Impact

2012-Best Actress thread!

I`m wondering if Chastain`s sure-fire bomb Mama coming out on Jan 18 will hurt her chances to win. Osually a piece of shit movie released during the voting period is a death knell. Ask Hathaway. That Bridezillas stinker she made with Kate Hudson turned her fortunes around.

It's possible if it sucks a lot. Though I don't think she'll win regardless. I'm still firmly in the J-Law camp, especially after seeing ZDT, I really don't think she'll win for a performance like that. It's so unfeeling, and isolated. The last scene might be one of the very few places we see any sort of insight into her internal feelings. (Besides the obvious frustration, and determination to find Bin Laden)

Anyone else think Riva could be the big upset of the awards this year? She's won several other places so far, and I think Chastain and Lawrence could split the votes, leaving it open for the dark horse to win, and the dark horse has to be Riva.

If she gets nominated, she has a decent shot at winning.

Is anyone else getting the feeling Watts is gaining momentum? I think she's a lock for a nom at this point and I bet she's got a lot of goodwill in the industry. I don't think she'll win, but it's not impossible (pun not intended). At the least, I think she could clear the path for Lawrence to win.

• Like 1

The Riva talk is the epitome of delusion.

I haven't even seen Amour nor ever seen Riva in a film before, so I have no reason to root blindly for her. It just seems like a very Academy-esque move in my opinion if they're gonna make any bold choices this year. Some years they don't though, and there are no real surprises.

I haven't even seen Amour nor ever seen Riva in a film before, so I have no reason to root blindly for her. It just seems like a very Academy-esque move in my opinion if they're gonna make any bold choices this year. Some years they don't though, and there are no real surprises.

I wouldn't say it's a very academy-esque movie. It's more of a BAFTA movie. If Amour is going to score big anywhere it'd be BAFTA, where I notice that quite a few people are predicting Trintignant, BP, and Director. (:o) I'd be thrilled if that happened tonight though.

FINAL PREDICTIONS

Jennifer Lawrence - Silver Linings Playbook

Jessica Chastain - Zero Dark Thirty

Naomi Watts - The Impossible

Marion Cottliard - Rust and Bone

Helen Mirren - Hitchcock

Wallis lost it at BAFTA