WrathOfHan

The Super Mario Bros. Movie | Universal/Illumination | April 5, 2023 | Chris Pratt is Mario, Charlie Day is Luigi, Anya Taylor-Joy is Peach | The most profitable movie of 2023

43 minutes ago, Seth Irskens said:

What time is social media embargo lifting on monday?

Social lifts Saturday at 7:30 pm PST. Review embargo is April 4th at 12 pm PST.

I haven't seen it yet but the response I've heard from critic friends is that it's fun but thin - this ain't gonna be a 95% RT movie.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

6 minutes ago, ViewerAnon said:

I haven't seen it yet but the response I've heard from critic friends is that it's fun but thin - this ain't gonna be a 95% RT movie.

Sounds on brand for Illumination.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, ViewerAnon said:

I heard Monday for social but I'm never betting against you

27 minutes ago, ViewerAnon said:

I mean I don't expect it to be that high either. I DO expect it to be 70 or above.

7 hours ago, BadOlCatSylvester said:

Ouch. It sounds like the embargo was indeed a bad sign. It also seems like Nintendo's insane chokehold didn't allow Horvath and Jelenic to do much with the material. What a shame. At least this made me, as a Sonic fan, glad that Sega mostly let Jeff Fowler and his crew do their thing after the redesign.

The idea of the Sonic movies turning out better than the Mario movie would have a distinct sense of irony to it. 

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, ViewerAnon said:

Based on what you've heard from your friends where do you think it will land RT-wise?

4 hours ago, John Marston said:

this will be just a bunch of silly jokes and pop culture references/memberberry stuff. Anyone that expects an actual good movie here is fooling themselves

The animation quality looks insane at the least. And the trailers are hitting all the right beats for capturing the nostalgia of such a beloved franchise, so I’m fine with that type of “member berries” and I’m sure many others are too.

All I hope is they don’t go full blown minions stupidity with the side characters. 

8 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

The animation quality looks insane at the least. And the trailers are hitting all the right beats for capturing the nostalgia of such a beloved franchise, so I’m fine with that type of “member berries” and I’m sure many others are too.

All I hope is they don’t go full blown minions stupidity with the side characters. 

if this movie is indeed middling it kind of feels like a shame given how good it looks and feels. The action scenes and art direction are easily the best Illumination has ever put out and I'm looking forward to GIF-ing this thing to death. I hope the movie has a good emotional core and actual arcs for the characters.

Edited by elhassane31
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, RobrtmanAStarWarsReference said:

I imagine this will get a similar reception to the Sonic movies from audiences, critics, and series fans, albeit with a higher RT rating.

Illumination's highest rated movie is Despicable Me at 80%. If Mario somehow clears that bar, then it would be pretty cool honestly. It's time for the first certified fresh videogame movie adaptation. It's only right that Mario, who's always been a bit of an avant-gardiste videogame franchise, to take the lead on this.

Edited by elhassane31

15 hours ago, Lucas said:

I didn't like it. It's probably the best looking movie that Illumination has made, but they haven't sorted things out with their scripts yet. As probably expected it's a cookiecutter of a cookiecutter version of that one other popular animated movie based on a popular brand starring Chris Pratt, but it has nothing to offer of its own apart from some neat animation sequences. I really don't like this Brooklyn setup both feature-length Mario movies have been using, it feels like it only exists because they have no other way of making sense of the fact that he and Luigi are plumbers.

The entire movie is littered with irresponsibly tired needle drops, subpar jokes that lack cleverness or creativity, and characters that can't grow or change. It is a harmless kids film so I can imagine a lot of people giving it a pass, but I liked Minions: The Rise of Gru more. It's hard to fit Super Mario Bros. into a functioning movie but I do think it can be done, but you might need Lord & Miller to pull it off. At least to have something to say about the character or franchise, this has nothing.

how many needle drops are in this? The trailers have been surprisingly empty of those but I've read apparently I need a Hero is in this as well as Take on Me and the Bowser song and the Super Show theme song

Edited by elhassane31

25 minutes ago, elhassane31 said:

how many needle drops are in this? The trailers have been surprisingly empty of those but I've read apparently I need a Hero is in this as well as Take on Me and the Bowser song and the Super Show theme song

There are several such as all the ones you've mentioned as well Thunderstruck and I believe some Bowser originals.

For my two cents, I don’t see any reason why this would get worse reception than the typical Illumination film. Illumination in general has a reputation for playing things incredibly safe, with modestly budgeted movies that have simple premises, basic kid’s movie humor and whatever celebrity voices they can get their hands on.

If anything, this actually looks somewhat more ambitious than anything else Illumination has made. Obviously not to the extent of ITSV or Puss in Boots 2, but it does look like a marginal amount of effort was put into it. 

• Like 1