AniNate

The Good Dinosaur | Peter Sohn | BR/DVD release 2-23-2016 | Pixar's first BO flop

I had no problem with the movie being dark. It's the story, characters and the lackluster pacing that did it for me. 

The most interesting characters (the T-Rexes) are barely onscreen. Instead with have the irritating Arlo and cutesy Spot. Ugh.

You know, I will admit the first time I saw this the pacing threw me off a bit too. But I chalked that up to the trailers coloring how I expected certain scenes to play out, and indeed it flowed a lot better the second time I saw it

35 minutes ago, Treelo the Good Treenosaur said:

Yeah I'll agree that this is Pixar's least funny film, but that doesn't bother me. Not every film has to be a comedy.

Of all the problems I had with this movie, the comedy wasn't one of them. I think some of the gross out humor actually works, and it never feels as jarring as it did in Brave. It's downplayed for sure, but it's not necessarily a bad thing when the humor mostly works as effective comic relief.

• Like 1

Arlo has nothing on the annoying or malicious streaks of Mater and Remy, imo

As far as Pixar child characters go I think he's pretty good. Yeah, he doesn't have the charisma of Dash or the naive sweetness of Nemo (still the king), but he's also not stupid like Russell or brash like Merida. And perhaps ironically I found it easier to identify with his feelings than with Riley's

• Like 3

1 hour ago, tribefan695 said:

As far as Pixar child characters go I think he's pretty good. Yeah, he doesn't have the charisma of Dash or the naive sweetness of Nemo (still the king), but he's also not stupid like Russell or brash like Merida. And perhaps ironically I found it easier to identify with his feelings than with Riley's

Don't remember much about Mater from original Cars, except that movie is very rewatchable. Cars 2, Mater, but all of the characters suck, so no point comparing.

I guess it's all subjective now. I identify with Remy. He goes through a very human story. 

Arlo, on the other hand, to me is just way too childish and highly perfunctory instead of truly developing. 

• Like 2

It probably is indeed really personal for me. I identify with Arlo's unshakable inferiority complex. Doubt I could sound this confident defending the movie if I were talking to you in person.

Kind of really looking forward to Star Wars right now. I know I'm starting to come off as a dick and I need something else to direct my film loving energy towards.

• Like 3

TGD is a film that people did not so much find bad as mediocre.

Yeah, it has some fervent fanboys,but what film does not have those?

It is a misfire for Pixar..and Variety todays thinks it might be the first actual flop for Pixar....the first Pixar film to actually lose money at the box office.

Hopefully it will be wake up call for Pixar.

14 hours ago, goldenstate5 said:

I had no problem with the movie being dark. It's the story, characters and the lackluster pacing that did it for me. 

The most interesting characters (the T-Rexes) are barely onscreen. Instead with have the irritating Arlo and cutesy Spot. Ugh.

This. It just does not have that Pixar touch. It's not terrible, it is just that it could have turned out my any animated film studio. For Pixar, that is along way from good enough.

22 hours ago, tribefan695 said:

We could go without bashing Inside Out to get the backlash peddlers of that movie on your side. Discuss the movie on its own merits.

1 minute ago, goldenstate5 said:

Also the failure of TGD means that "cult classic" status could be in its future. It's already gearing up for Tomorrowland. People love latching onto something that everybody else "didn't get".

If Tomorrowland becomes a cult classic then I can be that one guy that says "I liked Tomorrowland before it was cool!"

I saw it opening day and thought it was great, no apologies.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, goldenstate5 said:

Also the failure of TGD means that "cult classic" status could be in its future. It's already gearing up for Tomorrowland. People love latching onto something that everybody else "didn't get".

Everytime a movie flops someone says it will be a "cult classic". Once in a great while, it actually happens,

Every film that flops is going to have a few fans. But very few flops actually gain enough followers to reach "cult" status. Most are just remembered as being huge flops.

I haven't seen Tomorrowland but I know I was just as if not more obnoxiously hyped for John Carter than this, and though I still mostly enjoyed that movie I could completely understand why others hated it. Not so much the case here.

Being in an ongoing and still otherwise popular franchise like Pixar will pretty much ensure this continues to be periodically reevaluated. And when they do eventually make another truly bad film I'm sure that will jump start appreciation for this.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, dudalb said:

Everytime a movie flops someone says it will be a "cult classic". Once in a great while, it actually happens,

Every film that flops is going to have a few fans. But very few flops actually gain enough followers to reach "cult" status. Most are just remembered as being huge flops.

Tomorrowland is just absolutely destined for it. I have no doubts that it will be our generation's TRON. (i.e. something boring and phenomenally overrated, a flop in its time, but bewilderingly praised in the future purely out of nostalgia)