WrathOfHan

Gladiator 2 | November 22, 2024 | DENZEL IS REUNITING WITH RIDLEY?!

7 hours ago, Speedorito said:

Well at least some reaction to the story, especially since it’s a sequel to an iconic Best Picture winner. Action and actors aren’t enough as we saw with Furiosa, and that actually got good reception from a consistent director.

Furiosa was destined to fail from the start

7 hours ago, ThomasNicole said:

Green Book actually won best original screenplay, and i think we can all agreed that story is poorly written and overall trash. 

Like i said, i don´t think the Oscars means much about it´s reception. I agreed with you that Gladiator resonate strongly with audiences, it´s a straight up fact, i just don´t think the story was the reason for it, even if it´s obviously cool and well made. 

That´s probably what we can expect from Gladiator 2 imo even if it´s actually great, because even the great Ridley movies simply aren´t known for standout scripts. Which is why i think it´s normal to someone to say the movie is great and proceed to highlight the action and actors.

Anyway, i get your point, i assume you get mine, so that´s it.

What was wrong with Green Book's story? Oppenheimer aside, it's probably the most well recieved best picture winner of the past decade

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Torontofan said:

Funny thing is if Ridley makes a very by the numbers decent movie that is entertaining or enjoyable, they will do well like the martian. 

The Martian was immune from being a fuck up. The book was just too damn entertaining. Could have been directed by anyone 

9 minutes ago, AniNate said:

Green Book probably isn't the best example to make a point here. It's a movie the olds love but the internet youth hates. I think the internet is more or less a target audience here though so it needs to deliver with that dem.

I dont think Gladiator needs to target the youth as it's main interest will be guys 30 years and over. It just needs that Maverick crowd which managed to propel it high despite the younger generation seemingly disliking Tom Cruise

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, AniNate said:

Green Book probably isn't the best example to make a point here. It's a movie the olds love but the internet youth hates. I think the internet is more or less a target audience here though so it needs to deliver with that dem.

Yeah my parents watched it and are not white and really liked it.

I dont look at the film as history but just a feel good tale and to me it works fine...

Most likely if you put a wise guy Italian bouncer and a sophisticated upper class black man going on a tour of the deep south in the 1960s, it most likely be a mess and a bumpy ride.

Maybe I am bit older but I do think about till the 2000s race relations were quite different then now. Like now the idea of a racist white guy can be friends with a black guy seem absurd to the youth today... but growing up I remember be white guys who hated Indians but be friendly to me... and over time they soften their views.

Today such relations don't exist (not saying they should btw) just was a different time. 

Edited by Torontofan
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, AniNate said:

Since when youth is a target audience of Gladiator? It's a swords and sandals epic which was never popular with comic book crowd.

• Like 1