grim22

Jurassic World: Dominion | June 10 2022 | 6th Most Profitable Movie of 2023

13 minutes ago, Brainbug the Dinosaur said:

I just struggle to think how they could fuck this movie up to such a degree. Again, i would think its pretty hard to make a JW movie that is actually NOT at least fun/entertaining.

It could just get criticized for having too much action, and not feeling like a Jurassic Park movie, Not enough slow & silent moments like in Jurassic Park, dumb writing, bad dialogues and stuff like that.

But how much of that is actually bad and how much of that is nitpickin, critics and many people even thought that Alladin was awful, it is 55% on RT and it had one of the best WOMs of 2019.

15 minutes ago, THUNDER BIRD said:

It could just get criticized for having too much action, and not feeling like a Jurassic Park movie, Not enough slow & silent moments like in Jurassic Park, dumb writing, bad dialogues and stuff like that.

But how much of that is actually bad and how much of that is nitpickin, critics and many people even thought that Alladin was awful, it is 55% on RT and it had one of the best WOMs of 2019.

I could imagine critics beeing especially critical (pun intended) of this movie if they already disliked Fallen Kingdom. If the reviews are mainly afwul because of bad dialogue and too much action, that woundt worry me actually. If there are story beats that dont work for either critics nor audiences, thats where this movie will get problems.

I actually miss the time where internet wasn't there and we used to get movies reviews by newspapers and friends. There was no negativity, just movie being released, if you like it then good, if you don't then bad. Simple times.

Now I'm going to spend rest 10 days anxious because apparently now everyone thinks this will suck and flop.

Anyways hopefully it does 1 billion atleast. Rest what can i say. Internet is a great place if you want to decrease your enthusiasm about something you like.

Unless you like Marvel, only thing that is negativity proof nowadays.

Rant over. 

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, THUNDER BIRD said:

Now I'm going to spend rest 10 days anxious because apparently now everyone thinks this will suck and flop.

Just don't. The exact same shit happened with the original Jurassic World and to a much larger extent Fallen Kingdom and look how well they did. 

It's the last one in the series, it brings back the original cast, it'll do well.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Menor Reborn said:

Yeah I've been sticking with you @Brainbug the Dinosaur but if audience reception is poor then it's hard to imagine this doing anything special at the BO.

Yes. The GA can lift movies of this franchise to crazy heights, but if the movie truly stinks, then the same GA can make it fall flat on its face.

But personnally, ive learned from my KotM meltdown that as a fan of these franchises, its always healthy to differentiate between the enjoyment of the movie to the enjoyment (or disappointment) in the box office run. With KotM, reviews were bad and it was a box office failure, but its one of my favourite movies of all time.

With Dominion, i hope for a Fallen Kingdom situation where reviews may be bad (and honestly, ive expected bad reviews from the start), but i just hope that it isnt the sort of bad that also translates into bad box office. And imo, as long as i personally love or at least like the movie, its a success for me anyway 🙂

• Like 1

The one thing with FK that I don't think can be forgotten is it had a relatively dead summer. I always had a hunch that played a big part in it doing well, this summer feels a lot more crowded and if the reception is FK's level, or worse, I can see a big drop-off incoming.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, ThomasNicole said:

One is actually a strong fan of the franchise and said it's the worst of the whole franchise by far and the most frustrating experience he had in years.

It can't be worse than FK by far, it's physically impossible, probably around the same level.

6 minutes ago, Mulder said:

The one thing with FK that I don't think can be forgotten is it had a relatively dead summer. I always had a hunch that played a big part in it doing well, this summer feels a lot more crowded and if the reception is FK's level, or worse, I can see a big drop-off incoming.

I disagree here. FK opened just one week after Incredibles 2 did 182M on OW and that movie did another 80M on FK' OW. And in its 3rd weekend, Ant-Man 2 opened to 75M while Dominion has only Top Guns 3rd weekend and Lightyears OW as real big competition.

Elvis on Weekend 3 has a completely different audience and Thor on July 8 is so far away that it wont matter that much.

So if Dominion underperforms i woudnt blame it on competition, more on the movie itself then probably.

Edited by Brainbug the Dinosaur

1 minute ago, Brainbug the Dinosaur said:

I disagree here. FK opened just one week after Incredibles 2 did 182M on OW and that movie did another 80M on FK' OW. And in its 3rd weekend, Ant-Man 2 opened to 75M while Dominion has only Top Guns 3rd weekend and Lightyears OW as real big competition.

Elvis on Weekend 3 has a completely different audience and Thor on July 8 is so far away that it wont matter that much.

So if Dominion underperformans i woudnt blame it on competition, more on the movie itself the probably.

The thing is though if you look at FK's run, it really legged it out. Those late legs made all the difference after the (What was called at the time) 'disappointing' OW. With bigger stuff coming down the road, I could see that hitting it.

2 minutes ago, Mulder said:

The thing is though if you look at FK's run, it really legged it out. Those late legs made all the difference after the (What was called at the time) 'disappointing' OW. With bigger stuff coming down the road, I could see that hitting it.

I mean thats possible but isnt it then also a WOM problem if Dominions later legs suck? Fallen Kingdom was well liked by audiences otherwise it woundt have legged it out that way. Competition in late summer for Dominion outside of Thor is imo a lot lighter than it was for Fallen Kingdom. For example, in August outside of Bullet Train which could surprise, there is really not that much.

Every movie gets hit by theater and PLF loss etc ofc. But bad late legs imo only occur when WOM is also mixed-to-bad. The new factor right now is also an early streaming release though.

Just now, Brainbug the Dinosaur said:

I mean thats possible but isnt it then also a WOM problem if Dominions later legs suck? Fallen Kingdom was well liked by audiences otherwise it woundt have legged it out that way. Competition in late summer for Dominion outside of Thor is imo a lot lighter than it was for Fallen Kingdom. For example, in August outside of Bullet Train which could surprise, there is really not that much.

Every movie gets hit by theater and PLF loss etc ofc. But bad late legs imo only occur when WOM is also mixed-to-bad. The new factor right now is also an early streaming release though.

Yeah that was what I was saying though. FK's run was impressive, but it's worth noting how much of that was the relatively quiet summer in 2018 vs this summer. I think Thor on its own is big enough that it could hurt a lot more than Ant-Man & The Wasp or MI:F did imo. What I truly can not get over though is that Universal's seriously holding off on reviews for this until opening day? Insane lol.

4 minutes ago, Mulder said:

Yeah that was what I was saying though. FK's run was impressive, but it's worth noting how much of that was the relatively quiet summer in 2018 vs this summer. I think Thor on its own is big enough that it could hurt a lot more than Ant-Man & The Wasp or MI:F did imo. What I truly can not get over though is that Universal's seriously holding off on reviews for this until opening day? Insane lol.

Universal didnt hold off Reviews for FK and they turned out to be bad so maybe theyre hoping to not kill the bit of hype that exists if they know reviews wont be better?

If thats the case, the strategy is flawed though since 1) holding off reviews is by now a strategy that screams bad reviews lol and 2) the movie releases early in some OS countrys so first reactions and reviews will be out anyway from there.

Edited by Brainbug the Dinosaur
  • Like 1

Now that's more reviews are out, yeah, at least in Brazil reception it's way worse than FK so far 

I saw comparissons with Episode IX, and even complains about the action having no traction for most part

By tomorrow we will have some data about the audience, let's see what happens. I still hope this cross the billion since DS2 didn't get there.

14 minutes ago, Alex SciChannel said:

Also there is a screening in Korea as we speak so expect some new reactions and reviews soon.

Edit: it might've already happened. The reviews are positive

Where are these reviews?

also I’m expecting an RT score in the 30’s. But like I have been saying I’m far more interested in the audience reception as that matters far more with these movies