grim22

Last Train to New York | Remake of Train To Busan | New Line | James Wan to produce

https://deadline.com/2018/09/train-to-busan-remake-gary-dauberman-james-wan-zombie-remake-thriller-auction-1202470994/

UPDATED, 4:40 PM: We’re hearing New Line Cinema has taken the pole position on acquiring the remake of Train to Busan, which Gary Dauberman will write and James Wan will produce alongside original rightsholder Gaumont.

https://deadline.com/2021/02/new-lines-train-to-busan-timo-tjahjanto-1234696403/

EXCLUSIVE: The anticipated Train to Busan remake at New Line looks to be gaining steam as sources tell Deadline that Timo Tjahjanto is in negotiations to helm the pic based on the blockbuster South Korean hit.

Atomic Monster’s James Wan and Michael Clear and Gaumont’s Nicolas Atlan and Terry Kalagian will produce alongside Coin Operated’s Gary Dauberman, who is adapting the screenplay. Judson Scott, Sidonie Dumas, Christophe Riandee and Johanna Byer are executive producing.

The original film is a zombie apocalypse thriller directed by Sang-Ho Yeon that premiered at the Cannes Film Festival in 2016 and quickly became an international box office hit and critical smash. It spawned a sequel, Train to Busan: Peninsula, released in 2020.

When rights to the original hit the marketplace, every studio quickly moved to grab hold of something that could ultimately become a franchise. New Line ultimately won out.

As for Tjahjanto, his star has been on the rise going back to his 2016 thriller Headshot, which was selected by Fantastic Fest that same year. He recently directed Netflix’s action thriller The Night Comes for Us and made his name as half of the Mo Brothers with cult horror and action film favorites Macabre, Killers and his V/H/S 2 segment. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Eric Gardner said:

They got an Indonesian director (and an excellent director who's fully capable of making a film better than the original) to make this so I think this remake is fine. And I'm pretty sure neither Tjhajanto nor Wan are going to claim the original as their own either.

11 minutes ago, MOVIEGUY said:

Timo Tjahjanto is directing this? People should be hyped for this, this is gonna be sweet. The Night Comes for Us is such an underrated movie and Safe Haven from VHS 2 is honestly one of my favorite horror things ever.

Wait is Safe Haven the demon goat thing? if so I'm fully in

• Like 1

Could go either way. The Ring and The Departed were awesome remakes. But I caught some BS remake of #Alive on Netflix few weeks ago and it was so bad I didn't bother to remember the title or finish the thing. They cast a charisma vacuum who couldn't hold candle to Yoo Ah In. So if the director is good than more likely the former situation than the latter. That said, huge fan of Train to Busan so I'll keep an open mind. We'll always have the original if remake goes wrong. It isn't like any remake erases the original. They both exists, you can ignore one if you want and it won't change a thing.

5 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

Could go either way. The Ring and The Departed were awesome remakes. But I caught some BS remake of #Alive on Netflix few weeks ago and it was so bad I didn't bother to remember the title or finish the thing. They cast a charisma vacuum who couldn't hold candle to Yoo Ah In. So if the director is good than more likely the former situation than the latter. That said, huge fan of Train to Busan so I'll keep an open mind. We'll always have the original if remake goes wrong. It isn't like any remake erases the original. They both exists, you can ignore one if you want and it won't change a thing.

I shudder to think what the online discourse would be like if those were made now. 

• Like 1