kayumanggi

AVENGERS ENDGAME | 1939.4 M overseas ● 2797.8 M worldwide

1 hour ago, cdsacken said:

End game should do the exact same. Let it run in dollar theaters for a bit then re release it. Easily can make up the difference. 

That doesn't bring as much as you would think. Since 2013 Avatar added $5.5 million to its worldwide haul, that's $5.5 million in 6 years.

Problem is Disney and Marvel Studios always have a new MCU film right around the corner, and that shifts the public eye. So it can't possibly work the way you think it would work. Endgame, like all previous MCU films, is made to function, to play at the box office, very differently than movies like Jurassic Park, Titanic or Avatar. With the MCU it's all about maximizing the first month, just come in super strong for the hit and then run away and make room for the next big hit (preferably also from the same studio, in this case Disney). Sure, occasionally a couple of their movies will have longer legs, but that's not by design, that just happens because that movie hit the general public a certain way and managed to create additional demand for it.

And with all of that in mind what Endgame did over the last month is nothing short of absolutely incredible, and I've been following box office for long enough to know when I see a once in a generation performance. We're not going to see anything like this for a long time. And even if Avatar 2 finally comes around, of course it's not going to play like this, sure it MIGHT (key word is might) eventually overtake Avatar's worldwide record, but I can guarantee you it's not going to do almost $2.7 billion in a month, like Endgame somehow did (still have a hard time believing it was just $7 million shy of $2.2 billion in only 12 days).

So ultimately while it won't get to the top because it just didn't have enough fuel (a topic for another day), Endgame sure burned brighter than any other star we've ever seen at the box office, even if it only burned that bright for a month. We won't see anything like this for a long time, so cherish these moments instead of fighting about which run was more impressive.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, keysersoze123 said:

Problem for endgame domestic is next 2 weeks we will see see 110m+ from openers(multiple movies) without having single uber break out. Last year Solo topped weekend after memorial day with 29m, while week after that Oceans 8 topped with 40m(no other major opener). So endgame will start to shed screens and with 3 hour runtime its number of peak hour shows will be limited.

But disney could push the movie again in August and so we have to wait until labor day to confirm if its over or not. But it looks tougher than last week for sure.

by june we will know where it will finish, maybe it can pass avatar and maybe it cant at least not without push, this answers we will know by june

3 hours ago, Elessar said:

Hmm according to BOM IW's 5th weekend was 14.5m (OS - China) and it went on to make about 50m more (again OS-China), if my calculation are correct. Including DOM's 50m after Memorial Days 4-day, that's almost exactly 100m more it grossed after this weekend WW. If EG does the same it would be only 10m short of Avatar. 

Dunno why @Charlie Jatinder is throwing in the towel yet. It's too close to comfort, the champagne bottles remain corked for the time being...

Yep but the competition the next 2 weekends was Adrift and Ocean's 8...

Edited by efialtes76

2 minutes ago, AlexMA said:

That doesn't bring as much as you would think. Since 2013 Avatar added $5.5 million to its worldwide haul, that's $5.5 million in 6 years.

Problem is Disney and Marvel Studios always have a new MCU film right around the corner, and that shifts the public eye. So it can't possibly work the way you think it would work. Endgame, like all previous MCU films, is made to function, to play at the box office, very differently than movies like Jurassic Park, Titanic or Avatar. With the MCU it's all about maximizing the first month, just come in super strong for the hit and then run away and make room for the next big hit (preferably also from the same studio, in this case Disney). Sure, occasionally a couple of their movies will have longer legs, but that's not by design, that just happens because that movie hit the general public a certain way and managed to create additional demand for it.

And with all of that in mind what Endgame did over the last month is nothing short of absolutely incredible, and I've been following box office for long enough to know when I see a once in a generation performance. We're not going to see anything like this for a long time. And even if Avatar 2 finally comes around, of course it's not going to play like this, sure it MIGHT (key word is might) eventually overtake Avatar's worldwide record, but I can guarantee you it's not going to do almost $2.7 billion in a month, like Endgame somehow did (still have a hard time believing it was just $7 million shy of $2.2 billion in only 12 days).

So ultimately while it won't get to the top because it just didn't have enough fuel (a topic for another day), Endgame sure burned brighter than any other star we've ever seen at the box office, even if it only burned that bright for a month. We won't see anything like this for a long time, so cherish these moments instead of fighting about which run was more impressive.

like i said before, let it hit 2,7 bill first and then we  will start talking about how close it can get or even if it can pass it, the difference is so small that things can change so quickly for better or worse

3 minutes ago, efialtes76 said:

I know. 

IW against Adrift and Ocean's 8

Endgame against Godzilla, Rocketman, Dark Phoenix and SLoP2. 

agreed however it balances out as iw had incredibles 2 and jurrasic world after  these 2 movies, so there is a little balance

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, john2000 said:

agreed however it balances out as iw had incredibles 2 and jurrasic world after  these 2 movies, so there is a little balance

In 2 weekends EW will be dead OS. 

Edited by efialtes76
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, john2000 said:

I agree with this. It seems like people forget that IW had tough competition too.

19 minutes ago, john2000 said:

No it doesn't. You want competition as far away from your first couple of weeks (when you make most of your money) as possible. by that point, when Incredibles 2 and Jurassic World 2 hit, IW was making $5 and $2.5 million respectively. So it maybe lost $1-2 million max from those. If those two would have come out a week earlier the potential loss would have been $2-3 million or even more. See where I'm going?

By the time Godzilla and X-Men and everything else in June is done with Endgame there won't be much left. In this situation you would much rather have Godzilla and X-Men in Endgame's 8th and 9th weekends instead of 6th and 7th.

• Thanks 2

Just now, efialtes76 said:

No. 

6th weekend OS was $26M($12M- Chi). 

Well, no that’s not true at all. Infinity War had the late release for China over Endgame. Take out China and the OS gross would be about the same. 

1 minute ago, AlexMA said:

No it doesn't. You want competition as far away from your first couple of weeks (when you make most of your money) as possible. by that point, when Incredibles 2 and Jurassic World 2 hit, IW was making $5 and $2.5 million respectively. So it maybe lost $1-2 million max from those. If those two would have come out a week earlier the potential loss would have been $2-3 million or even more. See where I'm going?

By the time Godzilla and X-Men and everything else in June is done with Endgame there won't be much left. In this situation you would much rather have Godzilla and X-Men in Endgame's 8th and 9th weekends instead of 6th and 7th.

anyway we will see

I will say something now that I think it might be seen as laughable now, and I do concede that we have Jatinder, Fake and several better people to project international numbers than me but here it goes:

I think we are overstimating the effect that KOTM, DP and TS4 will have for Endgame. Pure gut feeling, just like I never felt that Pokémon would be a higher threat to its box office than DP2. I might be completely wrong, but just putting out there.

1 hour ago, AlexMA said:

I mean technically Rafa (Avatar) and Nole (Endgame) did beat Fed (Titanic) at the US Open (North America), French Open (international) and Wimbledon (worldwide), so yes? Although it has to be said Fed (Titanic) is considerably older than the other two, so it's not quite fair today.

Roger lost to Rafa in his house in his prime and is 15-23 against Rafa, which is really all that matters, much in the same way that all that really matters to most people is that Endgame eclipsed Titanic in raw $

28 minutes ago, ZattMurdock said:

I will say something now that I think it might be seen as laughable now, and I do concede that we have Jatinder, Fake and several better people to project international numbers than me but here it goes:

I think we are overstimating the effect that KOTM, DP and TS4 will have for Endgame. Pure gut feeling, just like I never felt that Pokémon would be a higher threat to its box office than DP2. I might be completely wrong, but just putting out there.

It has already collapsed internationally, did you see the numbers it did for the entire week ? It is over, time to accept it and move on, still had an amazing run.

• Disbelief 1