Impact

2012-Best Actress thread!

I'm now very confident in Lawrence. I think Lincoln's gonna win big and Playbook seems like the 2nd place movie to me so they're gonna wanna give it something.

Agreed. Right now I think ZDT wins editing and nothing else.

I'm now very confident in Lawrence. I think Lincoln's gonna win big and Playbook seems like the 2nd place movie to me so they're gonna wanna give it something.

You can make a similar argument about Amour. It has BP and BD nominations but actress is the one that it can win. AMPAS members value their legacy and I just don't see a Jennifer Lawrence glorified Best Supporting Actress performance beating out Riva.

If you think AMPAS members know shit about the Riva legacy, then your level of delusion exceeds the Eiffel tower itself.oh, and the best supporting actress thing was fun in early October 2012. :)

Edited by The Futurist

If you think AMPAS members know shit about the Riva legacy, then your level of delusion exceeds the Eiffel tower itself.oh, and the best supporting actress thing was fun in early October 2012. :)

I am talking about the legacy of the Oscars and the AMPAS voters. You do realize why Bigelow wasn't even nominated. Don't you?

I like JLaw but right now I'm cheerleading Little Miss Wallis to win. First role ever and she becomes the youngest Oscar nominated actress ever. Hit this Hailee Steinfield!

I think Riva is the strongest performer and Wallis the weakest but this is one of those years where I will be fine with any of the 5 nominees winning this award.

A random post on AD forums :"You know, I admit that I'm not Lawrence biggest fan (seriously that girl can't act, mediocrity incarnated, but then it has never stopped the Academy before. We all know they LOVE blandness and mediocrity") :)

LMAO, people think fucking Riva is winning? Get a grip everyone. It's still Chastain vs. Lawrence, with Lawrence the favorite.

I just got out of Amour. Put me down in the Riva camp as well. She is out early brilliant in this. I think she has a real shot to win.
  • Like 2

I just got out of Amour. Put me down in the Riva camp as well. She is out early brilliant in this. I think she has a real shot to win.

Exactly. Amour wasn't seen by a lot of Academy members, it got seen by enough to get nominated but there's still a large number that haven't seen it yet. Now with 5 noms it's the must see movie right now because they've seen all the other big contenders. Riva's performance will definitely dazzle and be fresh, fresh, fresh on the minds of voters when they votes. Lawrence, and Chastain the other two strong contenders have already probably reached their max level of support, everyone's seen their performances so I doubt anyone that didn't vote for Lawrence or Chastain on their nom ballot (They vote for 5 per category) would suddenly vote for Chastain or Lawrence at #1 for the win. Riva has huge potential as more people see the film to get many more #1 votes for the win than mentions on ballots during nomination time. (Relative to size of Academy and its acting branch of course)
  • Like 1

I'm gravitating back to Lawrence for the win now. ZDT obviously doesn't have the huge Oscar support we once thought, and all the controversy around Chastain's character even being based on a real person could hurt her. But I'm still prepared for a "shocker" Riva win.

Edited by HobbitMan89