baumer

Creed 2 (2018)

Grade it  

16 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it

I’m not going to really elaborate on the pros and cons. Just know it is a pretty good movie. The fight scenes are not as good as the first(no one shot takes), but they are serviceable. The sequel is way better than I thought it would be. The best part of the movie to me was seeing creed and Tessa Thompson’s character relationship evolve. B/B+

Edited by YLF

I liked it but found that it was missing some of the charm of the last one.  For me personally, I felt that when Rocky wasn't in the story, it lacked.  I didn't like Adonis for much of the movie.  He was a petulant, immature man who liked to act impulsively and then blame others for his mistakes.  And when the focus was all about him, the film just didn't resonate with me.

Fortunately after Adonis suffers his Clubber Lang moment, the rest of the movie focuses more on Adonis and Rocky and for me, it really picks up.

I was very invested in Drago's story and I felt really sorry for both of them.  Ivan suffered after his loss to Rocky and losing his wife was a very painful even for him.  Seeing Nielsen in the film was terrific and it's something only Sly could do.  I really enjoyed seeing her.  I liked how at the end of the film, Ivan and his son Viktor seemed to reconcile and there was much more of a father son bond there.  I also really enjoyed the Milo Ventimiglia cameo as well.

The boxing scenes were really well done and a a lot of the relationships were fleshed out beautifully.  If the first half was as good as the second half, this would probably get a 9 from me, as it stands, it's a 7.5/10

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Frozen said:

Also there was one question unanswered. Why did Ludmilla Drago leave her husband and not take their son? 

Because she was a selfish whore.

A couple of things I didn't really care for either.

Why was Adonis living so modestly?  He was the heavy weight champion of the world.  Shouldn't he able to afford a nicer place?  Same with Rocky.  He was his trainer so I'm sure he could afford to live in a better place than the small apartment.  

Yeah the money situation makes no sense at all in this film. It’s not the 80s anymore. Boxers today make millions. If Creed vs Drago was such a huge deal, they’d have both made $100 million by the end of the film. Yet for some reason the Dragos are still poor, Rocky is still poor and Creed loves modestly. 

• Like 1

This was a bit of a step down from Creed (which I loved) for me but this is still a well-done addition to the Rocky canon that concludes with a fittingly exciting final fight. Michael B. Jordan, Tessa Thompson, and Stallone are all great again. Not as well-directed as the previous movie (Coogler's directorial touch is missing), but it's a good piece of entertainment. B

Edited by filmlover

I have the same thoughts most seem to have in here.

Good moments in the film but some lacking that kept the movie from hitting its stride or peak.

I did like the sendoff for Rocky (even though they may keep him as cameos from time to time)

I like how the Dragos even have their own arc and you could tell how Ivan realized he was wrong for pushing his son so hard.  Which obviously mirrored the Rocky reconciliation with is son and even Adonis' with Apollo.  It was really a story still about family and mainly father and sons.

Those parts I liked, but yeah there was some drag here in and there so it kept it down just a tad I would give the film a B+

• Like 1

The other thing that bothered me is that Drago would not have been fighting Creed for the title the first time.  He wasn't ranked so it would have been an exhibition.

On 11/24/2018 at 8:30 AM, Christmas baumer said:

A couple of things I didn't really care for either.

Why was Adonis living so modestly?  He was the heavy weight champion of the world.  Shouldn't he able to afford a nicer place?  Same with Rocky.  He was his trainer so I'm sure he could afford to live in a better place than the small apartment.  

(Not only heavy weight champion but from an extremely rich family). I think the movie wanted to go back to use the aesthetic of the very first movie/Rocky champion of the people feeling, but yeah it did feel very forced to have multi-millionaires presented with life like that.

Edited by Barnack
  • Like 1

Really didn't like it much.

All the Russian's were presented in such a ridiculous way, probably in a homage way for the original Rockies made in a more cold war/ridiculous moment for blockbuster of the 80s, but still... At least the payoff when they stop being on screen cartoons jokes work well.

The very core of the movie, him deciding to take those fights was quite strange, all the people seem to be against it, those same people gain in the time frame between the first and second fight those new information:

• Drago destroy him
  • He is now a father
  • He is even richer than he was before

And from those 2 information (that seem to make the decision to fight him a worst one than before), they change their mind from you should not pick that fight to you should do it and we will encourage you to ? It didn't felt work out in the script at all, it was a bit too obvious they decided from that start what the big set piece would be and than tried to create a movie regardless if they had anything to say, nothing wrong with that and really common but the tricks is to hide it.

Edited by Barnack

It’s not the triumph that its predecessor was, but Creed II has enough intriguing and impactful material to justify its existence and keep its audience involved. Though the directorial verve that Ryan Coogler brought to Creed is noticeably absent here, the film still does an effective job of grappling with Adonis Creed’s conflict between building his own legacy and carrying on that of his father – this time with the added layer of his continued romance from the first film and the beginning of a new family. Creed II is at its best when it focuses either on Creed’s family drama or the energetic, well-choreographed fights. Unfortunately, the out-of-the-ring material with Viktor and Ivan Drago is underdeveloped to the point where the arc rounded out in the climax doesn’t hit as potently as the filmmakers intend, and Sylvester Stallone’s Rocky Balboa isn’t as vital and moving a presence as he was the last time around. Nevertheless, Michael B. Jordan continues to build an impressive resume in reprising the Adonis Creed role; he still has the charm and grit that carried his work in the previous film, and he skillfully plays up Creed’s vulnerability in appropriate places here. His chemistry with the also solid Tessa Thompson also continues to make the central relationship work, and Thompson turns in another quietly powerful performance that successfully reminds audiences of the familial stakes outside of the ring. The trajectory of the narrative is fairly predictable and it doesn’t really challenge or reframe the Rocky legacy as dramatically as the first Creed, but this sequel successfully takes its characters further and provides sufficiently solid entertainment for its target audience.

B

I enjoyed it though it never reached the heights of the first one in action or in the soundtrack.  Story has a nice mix of parts of Rocky 3 and 4. Best thing the movie did were develop the character relationships between Creed and his family and Drago and his son (They could've done more with Young Drago but guessing the actor didn't have much experience). MBJ and Stallone were great once again and most of the other performances were solid. 7.5/10 B

Also they should've kept this deleted scene in the movie. At-least the first part.

There was a fight, and then there was another fight, and another fight.  Stallone’s acting was the works in filling his supporting character with his characters retirement.  The relationship hits strongest when they are in the bedroom and her hair is great! 

I didn’t like any of the fights and I’ve only seen Creed I and gave it a B+.  This one missed with me.  It was just another lost chapter of sports action from Rocky.  There is a heightened sense of fear and war from the film that will likely be reloaded.

B-

82/100