AniNate

The Good Dinosaur | Peter Sohn | BR/DVD release 2-23-2016 | Pixar's first BO flop

This is definitely a bank year for Pixar. Two money-making hits (as per tracking), one at least declared by the zeitgeist as an "instant classic", and that dinosaur merch will be tossed around.

If the summer was a power struggle between Universal and Disney which Uni ultimately won more points on, then the fall is definitely Disney running towards the endzone and going all the way...

1 hour ago, goldenstate5 said:

A lion's share of TFA, Captain America 2, Zootopia, Alice 2, Finding Dory, BFG, Pete's Dragon, Doctor Strange, Moana, a good share of Rogue One.

Dragon will probably tank but not on the level of Tomorrowland. Disney better open up multiple Scrooge McDuck vaults for 2016.

2017 will be even crazier. 

On 2015. 11. 09., MovieMan89 said:

Um WOM would have to be horrid for it to pull a 110m+ 5 day and miss 300 over the Holidays. This is animation released during the Holidays we're talking about, legs are always good. I agree 400 still wouldn't be certain, only because of SW, but keep in mind that is PG-13 and TGD will still likely be a big pick for parents with kids under 8. 

But it won't open 110M 5 day, so 300M total would be great.

Now this is going to be a fascinating RT watch. I'm putting my guess at 90 to 95%. The inevitable (unfair) comparisons to Inside Out will surely drive some critics to feel underwhelmed.

If Variety, The Wrap or THR gives a rotten review right off the bat then man this thread is gonna go bonkers. With Shay. Which makes me pray that a buttload of critics have already seen it so we don't have to listen to insanity for a week straight.

• Like 1

And that clip, pretty good until the "DANNNGGG" part. Obviously is a toned-downed "DAAAAAMMMMNN" quote but it's always cringeworthy when kids movie have to "censor" themselves. ("Lego Movie" got good mileage out of the idea though)

One of the Madagascar movies had the gall to "homage" the famous Planet of the Apes line with "darn you! darn you all to heck!" without a trace of irony and I just about wanted to slap the writers for letting something that lame be inserted.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, tribefan695 said:

They've been milking that "dang" to death in the ads so I'm pretty used to it at this point. Though it is amusing to think that was the part of the clip that might've given Disney execs pause

This is one of those reasons why I'm so glad I don't watch live TV with commercials anymore. That sounds late 90s Disney rennassiance level of dumb TV marketing ploys. Let me guess: something epic happens, cut to T-Rexes going "DANNNNGGG!" 

Sigh

Something like that, yeah.

I said it before but I'm now wondering if it's more intended for the jock adult audience than the kids. Early advertising for this on the Disney Channel was very in line with the tone of the trailers. Only now that they've branched out have they gone with a "broader" approach

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/review/good-dinosaur-film-review-840011

http://variety.com/2015/film/reviews/the-good-dinosaur-review-1201639759/

http://www.thewrap.com/the-good-dinosaur-review-pixars-prehistoric-tale-improves-as-it-evolves/

http://www.screendaily.com/reviews/the-good-dinosaur-review/5096838.article?blocktitle=REVIEWS&contentID=40296

Well, they all should go down as fresh, but I guess you can pretty much give the critics choice to Inside Out right about now. I hope the movie's familiarity won't be a turnoff for others

Edited by tribefan695
  • Like 3