aabattery

Weekend Thread | Actuals (p.100) ~ Thor: Ragnarok - 122.744M, Bad Moms 2 16.759M, Jigsaw 6.558M, Boo 2 4.451M, Geostorm 3.194M | GOLD ACCOUNT SALE (1st post for details) | 91k PTA for Lady Bird

30 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

Wait, the first Thor Ragnarok trailer was "terrible"? :kitschjob:

You're joking, right? lol jesus it was horrible! I honestly for the first time in a long time thought... you know, I am not sure, I may skip that movie. But I do love Marvel so much, I thought nah, it seriously cannot be that bad as the trailer.

1 minute ago, YourMother said:

It could be due to WB’s new marketing strategy. Once Thor leaves, JL will be marketed everywhere. WB are king at last second marketing just look at Kong.

How about Blade Runner and Ninjango? 

This feels more like when Mockingjay was coming out and some commented there was less buzz and marketing - it was assumed it would eventually just build and then do about $160m like the previous one.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, TalismanRing said:

This feels more like when Mockingjay was coming out and some commented there was less buzz and marketing - it was assumed it would eventually just build and then do about $160m like the previous one.

This is a very good comparison :jeb!: 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, JonathanLB said:

You're joking, right? lol jesus it was horrible! I honestly for the first time in a long time thought... you know, I am not sure, I may skip that movie. But I do love Marvel so much, I thought nah, it seriously cannot be that bad as the trailer.

Interesting. I thought it was maybe the best trailer Marvel's ever put up :P

(Well, Disney Marvel..... the Logan teaser trailer might be the #1 of all time for all Marvel-affiliated trailers.)

Edited by MCKillswitch123
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, MCKillswitch123 said:

Maybe not, but it makes every scene feel like anything can truly happen and adds tension to the movie, as opposed to "here comes an awesome action scene where no one will be actually hurt". Also, a death would really nail the point of civil WAR - "war": conflict where people die - in a way that puts the tragedy of these heroes fighting each other in front of us and makes the film feel legitimately dramatic and intense, rather than just playing it for laughs and/or FUCK YEAH! type of adrenaline from fans and fanboys alike. How awesome would it be if the Avengers realized that they killed one of their own in their little dick-measuring contest, would probably be a seriously chilling moment.

I seem to remember Black Panther losing his dad in CW (and trying but failing to save him in time) not being done for laughs or similarly Howard/Maria Stark’s murders (done by a guy that once was a co-worker/friend of Howard) which was...a potent moment. Potent enough that it issued license to Stark momentarily losing touch of his senses in that climax and want to murder Bucky. (People forget that moment when Stark covers himself and cowering when he thought Steve was going to ice him. I mean Jesus....)

Things is deaths *could* be meaningful but you have to earn it. I thought GOTGv2 did for example. But RAGNAROK where Thor movie-verse characters get iced (or not brought back or mentioned)...you realize you really didn’t care and feels cheap or not the oomph maybe the movie hoped you would feel. Of course others might disagree on that point for that film, but I’m just weary of the idea that killing off a character or adding “dark!” or “tragedy!” automatically makes a movie better. No it doesn’t.

I mean hell what’s that one running meme (with some merit) about the MCU? That several deaths that’s happened don’t matter because they’re many times fake outs. Now we’ve had characters eat it who so far haven’t come back from actual death (not Loki-type frauds) except maybe Groot and thats debatable and goes down to semantics. But regardless it ties into my point: A death in itself doesn’t make a movie better automatically. 

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, JonathanLB said:

I'm a simple man.  I hear Zeppelin you got me 

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

BR2049 was never going to connect with the GA, which is sad since it’s the best movie of the year.

Ninjago, (which brings me some emotional heartache) like most of WB’s animated films suffered from bad marketing and in Ninjago’s case mixed reviews. Animation is the one thing they don’t know how to market. If WB got better at marketing their animated movies, I think they’d get bigger numbers.

Trust me, now that Thor is gone, JL will be marketed everywhere.

Edited by YourMother
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

The fact that Mockingjay was a part 1 might’ve dampened excitement for the movie. And it also wasn’t as good as CF. Justice League seems like it’ll get a better reception and will be an improvement over BvS. 

3 minutes ago, YourMother said:

BR2049 was never going to connect with the GA, which is sad since it’s the best movie of the year.

Ninjago, (which brings me some emotional heartache) like most of WB’s animated films suffered from bad marketing and in Ninjago’s case mixed reviews. Animation is the one thing they don’t know how to market. If WB got better at marketing their animated movies, I think they’d get bigger numbers.

Trust me, now that Thor is gone, JL will be marketed everywhere.

They marketed BR2049 as if Blade Runner was a universally well loved film and people were begging to see the sequel.   Compare and contrast what they did with Mad Max: Fury Road where they made the film look must see on it's own - irrespective of any ties to the previous films.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, JonathanLB said:

Regardless of personal opinions and anecdotal evidence, it was pretty much the most popular trailer released this year.

Just now, TalismanRing said:

They marketed BR2049 as if Blade Runner was a universally well loved film and people were begging to see the sequel.   Compare and contrast what they did with Mad Max: Fury Road where they made the film look must see on it's own - irrespective of any ties to the previous films.

Mad Max had more appeal and more popular than BR. BR2049 definitely isn’t the type of movie that appeals to both critics and GA unlike Fury Road.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Deja23 said:

The fact that Mockingjay was a part 1 might’ve dampened excitement for the movie. And it also wasn’t as good as CF. Justice League seems like it’ll get a better reception and will be an improvement over BvS. 

On the flip side of previous films influencing sequels - CF would have brought far more goodwill into it's sequel than BvS does going into JL.  The wild card is how much WW affects it.

1 minute ago, YourMother said:

Mad Max had more appeal and more popular than BR. BR2049 definitely isn’t the type of movie that appeals to both critics and GA unlike Fury Road.

They could have made it look more appealing - gone for the big w/e and then dealt with some pissed off people who thought there would be more action and thrills.  But no, they advertised what the movie was.  :ph34r: 

• Like 1

On a side note, while doing a theater report for DH2, Orient and JL, I noticed The Star has Thursday previews and it’s doing somewhat well at my theater surprisingly.

Edited by YourMother
  • Like 2