WrathOfHan

The Super Mario Bros. Movie | Universal/Illumination | April 5, 2023 | Chris Pratt is Mario, Charlie Day is Luigi, Anya Taylor-Joy is Peach | The most profitable movie of 2023

11 hours ago, BadOlCatSylvester said:

The only 2 actual critics on there panning it is not a good sign at all. After all the meltdowns internally at Nintendo over the 1993 movie, I can't wait to see what happens when this one gets poor reviews too, from reviewers not drinking the Nintendo Kool-Aid anyway.

It won't matter. It's a nostalgic toy commercial and people will turn into robots and watch it. It will probably also be like the Sonic movie where a bunch of teens on Twitter will defend it and mock the evil and dumb critics who said mean things about their precious kids movie lmao

• Like 3

46 minutes ago, Eric is Norlar Aver said:

It won't matter. It's a nostalgic toy commercial and people will turn into robots and watch it. It will probably also be like the Sonic movie where a bunch of teens on Twitter will defend it and mock the evil and dumb critics who said mean things about their precious kids movie lmao

Tbf that's how Sonic fans are with like 95% of Sonic media lol

they're defending games that are just nonfunctional nowadays lol

4 minutes ago, RobrtmanAStarWarsReference said:

Tbf that's how Sonic fans are with like 95% of Sonic media lol

they're defending games that are just nonfunctional nowadays lol

Oh I'm a Sonic fan. I am very much aware lmao. It's still very funny to see these 14-year-olds with Amy Rose avatars act all smug about how "critics don't matter".

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Eric is Norlar Aver said:

Why the heck are people so negative about this? Say you've wanted a faithful and cinematic film adaptation of a piece of media you've enjoyed as a child but you never ever got it. Instead you've got a movie that got almost nothing to do with the world you so cherished. Wouldn't you be happy if that adaptation finally comes decades later? Can't people just enjoy things?

• Like 1
  • Heart 1

14 minutes ago, elhassane31 said:

Why the heck are people so negative about this? Say you've wanted a faithful and cinematic film adaptation of a piece of media you've enjoyed as a child but you never ever got it. Instead you've got a movie that got almost nothing to do with the world you so cherished. Wouldn't you be happy if that adaptation finally comes decades later? Can't people just enjoy things?

There's a lot of stuff I wanted as a kid that I didn't get. I was able to live with that. And you can be happy and excited for this movie. I'm even excited for this movie. But that doesn't mean we can't be cynical or criticize it. Saying mean things about a silly kids movie starring Chris Pratt, one that is set to make more money than we will ever make in our lifetimes, won't cause Nintendo stock to drop or whatever.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, interiorgatordecorator said:

inviting nintendo youtubers with mario movie profile pics to the premiere, how mischievous of them 

I mean, he’s probably a better indicator of what fans of the IP will think of it than just some random critic. I take that as a good sign this hits the marks it needs to. 

Looks like this will scratch the itch for Mario fans of all ages.

Casuals who never had an official Mario stage won't "get it".

I still think the Nintendo heads will be obsessive enough to power this to the moon. 

We shall see soon. :sparta:

8 hours ago, filmlover said:

The first reactions not exactly being through the roof usually doesn't seem like a great sign for the actual reviews lol.

Gonna see this but yeah, can't claim my expectations have been particularly high.

Probably low 60s on RT, just barley avoiding rotten. It may dampen OW a tiny bit but nothing substantial. Legs will be interesting to watch 

43 minutes ago, TheFlatLannister said:

Probably low 60s on RT, just barley avoiding rotten. It may dampen OW a tiny bit but nothing substantial. Legs will be interesting to watch 

Nah I still think it'll score around Detective Pikachu/Sonic 2 is, if not higher.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, DisposedData said:

So the tracking is insane in the domestic market, but do we have any idea how it seems to be tracking everywhere else aside from China? Is it strong?

Between china being DoA and HK looking meh I expect weak Asia and great LATAM. I am not sure what to expect from europe.

Edited by JustLurking

15 hours ago, elhassane31 said:

Here's the thing: a faithful adaptation and it being a good movie aren't necessarily the same thing. Mario games aren't exactly known for the depth of plot or storytelling...which could be an issue when you're adapting it into a film.

• Like 5

13 minutes ago, SpiderByte said:

Here's the thing: a faithful adaptation and it being a good movie aren't necessarily the same thing. Mario games aren't exactly known for the depth of plot or storytelling...which could be an issue when you're adapting it into a film.

good point

if the mario movie wanted to be good good, it needed to take some creative liberties this obviously wasn't willing to take

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, SpiderByte said:

The phrasing of some of these reactions makes me....curious as to how critics who don't get all the references from across various games will feel about the actual movie.

Seems like it didn't stop them with DnD, or Sonic, but you can make the argument that those are not nearly as steeped in the original lore like this looks to be. Hell, Sonic remakes its lore in the first 5 minutes.

13 minutes ago, Morieris said:

Seems like it didn't stop them with DnD, or Sonic, but you can make the argument that those are not nearly as steeped in the original lore like this looks to be. Hell, Sonic remakes its lore in the first 5 minutes.

And those took HUGE LIBERTIES with the source material