Fancyarcher

Weekend Thread | Estimates: AQP 50M, RP1 25M, CKBLK 21.4M, BP 8.4M,

Not a perfect comparison since the expansion pattern has been a little different, but Isle of Dogs continues to look like it will do a little better than Moonrise Kingdom, or at least on par. Outpacing it's 5th weekend cume when that was in 400 theaters. 

Edited by MovieMan89
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

Pacific Rim fans treated domestic like it didn't matter either. It matters. Pacific Rim fans ignored that the word of mouth for the film was okay at best, nothing special and nothing good enough to start a great franchise on. Tomb Raider fans are saying the exact same things and are ignoring that we have the results of making a sequel to a movie that only had an okay reception and flopped domestically. 

The main reason I believe there will be another TR is that while PR was competing for mindshare for its "giant robot" concept with a very well established juggernaut franchise, TR is the queen of "female Indiana Jones" as a concept. Any other take on it will be considered a Tomb Raider knockoff, which is the reverse of the PR situation.

I do think Vikander as Lara is in serious doubt. She didn't establish herself as Lara in the mind of the public, so she's still very easy to replace as Lara Croft 3.0

8 minutes ago, That Ambitious Guy said:

Could you please name a film that cost more than $90M, made less than $60M domestic, and got a sequel?  The only example I can find is Chronicles of Riddick, and that came out 9 years later and had a third of the last film’s budget

Can you name a movie that set everything up for a franchise that made practically 3x its budget that didn't get a sequel ? America is not the world and yeah it could do better in another release window.

1 minute ago, harrycaul said:

The main reason I believe there will be another TR is that while PR was competing for mindshare for its "giant robot" concept with a very well established juggernaut franchise, TR is the queen of "female Indiana Jones" as a concept. Any other take on it will be considered a Tomb Raider knockoff, which is the reverse of the PR situation.

I do think Vikander as Lara is in serious doubt. She didn't establish herself as Lara in the mind of the public, so she's still very easy to replace as Lara Croft 3.0

Vikander is staying for sure she was the core thing that was praised about this movie. Suddenly changing her would be right back to square one and a serious gamble not worth taking with the first practically making 3x its budget.

• Like 1

A Quiet Place breaking out is awesome! $155 million domestic looks likely.

Ready Player One’s second weekend hold is awesome! And if nearly $400 million WW & $100 million domestic. So north of $150 million, maybe even $160 million domestic. With possibly over $500 million WW.

Blockers having a decent start for a comedy that doesn’t have a big cast. and should hold fine and do between $50-$60 million. 

Black Panther and I Can Only Imagine still having strong holds in the top 5. As Panther is now the 3rd highest grossing movie domestic and should finish near $700 million possibly. And I Can Only Imagine between $80-$90 million.

Overall this weekend was pretty interesting.

Just now, svenson said:

Actually no. Its unclear what the budget for that one was some are saying it was close to 200 million.

Okay, cool.  And for all we know, Tomb Raider had a bigger budget than it did.  It's all speculation, so I'm going with what the studio's reported budget is.

Another one: Rings.