Grade it  

55 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it

On 1/7/2018 at 11:13 PM, Goffe said:

At first, I couldn't get past the inherent silliness of the concept of entire generations of one's family getting upset by simply hearing the word music because someone they never knew abandoned them ages ago.

But once we got to the world of the dead, my gears shifted from puzzlement to total indifference. Coco began to resemble the newer Disney animations rather than classic Pixar I love so dearly. Fascinated by the superficial, plot beats that inspired the biggest eye-rolls and extremely slight on substance; pretty much every modern WDA picture.

Then, as the message took final shape during the third act, I started to dislike it so very intensely. "Only family matters" seems harmless enough, but there was something insidiously entrenched underneath that statement. "Giving up your aspirations and desires, your true self is the right path. Conform. Family knows best, absolutely". Sure, Coco does tried to defuse that side of the message by letting Miguel be a musician and giving Coco that moving moment at the end where everyone goes "awwwnnn" but no one in the family actually learns anything.

Also, the whole endeavor being dazzled by what seems a rather cruel world.

4/10

proxy.php?code=b4044ddeec67b05a6fe1fa428

• Like 2

"I'm proud of you."

The little moments matter most. As beautifully surprising and emotionally raw the sixth go-around as it was the first. A symphony of love, life, and pure bliss I shall revisit time and time again.

"Until you're in my arms again, remember me."

A+

• Like 1