DeeCee

Episode IV:A NEW MOUSE | DISNEY | IT IS DONE

6 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Only one film among the Best Picture nominees in 2007 made $100M+ while the others made between $40M to $74M (and that was the Best Picture winner), the on average range of the last few Oscar ceremonies. So yeah, you still fail.

Inflation, Home Video revenues that do not really exist for such films now? 

Declining viewership of the award show? 

Edited by Lordmandeep

3 minutes ago, somebody85 said:

To be fair, Universal prices are insane here too. For both Universal and Islands Of Adventure. All the resorts. Pick your poison.

Edit: Oh and pretty sure Disney started that Pay for play thing due to Universal having the Single Riders thing first. You didn't have to pay for it with Universal but as a frequent attender to Halloween Horror Nights, the express prices are fucking outrageous.

On the biggest peak nights it was $149.99 for a pass to wait in a smaller line. $150!

You're paying a for a huge seasonal event which is separate admission and for paying for front of the line passes so duhhhhhhhh. You didnt have to pay that much.

Thats not the issue. universal never had fast pass. They have regular line and then its 100 bucks for front of the line (which doesn't effect capacity) 

Disney has a regular line, plus FREE fast pass, plus now you can reserve a ride time months in advance on vacation ( which KILLS hourly capacity) . Which is cool for them but the average wait time during the day for an "average guest" is 30% more now. but tickets are more expensive.

Its a completely different set up. 

8 minutes ago, Lordmandeep said:

Germany also has a hold on the EU t that works in its favour? 

Beyond that however, I think what they do well is promoting trade educations that a lot of blue collar workers here in the U.S. seem to actively avoid. This allows them to learn actual skilled manufacturing traits and stay ahead of the curve. Whereas here the U.S.' education system is all about funneling people into a STEM/liberal arts degree, at incredibly high costs to boot.

Edited by MrPink
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, The Last Panda said:

From what I understand Iger doesn't want to sell, and this purchase isn't accounting for potential growth that'll happen within the next few years due to Disney's expansions into streaming and such.

Yes, Apple can still buy Disney, but Disney seems to be moving more towards trying to be a major player in media distribution than being a bought out player.

Whatever growth Disney has will likely be matched and beaten by Apple's typical growth. There is a reason Apple is already 5 times larger than a Disney company with a pretty strong portfolio of assets in the first place.

• Like 1

Just now, Lordmandeep said:

Inflation, Home Video?

Declining viewership? 

TV (even live) has been on the decline for years, as has the popularity of the home video market (most stuff is streaming these days). So I don't even know what you're arguing about here.

1 minute ago, somebody85 said:

But yeah, people are probably going to lose their jobs but that was going to happen as soon as Fox announced it wanted to sell. Why blame Disney?

Blame Fox for that. 

Who is talking about blaming Disney, they would do the best opportunities they have in front of them and you cannot expect them not to do so, I am not sure why people are talking about blaming either corporation here.

It is more blaming the situation that has a long list of variable.

• Like 2

People who minimize this entire transaction to "X-Men can now appear in MCU movies"  aren't bright.  Really.  Less major movie studios around means less creativity. That is what always happens in any situation where there's a monopoly.   And by the way,  the consumer NEVER WINS. 

Edited by Johnny Tran
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, filmlover said:

TV (even live) has been on the decline for years, as has the popularity of the home video market (most stuff is streaming these days). So I don't even know what you're arguing about here.

No the Superbowl still maintains its ratings...

Oscar movies no longer get the massive box office boosts as they used to do in the past after getting nominated or winning awards 

yet you are suggesting the Oscars are as relevant as they were in the past?

The Oscars are still a big deal, just not as much as in the past, like when it was when It was when we were growing up?

Things have changed, but of course, you guys cant deal with that. 

This is all part of the argument of your version of an idealized Hollywood to a changing dynamic. 

Edited by Lordmandeep

3 minutes ago, Johnny Tran said:

People who minimize this entire transaction to "X-Men can now appear in MCU movies"  aren't bright.  Really.  Less major movie studios around means less creativity. That is what always happens in any situation where there's a monopoly.   And by the way,  the consumer NEVER WINS. 

I'm going to say this whenever I see somebody say monopoly in this thread.

Disney is not close to being a monopoly.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, MrPink said:

and eventually they decide we can just funnel that money into something that'll be guaranteed more successful.

and why wouldn't they do just that? these studios are not run by people who love films, they are run by people whose only objective is to make money, and Disney, unlike other studios, has found the perfect formula to make money. I can't honestly see a scenario where Searchlight doesn't go extinct in a few years and Fox output is not greatly diminished or folded into Disney operations.

Edited by Goffe
  • Like 1

Just now, Lordmandeep said:

No the Superbowl still maintains its ratings...

Oscar movies no longer get the massive box office boosts as they used to do in the past? 

yet you are suggesting the Oscars are as relevant as they were in the past?

What movie in the last 25 years actually became an overnight sudden box office smash because of the Oscars alone are you suggesting?

Million Dollar Baby, maybe? And that was mostly because it was fueled by controversy over its third act more than being a Best Picture winner.

1 minute ago, Goffe said:

and why wouldn't they do just that? these studios are not run by people who love films, they are run for people whose only objective is to make money, and Disney, unlike other studios, has found the perfect formula to make money. I can't honestly see a scenario where Searchlight doesn't go extinct in a few years and Fox output is not greatly diminished or folded into Disney operations.

The main reason why I see Searchlight alive is one reason and one reason only: their streaming service. You can’t just serve chicken at a restaurant.

Just now, Jay Hollywood said:

You're paying a for a huge seasonal event which is separate admission and for paying for front of the line passes so duhhhhhhhh. You didnt have to pay that much.

Thats not the issue. universal never had fast pass. They have regular line and then its 100 bucks for front of the line (which doesn't effect capacity) 

Disney has a regular line, plus FREE fast pass, plus now you can reserve a ride time months in advance on vacation ( which KILLS hourly capacity) . Which is cool for them but the average wait time during the day for an "average guest" is 30% more now. but tickets are more expensive.

Its a completely different set up. 

Okay. No what I was saying was Disney did that after Universal already had it in effect for free (at least I believe so). Universal I think started it with the Single Rider option.

You're correct. As far as I know Universal/Islands Of Adventure does not charge for a express pass during non seasonal events. Unless that changed recently? I haven't been in awhile outside of Halloween Horror Nights. As far as the express pass there though, yeah that's something you have to pay for on top of the $80 admission or whatever it is depending on the select night (sometimes it's $55). It's also not front of the line. There is still usually a 10 minute wait or so.

Now Disneys reserve thing with ride times. Yeah they've been doing that for awhile and I don't agree with it either. Easy money for them. Some people want to pay for that convenience. I think they introduced that (at least here) to compete with Universals Harry Potter stuff because they don't have a ton of new attractions yet. But that's going to change with Star Wars.

And yeah that sucks about wait times, for people who don't choose to pay for that. I was just saying both parks price gouge. I used Halloween Horror Nights as an example because the Express Pass definitely effects the regular lines. On the busiest peak nights, those can still be 20 minutes then you have the regular line ballooning out to 3 hours. So people who just pay for GA are paying just to wait and line and walk around because Universal is obviously going to focus more on the express line.

So yeah, Universal isn't exactly innocent either although I agree that Disney is worse. Both raised their ticket and resort prices a lot in the past few years.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Goffe said:

and why wouldn't they do just that? these studios are not run by people who love films, they are run for people whose only objective is to make money, and Disney, unlike other studios, has found the perfect formula to make money. I can't honestly see a scenario where Searchlight doesn't go extinct in a few years and Fox output is not greatly diminished or folded into Disney operations.

Maybe because they're bored and they want to spice things up for a few years. They've conquered the box office and profits, next up, the Oscars.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, YourMother the Edgelord said:

The main reason why I see Searchlight alive is one reason and one reason only: their streaming service. You can’t just serve chicken at a restaurant.

yeah someone earlier in this thread, don't remember who said they saw some "news" about Hulu doing the adult themed FOX stuff, so it will keep that catalog, but a separate service for the Disney stuff which was to be expected that there would be two services.

Now will it stay that way or will they just convert to one streaming service is yet to be seen.  But I don't stream so I really don't care, but I know for some that's the only reason they care about this deal :P