Ezen Baklattan

2017 Critics/Alternate Awards Discussion

4 minutes ago, filmlover said:

WGA awards are currently happening with Original Screenplay still to go but Call Me by Your Name just won Adapted. Very well-deserved. :D

Get Out won Original Screenplay.

Well, that's the end of the line for Lady Bird, which will likely go home empty-handed. Best Picture is gonna be any of The Shape of Water, Three Billboards, or Get Out now.

• Like 1

Prior to - and actually overlapping with - the streak of Director/Cinematography matches, there were several years in a row where Cinematography and Visual Effects matched up: Avatar, Inception, and Hugo, then overlap with the Director match with Life of Pi and Gravity. And yet, in the three years since that streak's last winner, none of the three Visual Effects winners - Interstellar, Ex Machina, and The Jungle Book - were even nominated in Cinematography. Or, as Jake said more succinctly above, they aren't necessarily beholden to patterns year-in and year-out.

That being said, I am still predicting Shape of Water to win. It's a lovely-looking film with a ton of other nominations and Best Picture heat to boot, and I'm thinking that will ultimately be enough to deny Deakins again.

I seem to remember at the ceremony two years ago when they were calling out the cinematography nominees Deakins' name got easily the loudest applause. By this point even those in the Academy who normally wouldn't know or care must be well aware of his track record. Definitely gonna be one of the most interesting moments of this ceremony.

2 hours ago, Jake Gittes said:

I seem to remember at the ceremony two years ago when they were calling out the cinematography nominees Deakins' name got easily the loudest applause. By this point even those in the Academy who normally wouldn't know or care must be well aware of his track record. Definitely gonna be one of the most interesting moments of this ceremony.

he just won the BAFTA as well which is a nice sign. he won for true grit there but he didn't win the cinematography guild for that so this year w/ the combo might be more indicative.

Edited by CoolioD1
  • Like 2

35 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

Three Billboards won film. Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

I THINK picture is still up in the air because of the voting system. if it had been the old way it would win but preferential vote makes it less certain. interesting to note bafta have gone the same way as the globes recently with La La Land/Revenant/Boyhood winning best film. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

I THINK picture is still up in the air because of the voting system. if it had been the old way it would win but preferential vote makes it less certain. interesting to note bafta have gone the same way as the globes recently with La La Land/Revenant/Boyhood winning best film. 

Yeah, I'm still sticking with SOW.

16 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

he just won the BAFTA as well which is a nice sign. he won for true grit there but he didn't win the cinematography guild for that so this year w/ the combo might be more indicative.

just looked this up the last film to win both the cinematography guild award and the BAFTA and then lose the oscar was children of men... which lost to a guillermo del toro movie.