and fresh air. You live in Florida after all, you're lucky to have sun while most of the country is under snow and -80 degrees. Eat better, sleep more, think about less, and exercise.

You need to keep yourself busy and think of the future goals. If have to spend more time at school, then figure out how to make use of that extra time, instead of sitting there like a pitiful like a bump on a log.

I worked at Target over the holiday and during my breaks and down periods, or when I knew no managers were around, instead of me scrolling instagram on my phone or just sitting there, I would learn French or GRE study. You need to do the same thing at school in your down time. 

And you gotta try to socialize, no matter how hard or awkward it may be. You need other people with good vibes. And stop assuming things. The semester just started but you've already made up your mind that it's going to suck, which means it probably will. If you can't motivation, well, it's still there. You just have to stop thinking about it and just do it.

I haven't been to the theater in two weeks, so that's already happening :lol: 

Just now, MrGamer said:

That's fine, but not everybody's parents are the same. Coming on here and letting shit out is fine too. 

This. I've talked to my parents somewhat about my socialization issues but haven't really given specifics. There's some things they should and shouldn't know.

7 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

I already have my plan laid out and just want August to come already. I have no clue how being away from home and out of my bubble would affect my depression (if it's still there when I transfer), but surely it'd be better than my current situation. 

I tried this twice (I moved continents, lol) and whatever it is that bothers you goes with you. So, thinking than a change of scenery is a magical cure is just a way to delude yourself into doing nothing.

• Sad 1

12 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

I haven't been to the theater in two weeks, so that's already happening :lol: 

Well the main thing is you just need to get outside. Less time in the dark and quiet theater, and I don't know how many movies you watch at home, but instead of sitting in your room (if you do), take your device to the park or lake or something, since yall got a million of them, put down a blanket or a chair, put in your headphones, and enjoy. Just watch for gators.

I wanted to watch Baywatch last year, but it was just too dang beautiful outside and surprisingly not humid to be sitting in the house watching a comedy about chiseled dudes on the beach, so I grabbed a lawn chair from the garage and just watched in my backyard that evening.

The fresh air and sunshine really is important for your body, especially when you're in a mental funk. There's a reason they recommend people with SADS get "light therapy."

Edited by Jandrew
  • Like 6

7 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

This. I've talked to my parents somewhat about my socialization issues but haven't really given specifics. There's some things they should and shouldn't know.

5 minutes ago, Ethan Hunt said:

idk I feel like my parents get all defensive If I talk about like depression and anxiety and shit like they think I'm blaming them or whatever 

Ultimately, I think you two will need to talk to somebody (a school councilor, a therapist (I saw one at the school I went to)) about these kinds of issues. These are the type of situations we can't give you all the answers for. 

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, filmlover said:

The mods and everyone else on BOT at the prospect of all three @Ethan Hunt, @WrathOfHan, and @That One Guy experiencing college (and somehow broadcasting their experiences with us) real soon for the next few years:

Image result for drinking shots gif

I can’t wait until they stumble into their first party.

My bets

@Ethan Hunt experiences a wild theater party and simply posts, “I jizzed all over that screen.”

@That One Guy joins a D2 frat and wonders what all the hype is about

@WrathOfHan plays a mother! Style DnD campaign and calls if a party because somebody brought alcohol.

• Astonished 1

3 minutes ago, MrGamer said:

Ultimately, I think you two will need to talk to somebody (a school councilor, a therapist (I saw one at the school I went to)) about these kinds of issues. These are the type of situations we can't give you all the answers for. 

Oh I see both a therapist and a psychologist

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, New Year New Panda said:

I can’t wait until they stumble into their first party.

My bets

@Ethan Hunt experiences a wild theater party and simply posts, “I jizzed all over that screen.”

@That One Guy joins a D2 frat and wonders what all the hype is about

@WrathOfHan plays a mother! Style DnD campaign and calls if a party because somebody brought alcohol.

*unbraced sink collapses*

+1000 points to Han

Spoiler

This is how DnD works, right?

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Jandrew said:

Well the main thing is you just need to get outside. Less time in the dark and quiet theater, and I don't know how many movies you watch at home, but instead of sitting in your room (if you do), take your device to the park or lake or something, since yall got a million of them, put down a blanket or a chair, put in your headphones, and enjoy. Just watch for gators.

I wanted to watch Baywatch last year, but it was just too dang beautiful outside and surprisingly not humid to be sitting in the house watching a comedy about chiseled dudes on the beach, so I grabbed a lawn chair from the garage and just watched in my backyard that evening.

The fresh air and sunshine really is important for your body, especially when you're in a mental funk. There's a reason they recommend people with SADS get "light therapy."

This is good advice, @WrathOfHan.  Getting yourself out of seasonal ruts can be difficult.  I often do during the end of semester or during a stretch of a break where my family is working and nobody I’m all that close to is in town.

I actually got a part time job assisting with interior decorating this winter break just to help with that.  This next semester I’m definitely going to try and force myself to find something different to do if I start feeling the seasonal rut come in.  It effects your work ethic and it definitely makes me less sociable when it happens, which usually makes it a viscious cycle for a few weeks.  

• Like 2

During my second year at college, I started working at the library on campus. I was socially a mess then since I didn't know too many people. That job helped me get out of my shell. I made a lot of new friends, helped me get my mind off school work and other stressful things, and gave me another support system when I was going through some shit of my own. Sometimes, branching out yields its own rewards. 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, filmlover said:

The mods and everyone else on BOT at the prospect of all three @Ethan Hunt, @WrathOfHan, and @That One Guy experiencing college (and somehow broadcasting their experiences with us) real soon for the next few years:

Image result for drinking shots gif

Even though I'm the same age as them, I like the prospect of not being not grouped in with them all the time. Keeps me feeling sane inside :lol: