Impact

2012-Best Actress thread!

Hathaway, who is also practicing interrupting Daniel Day Lewis’ bestactor acceptance speech in order to thank anyone she forgot during herspontaneous acceptance speech, says the last thing she wants is adivorce.  Luckily, before marrying Shulman she made him sign aniron-clad prenuptial agreement which guaranteed that in the case of adivorce settlement Hathaway would keep the Oscar she knew she wouldeventually win for “Les Miserables.”

:rofl: :rofl:

It`s a mixed bag. On one side, it works because she is pushed into thebackground while incompetent people took over explaining things to big wigs which she could have done better, so when they finally acknowledged her presence she put them in place with that line. OTOH, it`s on the nose because all those people were men so it was really "I`M A WOMAN! LOOK A WOMAN DID WHAT MEN COULD NOT! I`M A WOMAN! WOMAN!" which is ridiculous because we know the movie was NOT a realistic depiction of the events and the point was really that she was simply one of the field agents and thus deemed unimportant among Washington burocrats not that she was a WOMAN agent and thus deemed unimportant among male Washington burocrats. They could`ve had some Washington bitch there or few of them and the line would work and even better without the stupid feminism and paralels with Oscar-hungry Bigelow who obviously can`t get enough of them judging by her sour face this season.

That's one of my beefs with ZDT.

They tried to bullshit you in saying they're depicting true events in a faux documentary style with no bias but that scene is so dramatized and twisted to push a feminist agenda, the whole sole woman against incompetent male agency narrative. Whoa Nelly, cut the crap with your forced badassery fantasy, I really doubt an agent with a Joan Of Arc complex would be so rude to her superior especially a CIA executive at Langley. This is the definition of bias with (presumed) History seen through the eyes of Bigelow. I don't know what Bigelow and Boal smoke to say their movie is objective and not biased nor judgemental when you got that kind of cringey scene in your movie that paints one strong and ballsy woman fighting against the whole hierarchy of impotent old tarts in that old american fiction trope even if it's factually incorrect. Finding Bin Laden's compound was a collective effort from hundred of agents like Maya (a.k.a Lieutenant Columbo, Joan Of Arc and Rambo all rolled into one).

It's also biased because this is  fictionalized version of History, even though those recent events are classified documents, (Yeah, they gonna unveil and let some Hollywood director depict what really happened for entertainment purpose...)  endorsed and approved by Obama's administration on their account, while still in charge.

"There's no political agenda in the film. Full stop. Period." Boal never stops claiming.

Are you kidding me? What a fraud.

Edited by dashrendar44
  • Like 1

Claiming that the movie was not a fiction based on true events but recount of real events is one of many things that backfired on the movie because in such situation someone is going to cry bullshit and shit will hit the fan. They wanted to give the movie more importance over competition and that was a miscalculation on top the fact that back in 2010 AMPAS was shoe-horned into voting for Bigelow due to constant media clamoring for the first female director ever and THL won because Nicholas Chartier, THL producer, was urging AMPAS members to vote for THL as a vote against Avatar. So neither Bigelow not THL won because they were actually liked. They won thanks to the female director + battle of exes gimmicks. So this time around, when she actually made a better movie that stupid claim aside, they didn`t feel they owed her anything.

Edited by fishnets
  • Like 2

Claiming that the movie was not a fiction based on true events butrecount of real events is one of many things that backfired on the moviebecause in such situation someone is going to cry bullshit and shitwill hit the fan.

Exactly. They wanted to cockily oversell the "True events" like a 60 minutes doc and bloat the self-importance to draw more attention even if the movie holds a contradiction in itself (you cannot claim journalistic objectivity when your accounts are a few executives from CIA and Obama's administration) that caused a backlash in the end because some people did not buy it at all as a depiction of real events, let alone truth. "Any movie that aims to faithfully fictionalize a major historical event is booby-trapped for failure".

If they just stated that they were inspired by real events, none of that schadenfreunde would have taken place and Bigelow would have been perhaps nominated. (I remember that douche Chartier lobbying, it was ridiculous like she could have never won from her own merits and will. Live long the feminism, winning an oscar thanks for male lobbying... :rolleyes: )

Edited by dashrendar44

Exactly. They wanted to oversell the "True events" like a 60 minutes doc and bloat the self-importance to draw more attention even if the movie holds a contradiction in itself that caused a backlash in the end because some people did not buy it at all as a depiction of real events, let alone truth.

If they just stated that they were inspired by real events. None of that schadenfreunde would have taken place and Bigelow would have been perhaps nominated. (I remember that douche Chartier lobbying, it was ridiculous like she could have never won from her own merits and will. Live long the feminism, winning an oscar thanks for male lobbying... :rolleyes: )

Quoted for life! Stick that in your ass, Sasha Crone! (who dumped Bigelow`s feminism for Lincoln a decidely NOT feminist-friendly movie unless screeching Sally Feild counts which I doubt)

Deadline's Pete Hammond on Amour's chances.

http://www.deadline.com/2013/02/oscars-does-amour-have-a-shot-to-make-academy-history/

Riva also is definitely a real contender to watch for leadactress. At 85 she is the oldest ever to be nominated in the leadcategory. In fact I have a hunch if it were just the actor branch votingshe would take it, but in the finals it is the entire Academy voting. Ihave spoken to several high profile actors who always mention her – andthe film – as their favorite. Her performance has a strong emotionalconnection for people. In fact during a SAG Q&A I moderated severalweeks ago for Nicole Kidman,Kidman actually stopped talking about her own film in order to praiseRiva’s work and urge the voters to see it. When I ran into Kidman at theProducer’s Guild awards last weekend we talked about it. “I told you.We actors know a great performance,” she said before going on in detailabout what made it work so well and why it affected her so deeply. Withthe Academy’s preferential  system where voters usually put their mostpassionate choice in the first position on the ballot, Amour isthe type of film likely to elicit number one votes from those whoadmire the movie. In a year where so many films are in play (includinghigher profile and more-buzzed contenders like Argo, Lincoln, Silver Linings Playbook, Life Of Pi, Les Miserables, and Zero Dark Thirty),a split could produce a scenario where the film, which is actually theAustrian entry in the foreign language race, could benefit, particularlyfrom those members who aren’t eligible to vote in the Foreign Languagecategory (where rules state you must prove you have seen all fivenominees). At any rate it’s always fun to speculate. And the Guildcontests which usually are good indicators are not helpful at all since Amour hasn’tfigured in any of them for various reasons. A downside is that somepeople do find it too hard to watch, too close to home and that couldhurt its chances with a segment of voters. But everyone seems to praisethe performances.

In the actress race could Riva become only the sixth person to everwin an Oscar for a performance solely in a foreign language? It’sentirely possible if enough of the entire Academy actually see the film.Front runners Jennifer Lawrence and Jessica Chastain both deliverbrilliant performances and have the most heat (particularly Lawrenceafter her SAG win), and Riva hasn’t been in Hollywood campaigning or onthe Q&A circuit at all this entire season, but there does seem to bea sort of groundswell of support I am detecting. It would certainly be anice birthday present. The French star, known best for 1960′s classic Hiroshima Mon Amour, turns 86 years old on Oscar day February 24th. Barker confirms she will be coming to the Academy Awards.

• Like 2

Riva win wouldn`t piss over JLaw and Chastain because she`s respected, paid her dues, performance is reportedly phenomenal. I just can`t see the scenario because they awarded an oldie (Streep) last year. So either the Princess of Hollywood or Julliard Graduate. Unless they split and Wallis wins. The kid and Zeitlin are adorable.

I really think you don't realize the uphill battle a Riva win represents.

I don't say it s impossible, but very unlikely for a lot of reasons.

What are these reasons that make Riva win unlikely? Riva has won pretty much everywhere she has been nominated. BAFTA is the first time she will go head-to-head against Lawrence and Chastain at a major awards show. If she wins there her chances are no worse than any of her competitors.

All people have to do is see Amour and they will vote for Riva. There is no bigger supporter of SLP than me, it is my favourite film of the year. Lawrence was my runaway choice before I saw Amour. Riva is that good.

• Like 1

I love when people try to make races more exciting than they actually are. This is like when Hailee Steinfeld was "going to win."

You haven't seen Amour, have you?