AniNate

The Good Dinosaur | Peter Sohn | BR/DVD release 2-23-2016 | Pixar's first BO flop

14 minutes ago, DAJK said:

Now just watch something like Home or Minions get a BAF nom instead of this.

GKIDS has like three contenders. One's pretty rough but has famous people backing it (The Prophet), one's solid wistful Ghibli (Marnie), and one's a legit masterpiece (Boy and the World). We'll be fine. 

I don't usually take commerciality into account when discussing how I feel about a film, but I'm damn glad audiences are ignoring this one. What a POS.

Edited by Gopher
  • Like 1

You know how you are whenever I say how much I don't like Ratatouille? Well, that's how I'm going to be with this [emoji14]

Though I wouldn't mind Boy and the World getting some attention. It delivers its message with a sledgehammer but it's still a very well made film

3 hours ago, Spidey Freak said:

That was Damienroc's theory actually. I had pointed out that while that could be a valid reason for BH6 winning, it didn't explain why Lego was snubbed from the nominations altogether. Just a year earlier, MU was snubbed from the noms too, and in that year, it was generally considered to be the most technically superior animated movie. So that flies against the face of that hypothesis. I'm more in the camp of "Academy elitism being the reason for Lego's snub".

Regarding TGD, I wouldn't be surprised if it is just 3 noms this year or if it gets snubbed for The Boy and the World and Shaun the Sheep. I've always maintained that both Pixar movies getting BAF noms was an uphill battle and now the Academy has two good excuses to snub TGD. Of course, I may still be wrong. :D 

You're a bit off on my theory, I think.

The nominations tend to favor the technical side of animation. So films that display a lot of technical innovation will get there. They like stop motion a LOT, and hand-drawn animation quite a bit. For CGI, it needs to be really impressive. (Pixar usually is, there.) LEGO's technical side was mostly lacking, compared to the other nominees.

(You're right that MU's snub is an outlier. But this is a pattern analysis, not an absolute algorithm.)

WINNING the award, on the other hand, pretty much boils down to popularity. Whatever nominee grossed the most in the US? Probably going to take home the prize. BH6 didn't win because of Hyperion, it won because more people saw it. Had LEGO gotten a nomination, it was pretty much guaranteed a win.

So, TGD could get a nomination based on the technology. However, we are in an unprecedented situation. Pixar's got two films. If there's only three nominees, it's doubtful (though not impossible) that both could get in. If it's only one, I'd be VERY surprised if TGD gets in over IO.

Regardless, it's pretty much foregone that IO is going to win. It's probably the most guaranteed of any winner since TS3.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, damienroc said:

You're a bit off on my theory, I think.

The nominations tend to favor the technical side of animation. So films that display a lot of technical innovation will get there. They like stop motion a LOT, and hand-drawn animation quite a bit. For CGI, it needs to be really impressive. (Pixar usually is, there.) LEGO's technical side was mostly lacking, compared to the other nominees.

(You're right that MU's snub is an outlier. But this is a pattern analysis, not an absolute algorithm.)

WINNING the award, on the other hand, pretty much boils down to popularity. Whatever nominee grossed the most in the US? Probably going to take home the prize. BH6 didn't win because of Hyperion, it won because more people saw it. Had LEGO gotten a nomination, it was pretty much guaranteed a win.

So, TGD could get a nomination based on the technology. However, we are in an unprecedented situation. Pixar's got two films. If there's only three nominees, it's doubtful (though not impossible) that both could get in. If it's only one, I'd be VERY surprised if TGD gets in over IO.

The BAF nominations tend to tick certain boxes, 1 stop motion, 1 hand-drawn, 1 foreign etc. provided movies of sufficient quality that satisfy each of those boxes exist in any given year. While yes, they are looking for technical innovation, they also tend to heavily favor diversity in the mediums and techniques used as well as the production houses that create the movies while compiling the nominees. Which is the reason I was highly sceptical of two CGI movies from the same studio getting nods in the same year. The fact that TGD received a lukewarm critical reception and is giving a disappointing BO performance makes things only more difficult in its case. 

The MU snub is a pretty big exception to dismiss, even if the selection process isn't a rigid algorithm. Especially since it was the last Pixar movie before this year, making it very relevant to a discussion about TGD's chances at a nomination. At least to me, that shows the nominations tend to favor diversity in mediums, techniques and in the particular case of the 2014 nominations, studio diversity among the nominations, rather than simply "technical quality" as an objective unit of gauging a movie's worth. Speaking of which, that just underlines the silliness of the BAF category in the first place. Unless a movie is using indisputable groundbreaking technology, how do you compare the technicality of a stopmotion picture to a hand drawn feature and a CGI film? But that's a discussion for another topic altogether.

Edited by Spidey Freak
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, goldenstate5 said:

It blows my mind that anybody would think IO won't win BFA. It's almost a lock as a BP nominee as well.

I agree that it would take a major upset for IO to lose BAF now. But BP nom almost a lock? Nope. The BP nomination qualifiers have changed since Up and TS3 received their nods, making it harder for a "commercial" movie to get a nom. And unless they cancel each other's chances, either one or both of The Martian and Fury Road are much more likely candidates to receive the nom for the commercial movie over IO

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Infernus said:

With Joy out of contention, its chances have just increased a lot. All 3 spots after BoS are pretty much wide open right now.

I don't know about a lot. Those 3 movies between Joy and IO are pretty big competitors. And bear in mind that often the Academy nominates just 7-8 movies in total for BP. If all of those films are battling it out just for one slot (or none if just the Top 7 are chosen) then IO's chances still remain marginal at best.

16 hours ago, Infernus said:

With Joy out of contention, its chances have just increased a lot. All 3 spots after BoS are pretty much wide open right now.

Quite frankly,  nothing seems locked outside of Spotlight, The Revenant, Carol, and I guess The Martian. Could be all kinds of shake ups by the time noms happen. 

Edited by MovieMan89

OK...so i finally watched it yesterday...theatre was around 30% full...mostly families..

coming to the movie...i can now see why it is underperforming....all dino designs were pretty meh...wtf were they thinking..arlo bored the hell out of me...spot was OK...

im surprised that they went dark with few scenes....only the last scene managed to get evoke some emotion in me...

least funny pixar movie ..cant believe i waited 2 yrs for this...

overall.."The Boring dinosaur" deserves its BO fate...this is coming from an ardent PIXAR fan...