Fake

The Avengers OS Thread (Crosses 800M!)

Relative to super-hero movies, The Avengers is doing extraordinarily well in all countries, but yeah, the upcoming markets (China, Mexico, Brazil) are really pushing this high. As well as massive grosses from the UK and Australia too, ofcourse, which are putting up Potter numbers.

Elessar is understimating everyone's intelligence by saying that TA is only big in North and South America and the Asian market. This is a silly argument that doesn't hold any water when I look to the numbers.

Please learn to read.I'm saying its main markets are those that you listed, which is typical for a SH movie. Mainland Europe is providing good numbers for a SH movie but nothing spectacular.

Spider-man is very popular in the UK and France, but I don't expect it to top the Avengers in either of these markets. Partly because it's a reboot, and The Avengers has just completely shattered to 'superhero trend'.

The Avengers in The Netherlands:Weekend 1: €1,125,704Weekend 2: €1,103,407 (-2.0%)Weekend 3: €527,179 (-52.2%)Total: €3,805,603Not a great hold, but the week before last week was a school holiday, so Thursday and Friday from last weekend were inflated.

Could you provide LoTR, AVATAR and TDK numbers in mainland Europe to compare? I don't think the box office in those regions is average at all, and if it is right now, the WOM and the breaking box office aspects of the movie coukd help win them over. Without numbers, I'll just assume your argument doesn't hold any weight.

I think he's right. The TA Europe numbers are quite average for a very big movie:UK - TA (65) - Avatar (150) - ROTK (106)France - TA (30) - Avatar (158) - ROTK (48) - DH2 (67)Germany - TA (23) - Avatar (157) - ROTK (87) - DH2 (78)Italy - TA (20) - Avatar (83) - ROTK (35) - DH2 (29)Spain - TA (15) - Avatar (109) - ROTK (39) - DH2 (21)But I agree that is in the same line than great SH movies like The Dark Knight or Spiderman movies

Avatar should just be excluded, because really, that was something entirely different.The UK shouldn't be there either, because TA is going to do 80-85m, which is easily blockbuster level here. Not many movies make that much.

I think he's right. The TA Europe numbers are quite average for a very big movie:UK - TA (65) - Avatar (150) - ROTK (106)France - TA (30) - Avatar (158) - ROTK (48) - DH2 (67)Germany - TA (23) - Avatar (157) - ROTK (87) - DH2 (78)Italy - TA (20) - Avatar (83) - ROTK (35) - DH2 (29)Spain - TA (15) - Avatar (109) - ROTK (39) - DH2 (21)But I agree that is in the same line than great SH movies like The Dark Knight or Spiderman movies

I don't think it's fair to compare the final run of those movies with the initial numbers of TA. I'd really like to see the second week numbers for AVATAR for example. Besides, looking to the DH2 numbers, TA looks pretty big, after what, three weeks been released?

It's already 3 weeks in release, the numbers are not gonna go up by a whole lot, maybe 30%?Whoa, i didn't know (or forgot) ROTK destroyed DH2 in Spain and beat it in Italy and Germany without 8 years of inflation and 3D. Makes me wonder what Hobbit can do...

Edited by Elessar

Hey guys don't forget Europe is in crisis : 11% unemployment, terrible economic situation in Greece,Spain,Italy and Portugal, flat growth rates in France/Germany/UK.It's not easy to compare, Spain's BO crashed since 2008,same thing in Italy (less dramatic, but it's less than before), and worst in Greece...etc..

It's already 3 weeks in release, the numbers are not gonna go up by a whole lot, maybe 30%?Whoa, i didn't know (or forgot) ROTK destroyed DH2 in Spain and beat it in Italy and Germany without 8 years of inflation and 3D. Makes me wonder what Hobbit can do...

the Spanish market was 50% bigger 8 years ago

Hey guys don't forget Europe is in crisis : 11% unemployment, terrible economic situation in Greece,Spain,Italy and Portugal, flat growth rates in France/Germany/UK.It's not easy to compare, Spain's BO crashed since 2008,same thing in Italy (less dramatic, but it's less than before), and worst in Greece...etc..

Great point. It's pointless to keep comparing with movies from the past if we'll probably see similar movies through all the year from the Mainland Europe, if not shorter.

So box office is less immune to a weak economy in Europe than in the USA?You guys have some box office data to show that?

You're kidding yourself if you don't think the Hobbit will collapse (in comparison) to Lord of the Rings in Spain and even Italy. Those movie markets are not doing well, ESPECIALLY the former.

So box office is less immune to a weak economy in Europe than in the USA?You guys have some box office data to show that?

First quarter 2012 in Spain about Box office compared to first quarter 2011 : -18%Box office Greece in 2011 : -10% compared to 2010And so on...Yes, the economic situation impacts box office numbers, it's just so obvious.When you lose your jobs or can't pay off your mortgage you don't go to the theaters, or less. Edited by Fullbuster

:D

You're kidding yourself if you don't think the Hobbit will collapse (in comparison) to Lord of the Rings in Spain and even Italy. Those movie markets are not doing well, ESPECIALLY the former.

The most any Harry Potter ever did in Spain was $24m. Harry Potter didn't collapse, at least not in terms of box office.Just looking at all Harry Potters and compared to other markets, i don't see this collapse in Spain's box office. For sure, Spain is doing worse than for example UK and Germany, where the last Potter outgrossed every other Potter by at least like 15%, whereas in Spain DH2 lost about 10% compared to the biggest Potter there, but how much is that market conditions is difficult to say and again it's definitely not a huge collapse. Edited by Elessar

Maybe it gets better in the 2nd half of the year. Can't get much worse, right? ;)

Austerity measures didn't begin their real effect yet, the situation will worsen until 2014, the unemployment rate is likely to increase again.Honestly the situation is very bad, people outside Spain doesn't imagine the pain.