baumer

Dr. Seuss' The Grinch (2018)

Grade it  

7 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it

This was annoying. There's no reason why this version exists other than for Illumination to add a bunch of wacky gags to a story that was already perfectly told in the animated perennial classic at 1/3rd the running time. And it's further marred by an obnoxious vocal performance by Benedict Cumberbatch that would be a frontrunner for the Razzie if they recognized voice work. I actually liked the Ron Howard/Jim Carrey live-action movie from 2000 quite a bit more than this: while definitely very far from a great movie, it was a more engaging and distinctive spin. C

It was nice.  There was some mild digs and good setup for a few action scenes, but it never reached the heights or thrust of the “Brothers in Arms” track from Mad Max: Fury Road. 

For me, it was boring.  The subplot of the children trying to trap Santa helps bring The Grinch franchise to new levels.  The narration of The Grinch’s existential turmoil towards Christmas kept me focused, and the movie is comprehensible, but its hard to keep me engaged with Grinch animation.  Some of the gags like with the alarm clock were just too much.   I’d give it a B because it doesn’t bore me too much with Dr. Seuss and stays on par with the 2000 Jim Carrey version, and the animation eye candy will sucker me back in for re-watches when convenient

84/100. 

Edited by Clubs Are Trash