sfran43

Tuesday Numbers 1/22: Glass $3.81M

15 minutes ago

While inflation gave way to a record-breaking $11.8B at the domestic box office, admissions tells the real story--aka the reel story--with 1.3B tickets sold, it was the 4th lowest in the last 23 years. Remember, 2017 w/ 1.23B sold, was the lowest admissions in 25+ years.

8 minutes ago, terrestrial said:

15 minutes ago

While inflation gave way to a record-breaking $11.8B at the domestic box office, admissions tells the real story--aka the reel story--with 1.3B tickets sold, it was the 4th lowest in the last 23 years. Remember, 2017 w/ 1.23B sold, was the lowest admissions in 25+ years.

Depressing, but I can see it. Pretty much all my friends sing the same chorus: "I hate the theatre! I hate the people and having to turn off my phone and plus, why would I go to the theatre when I can rent it or watch it on Netflix??". Ugh, fuck people. They're going to be the death of one of the things I love most in this world: the cinema.

Edited by JB33
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, JB33 said:

Depressing, but I can see it. Pretty much all my friends sing the same chorus: "I hate the theatre! I hate the people and having to turn off my phone and plus, why would I go to the theatre when I can rent it or watch it on Netflix??". Ugh, fuck people. They're going to be the death of one of the things I love most in this world: the cinema.

Sadly both years (2017 + 2018) had ticket numbers included, that were based on e.g. go fund me and similar actions for children that probably wouldn't haven't the chance to watch a movie in a cinema. Without those the numbers would be even worse.

38 minutes ago, JB33 said:

I think it's the theater experience, but also the seemingly ever-shrinking window between theatrical release date and home video release date.  There's plenty of movies that I think look interesting, but before you can blink they're already at Redbox. 

Unless it's some big spectacle or a truly exceptional work or must-have-right-now experience, I think most people just think, why not just wait?  

Edited by MyMovieCanBeatUpYourMovie
  • Like 1