grim22

Academy Awards adding a "Best Popular Film" category. Good or bad idea? Academy walks it back, won't be presented this year

The fix the snobbery will be hard it is almost just math

You have  what 15,000 movies in a year, 25 of them would not count for a snob pick according to how people talk ? (If putting Dunkirk, La la land, The Martian, Hidden Figures, Get Out, etc.... in does not count has accepting that popular movie can also be great).

I doubt that A quiet Place will have is chance hurt because it had been such a popular movie.

It is just much much unlikely for one of those to get nominated or win, the fact that they get nominated so much to an ridiculous higher rate have many reason, one being that the voter prefer them to the average small movie because they tend to be much better.

Edited by Barnack

Yeah I agree with all the points except that the Academy supposedly doesn't nominate popular movies. Look at the actual damn nominees and their grosses. There's a fine balance there. Just cause they didn't nominate your favorite superhero movie of whatever year doesn't mean popular hits aren't represented. Hell in 2012 all except two nominees grossed between 90m and 200m.

15 minutes ago, 4815162342 said:

That's a good mix of blockbusters, audience hits, mid-tier dramas, and indies. A guaranteed 10 films under the 2009/2010 rules worked well.

But most of the hits on that list, the Inception, Black Swan, Blind Side, Avatar, King Speech would still made it nowaday no ? It is not like the equivalent of a giant Nolan/Cameron original movie with great reviews and giant blockbuster numbers starring a DiCaprio missed it since the rules change or a well liked Tarantino/DOR type success story at the box office.

What the slate of movie they can vote for also matter quite a bit here (like for the OscarSoWhite and so white anymore stuff that was a lot the product of the slate than the new voters changing something), probably more than the voting system.

I think that 10 votes system can be the difference for the Toy story 3/Up going in vs a Inside Out not making it now too, it is sure that movies almost everyone saw get a great boost with the system versus what they use now.

Edited by Barnack

2 minutes ago, Barnack said:

But most of the hits on that list, would still made it nowaday no ?

They changed it from a mandatory 10 and they changed how the voting is done and accounted for with a ranked preferential system.

Also, even though BP can have 5-10 nominees, ballots only let you put five films for BP instead of up to 10, which also hurts.

So no, not necessarily. The Force Awakens missed for example, whereas if we had a mandatory 10 nominees with not the current voting system, it may have have gotten in.

• Like 3

I am sorry I overreacted most likely. I know in my original post, I said the adding of the popular films category is what pissed me off the most but in actuality, it was the shortening of the show because I know damn well all the folks behind the scenes aren't gonna get their dues. 

And when I think about that and then think about how so many folks work on blockbusters (and I guess specifically comic book movies since yes blockbusters have gotten notice) tirelessly especially behind the scenes, it just feels like The Academy doesn't give a shit about those folks. Look the reality is that people like Chris Evans or Chris Pratt or Gal Gadot or Ryan Reynolds etc don't need The Oscars for the roles they play in comic book movies. They get celebrated all the damn time. One of them will post a picture on Instagram or send out a tweet and it'll get a shit ton of likes or comments about how great of a Captain America (or whatever Comic book character they're playing) they are. They get paid millions of dollars. Get endorsement deals. Get to do all the promo and celebrate how great of actors/actresses they are in the roles they're playing. But it's honestly the folks who work behind the scenes on those films. Yea yea I know they get special effects or costume/make up but in a lot of ways when one of these films gets it really right (like The Dark Knight, like Logan or like Black Panther), I feel like they should be recognized. Not because they're super hero movies. Not because any of the actors/actresses need more folks to circle jerk them. It just would be nice if the folks who worked tirelessly on the films behind the scenes could see their film be recognized as the great film it is. That's all.

*Also not just superhero movies but comedy films and horror films too. A popular films category doesn't fix the issue of them getting ignored.  

Edited by Nova

6 minutes ago, 4815162342 said:

They changed it from a mandatory 10 and they changed how the voting is done and accounted for with a ranked preferential system.

Also, even though BP can have 5-10 nominees, ballots only let you put five films for BP instead of up to 10, which also hurts.

So no, not necessarily. The Force Awakens missed for example, whereas if we had a mandatory 10 nominees with not the current voting system, it may have have gotten in.

I think they should either switch it back to 5 nominees or do the full ten like they did in 2009 and 2010 which as you pointed out fixed the issue and was well balanced. 

2 minutes ago, 4815162342 said:

Actually we know exactly how voting works.

Do we get any transparency close to this?

TOP 5 CATEGORY

film #1 - 24% vote

film #2 - 22% vote

film #3 - 21% vote

film #4 - 18% vote

film #4 - 15% vote 

Edited by dmatrixfilmdx

Just now, dmatrixfilmdx said:

Do we get any transparency close to this?

film #1 - 24% vote

film #2 - 22% vote

film #3 - 21% vote

film #4 - 18% vote

film #4 - 15% vote 

No. Vote totals are never released. But we know exactly how the voting process works, and it doesn't work like how you posted.

Just now, 4815162342 said:

No. Vote totals are never released. But we know exactly how the voting process works, and it doesn't work like how you posted.

But if they release vote percentages and vote totals, then one can derive the votes.

They probably will not show anything like this because people are capable of figuring things out scientifically.

Just now, dmatrixfilmdx said:

But if they release vote percentages and vote totals, then one can derive the votes.

They probably will not show anything like this because people are capable of figuring things out scientifically.

So? Making a point or meandering?

Again, it is a preferential ranked ballot. We know exactly how it works with ballot distribution and reallocation.

Just now, 4815162342 said:

So? Making a point or meandering?

Again, it is a preferential ranked ballot. We know exactly how it works with ballot distribution and reallocation.

yes, we know what we are talking about within the context and structure of how the show works....  I think.

but there should also be a scientific process behind it that has yet to be discovered.

The Oscars is garbage to begin with.

Not giving Avatar best picture despite being the CINEMATIC EXPERIENCE of the century... irredeemable

just pack it up folks let the tradition die out we have no use for it no more

Edited by IronJimbo
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, 4815162342 said:

So few sequel ever made it, but yeah maybe Force Awaken would have (Toy Story/Mad Max doing so).

Maybe some that missed since the change (like Inside Out) would have got in, but on the 2009-2010 list that made it in, in live action it is hard to imagine one missing in 2017.

Edited by Barnack

1 minute ago, 4815162342 said:

Let's not get carried away IJ.

It had an awesome rocking final trailer though.

It's not even debatable, if I were to say of all time it would be debatable (because Titanic)... but nothing of this century comes close

• Like 1