WrathOfHan

The Super Mario Bros. Movie | Universal/Illumination | April 5, 2023 | Chris Pratt is Mario, Charlie Day is Luigi, Anya Taylor-Joy is Peach | The most profitable movie of 2023

3 minutes ago, Ladybug said:

How much control over the review embargo would Nintendo even have? I would figure the final say on that would ultimately be Universal/Illumination..

They financed like half of the movie, and all the trailers were done in Nintendo directs, so it wouldn't be surprising if they have a lot of creative control over the entire movie 

• Like 1

Minions proved again and again that the GA and kids especially dont care about quality, they care about mindless entertainment from Illumination movies. I cant think of any scenario in which this movie wont go over very well for family audiences.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Brainbug said:

Minions proved again and again that the GA and kids especially dont care about quality, they care about mindless entertainment from Illumination movies. I cant think of any scenario in which this movie wont go over very well for family audiences.

DM1 and Minions 2 are straight up good movies, its not like the billion franchise was created out of thin air

• Like 2
  • Knock It Off 3

5 hours ago, interiorgatordecorator said:

DM1 and Minions 2 are straight up good movies, its not like the billion franchise was created out of thin air

Minions 2 being good is debatable but it's definitely an improvement over the original so it's interesting it didn't crack 1B like the first one despite being enormously helped by Tiktok trends.

Even Illumination can't keep being inconsistent any longer as it will have an impact (it already did before with DM3's performance domestically and SLoP2).

Edited by Spidey Freak

4 minutes ago, Spidey Freak said:

Minions 2 being good is debatable but it's definitely an improvement over the original so it's interesting it didn't crack 1B like the first one despite being enormously helped by Tiktok trends.

If families were still interested in the big screen, then you bet it would've gotten to that billion and even outgrossed the first film.

23 minutes ago, BadOlCatSylvester said:

If families were still interested in the big screen, then you bet it would've gotten to that billion and even outgrossed the first film.

I actually think the hordes of Tiktok teens inflated its numbers, especially DOM. Wouldn't be shocked if M3 suffers a DM3 type drop unless it's Illumination's best work ever.

8 hours ago, interiorgatordecorator said:

2/5 isn't a good look for being assured a franchise is good.

4 minutes ago, YM! said:

2/5 isn't a good look for being assured a franchise is good.

DM2 is fresh as well. And even the other two are rotten with 59% (DM3) and 55% (Minions). The movies are fine.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BadOlCatSylvester said:

I think poor exchange rates was more at the fault rather than families not being interested. Pre-pandemic, I thought this would've been the Ice Age 5 of this franchise especially because of how bad DM3 was. The fact that it increased domestically and had a slight fall worldwide is impressive. With Mario looking to breakout, TLM should at least do great business domestic, SpiderVerse likely to make good numbers and a stronger plethora of family films, I think 2023 can be a strong rebound. Though mainly franchise sequels (and has arguably the same purpose as it's PG-13 counterparts), this March has shown the adult audience are coming back despite TGM and to an extent The Lost City were as exceptions as the only big hits.

1 hour ago, Spidey Freak said:

I actually think the hordes of Tiktok teens inflated its numbers, especially DOM. Wouldn't be shocked if M3 suffers a DM3 type drop unless it's Illumination's best work ever.

Honestly, I think the TikTok stuff helped but not as much as we like to think. Also it being the first tolerable DM movie since the first and just being fun. The OW percentage from children/adults was about the same as any other Pixar/Disney sequel in that while adults/teen ratio was bigger than other animation, families were the main drivers. 

4 minutes ago, CJohn said:

DM2 is fresh as well. And even the other two are rotten with 59% (DM3) and 55% (Minions). The movies are fine.

I agree. DM is proving to be fatigue proof unlike Ice Age. I was just speaking personally in only DM1 and Gru being good.