Fake

The Avengers OS Thread (Crosses 800M!)

On 800 screens is already the biggest debute in India ?

For Hollywood films, quite possible (local films get much bigger releases, record is 3000+).Avatar released on 650, DH2 on 600 and MI4 on 700. MI4 holds the record for biggest Hollywood debut in terms of gross with INR 26 crore ($5m+).Avengers could beat that, but I am staying conservative.
  • Like 1

For Hollywood films, quite possible (local films get much bigger releases, record is 3000+).Avatar released on 650, DH2 on 600 and MI4 on 700. MI4 holds the record for biggest Hollywood debut in terms of gross with INR 26 crore ($5m+).Avengers could beat that, but I am staying conservative.

But why ? Why hollywood films have limited releases ? Not enough people like them ?

I once had JC, Battleship, Wrath, Titanic all over 400M. But they all bombed to the 200M+ range. The OS markets are in low trend now.

hollywoodreporter

Summer playdates come none too soon since first quarter overseas box office for the six American major studios was flat overall compared with their comparable collective take in 2011’s first three months, $2.934 billion versus $2.950 billion.

The OS markets were not good in first quarter.

hollywoodreporterSummer playdates come none too soon since first quarter overseas box office for the six American major studios was flat overall compared with their comparable collective take in 2011’s first three months, $2.934 billion versus $2.950 billion.The OS markets were not good in first quarter.

We have lost 4 400M OS potentials.

But why ? Why hollywood films have limited releases ? Not enough people like them ?

It is more to do about penetration. Hollywood movies only get released in multiplexes in bigger cities, since the audience for them is mainly there. Only a few films like SM3, 2012 and Avatar manage to get released in smaller centers and even that only happens after they have finished their blockbuster runs in cities and there are available prints.It is not like there isn't any audience in smaller towns, but they are very limited, and since single theaters still dominate these parts, it is not financially viable for theater owners to release Hollywood films. It is a chicken-and-egg type of situation; unless theaters start showing movies, the audience will not expand and unless the audience expands, theaters will not start showing them.
  • Like 1

It is more to do about penetration. Hollywood movies only get released in multiplexes in bigger cities, since the audience for them is mainly there. Only a few films like SM3, 2012 and Avatar manage to get released in smaller centers and even that only happens after they have finished their blockbuster runs in cities and there are available prints.It is not like there isn't any audience in smaller towns, but they are very limited, and since single theaters still dominate these parts, it is not financially viable for theater owners to release Hollywood films. It is a chicken-and-egg type of situation; unless theaters start showing movies, the audience will not expand and unless the audience expands, theaters will not start showing them.

Get it, thanks.

So, more urbanisation and more growth in India will mean more Hollywood penetration in the country.I hope, because the potential is extremely big there in the long term.

So, more urbanisation and more growth in India will mean more Hollywood penetration in the country.I hope, because the potential is extremely big there in the long term.

Hopefully. In 2011, Hollywood's share in Indian box office was only just 8-10%. In the next 5-6 years, this figure should double.
  • Like 1

We have lost 4 400M OS potentials.

John Carter was never going to reach 400M. It had absolutely no appeal. The fact that it made 200M still despite having very little appeal shows how strong the international market is becomingWrath was a sequel nobody wanted. I mean I am not saying the first film was hated but nobody was asking for a follow up to it. Both domestic and overseas. Especially since it was just more of the same. It logically decreased from the firstTitanic 3D is doing well overseas for a re release. Especially in ChinaBattleship it is too early to tell. Seems to be doing decent business for a 2D non sequel with no big starsInternational markets seem fine to me. Remember Journey 2 really shined there this year.