DeeCee

Episode IV:A NEW MOUSE | DISNEY | IT IS DONE

2 minutes ago, filmlover said:

What movie in the last 25 years actually became an overnight sudden box office smash because of the Oscars alone are you suggesting?

Million Dollar Baby, maybe? And that was mostly because it was fueled by controversy over its third act more than being a Best Picture winner.

Well I been tracking the box office since 2002, and when films used to get nominated, they got massive crazy jumps at the box office.

Now, the jumps are nothing in comparison as they used to be?

What is the reason for that? 

9 minutes ago, Johnny Tran said:

Less major movie studios around means less creativity.

I don't agree with this as long as the company says those studios and productions are going to stay intact. They are just owned by a different company. A lot of times they are still given the freedom to run away from that companies vision and aren't interfered with.

12 minutes ago, Barnack said:

Who is talking about blaming Disney, they would do the best opportunities they have in front of them and you cannot expect them not to do so, I am not sure why people are talking about blaming either corporation here.

It is more blaming the situation that has a long list of variable.

It feels like a lot of people are blaming Disney in this thread. A lot of hate being sent their way.

I agree with blaming the situation.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Lordmandeep said:

Well I been tracking the box office since 2002, and when films used to get nominated, they got massive crazy jumps at the box office.

Now, the jumps are nothing in comparison as they used to be?

What is the reason for that? 

Windows shrinking, pretty much. Nowadays, it's usual for most of the nominees to be available to watch at home (legally) by the time the big night comes.

Edited by filmlover
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, DARth DAR said:

I don't necessarily buy the less creativity argument since there's many more distribution outlets these days.

So i pay for a service in hopes that they show movies I want to see instead of going to the theater and watching a movie I want to see? Movies might still be made and distributed but how wide?  Will I have to travel a thousand miles to see it? Will I have to wait until I can rent it?  Not the same experience.   Because let's be honest here...  less movies will be made,  less movies will have wider distributions.

5 minutes ago, Lordmandeep said:

No the Superbowl still maintains its ratings...

Did it ?:

http://www.latimes.com/business/hollywood/la-fi-ct-super-bowl-ratings-20170206-story.html

Super Bowl's TV ratings slip for the second straight year

7 minutes ago, Lordmandeep said:

Oscar movies no longer get the massive box office boosts as they used to do in the past after getting nominated or winning awards 

When was that ?

In 1983 for example, most were making 0$ post award ceremony:

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/oscar/chart/?yr=1983&p=.htm

2017, post noms/ceremony boost does not seem smaller:

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/oscar/chart/?yr=2016&view=fulldetail&p=.htm

They got the date much closer in modern time to help movies, in the past the award was so late that it could not do much, when Lords of the rings broke Oscar records, it did less than 4% of is box office after that.

Just now, Jay Hollywood said:

Also keep in mind 

Mickey Mouse is and was supposed to be fair use. Its been over 100 years..... Disney paid people off. Mickey will never be a publicly licensed character.  They even tried to sue the Dj DeadMau5. 

They can always use one of those creepy bargain basement versions that are found on the streets of Times Square.

Just now, Lordmandeep said:

Well, it does not justify it but frankly, it is extremely commonplace and the only solution I see is more availability on streaming services. 

So basically you support the death of cinema (unless it's for a big blockbuster). Gotcha.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, somebody85 said:

Okay. No what I was saying was Disney did that after Universal already had it in effect for free (at least I believe so). Universal I think started it with the Single Rider option.

You're correct. As far as I know Universal/Islands Of Adventure does not charge for a express pass during non seasonal events. Unless that changed recently? I haven't been in awhile outside of Halloween Horror Nights. As far as the express pass there though, yeah that's something you have to pay for on top of the $80 admission or whatever it is depending on the select night (sometimes it's $55). It's also not front of the line. There is still usually a 10 minute wait or so.

Now Disneys reserve thing with ride times. Yeah they've been doing that for awhile and I don't agree with it either. Easy money for them. Some people want to pay for that convenience. I think they introduced that (at least here) to compete with Universals Harry Potter stuff because they don't have a ton of new attractions yet. But that's going to change with Star Wars.

And yeah that sucks about wait times, for people who don't choose to pay for that. I was just saying both parks price gouge. I used Halloween Horror Nights as an example because the Express Pass definitely effects the regular lines. On the busiest peak nights, those can still be 20 minutes then you have the regular line ballooning out to 3 hours. So people who just pay for GA are paying just to wait and line and walk around because Universal is obviously going to focus more on the express line.

So yeah, Universal isn't exactly innocent either although I agree that Disney is worse. Both raised their ticket and resort prices a lot in the past few years.

Express has been an upcharge since 2003 or 2004

As for Fastpass+ at Disney, that's totally free at WDW but the MaxPass system at DL is an upcharge because it works in conjunction with paper FP.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, filmlover said:

So basically you support the death of cinema (unless it's for a big blockbuster). Gotcha.

No I am just a realist? 

Its gonna happen anyways. 

Netflix and others are already making their own movies. They are not up to par but in a few years who knows? 

What do you think will happen then? 

Edited by Lordmandeep

12 hours ago, Barnack said:

Change mid-budget for non low budget, and no why bring some hyperbole and strawmen all the time about holy relic, imagine Disney announce they stop doing Marvel movies for the next 10 year's, if someone express that he would want for that not to happen would you assume that the person think they are relic or important or anything ? Or just that he like them and would want more of them instead of less ?

Some people like Fincher type of production and people like them still having ok schedule (not the 120 days of the pass but still healthy 65-80 days) to do a solid movie.

None of that has anything to do with the studios.   It's what the public wants.   The studios follow the public and their taste.

The implication all over this thread is that the evil studios (mostly Disney) are refusing to make movies that people want or are forcing people to watch movies they don't want to see (or even in the case of Disney...forcing people to pay more to attend their theme parks).

No, the Marvel movies are happening because the public wants them to happen.   If/when the public stops wanting Marvel movies, they will stop being made.   That's how it works.

Now imagine a Marvel fan complaining about that if/when it happens.   Imagine how silly it would look if that Marvel fan blamed the studio for not making Marvel movies instead of admitting the public made that decision.

That is what is happening here with this complaint about "mid budget movies".   If the public wants them, then someone will make them.    If the studios don't want to make them, another studio will swoop in and take that money.

But the truth is that the public ISN'T interested.   That's why less of them are being made.   And as you pointed out, it's not just a Disney thing.   The viewing habits of the public have changed.   The industry will have to adapt and that's what they are doing.

4 hours ago, JamesCameronScholar said:

It really is a shame of a deal, my only solice is that Jim doesn't take orders from anyone so this will thankfully not impact his vision for the Avatar sequels. 

It didn't impact Marvel or Pixar either.   Disney obviously allows people to do things their way.    The only one that appears to have changed much is Star Wars...and that was change for the better.

3 hours ago, Mojoguy said:

WB/DC is pissing their pants right now. The DCEU is on its last legs now that Disney controls the X-men and F4.

I prefer to think they will be inspired to improve what they are doing.   Competition is good for quality.

3 hours ago, Ragnar said:

The last ones were good.

Ego

Vulture

Hela

Grandmaster (kinda of Villain)

All good, well written villains, with good actors playing them.

I liked Zemo too. Very subtle, with very good acting, cool background and some really surprising things.

They're better than all the comic book villains in other movies recently. 

And I think Black Panther and Infinity War will have pretty good villains too.

Kinda funny that the "Marvel has weak villains" talking point is bandied about so freely when they have the best villains of all the CBMs.   This year it wasn't even close.

3 hours ago, boomboom234 said:

I don’t have time to write a full consumer theory paper for why a monopoly is bad, read into the LA times controversy this year for a brief description or read about the movie theater issue with Disney. But beyond that this deal gives far too much power to one entity, in terms of sports Disney is now the only game in town in NY and other areas, in terms of TV it will own 42% of the market that’s obscene and a similar amount for movies. This will create costs that will be past down to consumers Disney can jack up rates as it had no competition the other studios will have to merge to compete and then what

If a company charges too much that opens up opportunities for other companies to steal their customers.    Someone is always there with a better idea to take advantage of situations like that.

3 hours ago, Spidey Freak said:

LMAO Fantastic Four are trending on Twitter. But from what I've read, Fox doesn't have their movie rights but a German studio called Constantin Films, who hire Fox to produce and distribute the FF films for them.

That one doesn't make sense.   Marvel had to talk to Fox to get the right to use Ego...not Constantin.

2 hours ago, XO21 said:

Doom canceled.

1 hour ago, boomboom234 said:

DQT9y8TUMAAan_B.jpg:large

I'll leave it here as there is no point in going further. This comment probably best describes the current reality 

Translation:   "The movies I like are more important than the movies you like".

1 hour ago, raulbalarezo said:

disney-r-rated-marvel-movies-bob-iger-10

Doom canceled again.

54 minutes ago, franfar said:

One wonders how those 5 bigger previous deals didn't ruin everything and doom us all.   I guess the 6th largest deal was the time to get upset.

52 minutes ago, filmlover said:

As we've seen in recent weeks, people still go to the movies for the non-tentpoles when they appeal to them so...

Image result for yeah you failed

So there shouldn't be a problem.   If people are supporting those kinds of movies, they will be made.

34 minutes ago, B D Joe said:

This will lead to the Hollywood crash Spielberg warned us about.

Doom returns!

22 minutes ago, Fullbuster said:

I remember about a recent study showing that most job losses happened because of automation,  not globalization. Lordmandeep is manipulated by the far right on that one.

Yeah, people have been crying doom about things like that since Henry Ford introduced the assembly line.   People lost their jobs in the buggy whip business as cars took over but the world became a better place and more jobs were created in other areas to make up for it.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

TOP 10 - Highest grossing Fox films since 2000 domestically (not including Star Wars prequels).

Deadpool - $363.1M
Night at the Museum - $250.9M
X-Men: The Last Stand - $234.4M
X-Men: Days of Future Past - $233.9M
Cast Away - $233.6M
The Martian - $228.4M
Logan - $226.3M

Alvin and the Chipmunks: The Squeakquel ($219.6M) 

Alvin and the Chipmunks ($217.3M)

5 minutes ago, Jay Hollywood said:

Also keep in mind 

Mickey Mouse is and was supposed to be fair use. Its been over 100 years..... Disney paid people off. Mickey will never be a publicly licensed character.  They even tried to sue the Dj DeadMau5. 

Hah I remember that. Joel won.

Getting into that though. Disney frequently goes after little businesses that use their characters without permission but leaves bootleg Youtube channels that make a lot of money alone. I don't get it.

Before Youtube cracked down on those kids channels due to advertisers pulling out, Disney should have gone after all of them for copyright but didn't.

3 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

Express has been an upcharge since 2003 or 2004

As for Fastpass+ at Disney, that's totally free at WDW but the MaxPass system at DL is an upcharge because it works in conjunction with paper FP.

Ah see, I haven't been in so long so I didn't know that outside of HHN. Okay yeah...I know they still have the Single Riders option which is free though.

I also thought the reserve a ride thing at WDW was free? At least I heard it was. I haven't been there in like 20 years though so I don't know.

• Like 1

Just now, somebody85 said:

Ah see, I haven't been in so long so I didn't know that outside of HHN. Okay yeah...I know they still have the Single Riders option which is free though.

I also thought the reserve a ride thing at WDW was free? At least I heard it was. I haven't been there in like 20 years though so I don't know.

It is for both coasts, but at DL, you can access it online for an upcharge in conjunction with the standard system. At WDW, paper Fastpass went away, so you have to use it online or in park.