baumer

Mandy (2018)

Grade it  

13 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it

Watching Mandy is like being privy to someone else's dream.  People show up out of the blue, you go places that you shouldn't be able to go to and things happen randomly.  And this makes it unlike any other film I've ever seen.  It's definitely not for everyone but it's a hypnotic experience.  I don't think anyone could have played the lead role but Nic Cage.  He's allowed to cut loose here...it's like crazy Nic Cage but even more crazy, like he dropped acid, took LSD and snorted COKE all at the same time.  He's awesome.  

This takes place in 1983, at Crystal Lake.  :)

Dreams, fantasy, love, torture, psychedelics revenge, and so much more. We're introduced to the colourful, precious, vivid and surreal world of Mandy. Her unique bond to her stories, art and husband drive the beginning of the film and serves as a wonderful example of how special her and her husband are to one another. Mandy, on an unfortunate day, is spotted, by the leader of a twisted LSD cult. Her precious energy was so intoxicating that the cult leader stops at nothing to pursue her, going as far as sacrificing his own followers to summon demons to capture Mandy. Mandy's love for her husband and fantasy world is so strong that even under the effects of the cults practice/medicine, she showed strength and perseverance. Ultimately belittling the cult leader, leaving him so fragile and insecure he had to introduce Mandy to her smouldering demise. Enter stage left, the inner fire that sparked Cage's blood crazed revenge trip, which we all gladly follow and cheer on.

At the end of the day, the movie plot is incredibly simple: "kill everybody who wronged a loved one"... And like any movie with a plot that is slightly similar, you know, for the most part, exactly what's going to come. You're going to see someone face incredibly monumental troubles and with the odds against them, they will succeed. Simple, we've all seen those films before AND definitely some worse. But, that's where the magic of this movie surfaces. We know these things need to happen, but, we're on our toes from start to finish. Everything that is predictable, STILL, delivers in a surprising, awesome, soul satisfying way. And we're given beautiful imagery every step of the way to be immersed in the couples world.

I've argued before with members on this site that every movie is made to make money.  I'm not sure if this one was.  It's so surreal, so over the top and so much different than anything out there that I just don't see it catching on with a mainstream audience.  I found it hypnotic, like it left me in a trance in some ways.  I can't wait to see it again.  

If you are at the point where you are tired of Hollywood formula, then this is the film for you.  

9.5/10

• Like 4

Really nice review Baumer. I went knowing nothing about it other than it being a bloody Nic Cage freakout movie, hadn't even seen a trailer, so everything about this was pretty much a complete shock to me. I'm not even sure how much I actually liked it, sometimes I felt it was a little TOO self-indulgently drag-ass and/or weird, but I haven't stopped thinking about it and I think I'll like it more the more I watch it. The highest praise I can give it is I REALLY haven't seen anything quite like it. Plotwise it's a straightforward revenge story but the way it's presented is just so unique and imaginative and it really makes an impression on you, I'd seriously buy an art book of this movie.

Also at the Alamo Drafthouse they had some trippy ambient music video thingy playing before it with planets and lasers and whatnot, it was really cool and totally in-line with this movie, can anyone put me out of my misery and tell me what that was?

Also Cheddar Goblin is awesome.

Also PLEASE don't drop acid and watch this movie.

Edited by MOVIEGUY
  • Like 1

On 9/23/2018 at 6:32 PM, MOVIEGUY said:

Also at the Alamo Drafthouse they had some trippy ambient music video thingy playing before it with planets and lasers and whatnot, it was really cool and totally in-line with this movie, can anyone put me out of my misery and tell me what that was?

Oh I found out what this was if anyone is interested, pretty cool video

I thought it would have been better as a 90 minute movie.  The pacing in the beginning was a little too slow for me.  But once it kicks in.  It’s quite something else.   

Also did Nicholas Cage have more than 25 lines of dialogue