PatrickvD

The Pixar Club

I think it didn't look good on Pixar to have those directors leave so quickly so maybe they thought Chapman's departure should be delayed a bit.

Wow, don't want to give them any inch, huh? :lol: Could also be possible that Chapman really does want to stay there.Anyway, now BBC is reporting on the sequel and claiming the confirmation comes straight from Andrew Stanton, with no references to THR or Deadline. So this better be true or else I won't be able to trust any news organization ever again. Edited by tribefan695

I don't know but it can't be to good for the ego to be pulled aside from something that was yours to begin with. Anyone with a bit of pride, would say I'm out of here. I think Pixar has her by the short and curlies so they told her, you want your release (severance) then you'll have wait.I've been around the block buddy so I know how things work in big organisations.

I don't know what to believe, honestly. If she was under such a strict gag order I don't understand why she'd be allowed to so prominently broadcast her thoughts to the world on a daily basis for the past nine months. I just have a feeling the whole affair has been really overblown by everyone.

Edited by tribefan695

It is standard procedure for employers/employees to play nice in this kind of situation, if they want things to end in good standing. I think in the film business, it's important not to burn bridges simply because you never know where and who you'll wind up working again with in the future.

I know Ratatouille came out before Twitter was a big thing, but somehow I doubt Jan Pinkava would've been as willing to put it behind him as Brenda Chapman seems to. He went dead silent after that TIME interview and I don't think he helped promote the film at all.Chapman's doing a little more than "not burning bridges". She didn't have to start a Twitter feed or even make it known to the world that she was behind it.

Edited by tribefan695

I don't claim to know what happened or what is happening but I'm assuming Chapman is still under contract with Pixar, so Pixar calls all the shots here. Her options are to put aside this bad experience and hope that it works out better next time or ride the bench and run out her contract or maybe play along and do as she's told and hope to get an early out or lastly, just leave and forfeit her severance. It is rare that someone gives up on their severance so I'm guessing that won't be the option she takes.

I'm thinking if this is going "political" with the climate change kills coral reefs thing.

Good idea but the word "political" will scary/create tensions here.Like in any forum...Nemo prisoner in oil catastrophy?Nemo helping weak fishes because of their "food" contamination?

Ok, this is what I feared would happen after Disney purchased Pixar - more sequels and greater frequency of movies. Finding Nemo 2 and Monsters University might be great movies but this trend still scares me.

me too!

Too many "assured" good things.

Like...you liked this chocolate cake? Then let's make it/eat again!

Ad nauseum?

i like superheroes sequels but Pixar was, for me, in a magical bubble where art & business matched perfectly like 2 brothers. The first seemed to have the priority but the second enjoyed the party too.

Now, it's really the golden moose story. Do it, Disney, do it until exhausting/breaking/sucking the fresh breath from/killing it.

:angry:

Disney is a corporation, owned by shareholders. Disney executives know that shareholders want profit every quarter. The execs get bonuses and shareholders get dividends. You can't tell me that Lassetter isn't feeling the pressure. There is nothing wrong with profit, bonuses, and dividends but a profit driven culture (DIS - The Walt Disney Company (NYSE)) and artistic excellent (Pixar) are uncomfortable bedfellows.

Shareholders: go to hell! Sorry to sound simpleminded on this but really, that's what anger me in this businessphilosophy.

They are already full of money.

Gone are the days when Pixar could go a year without releasing a movie.

In fact, frequency is less a problem, to me, than sequels to perfect one-movie case. This Nemo2 sounds wrong.

At worst, i would prefer another movie set in the sea but without Nemo. Oceans are big enough to not meet him again, right?

:angry:

I understand!

• Like 1

I don't really see a whole lot of benefit in an extra year gap in itself, because the first movie that came out after that 2-year gap was considered Pixar's weakest up to that point. If they came out after a two year break with a film that didn't meet expectations I think the disappointment would be magnified.They've got so many people working there now and so many ideas floating around and I want as many as possible to see the light of day. Ultimately it usually comes down to some ideas clicking with the audience and some not. I don't think Cars 2 could've been improved much from another year of brainstorming because the central conceit was the main problem.

Edited by tribefan695

I saw Up all the way through for the first time. What a fantastic movie. The ending where we see that the house settled down at the spot which Carl and Ellie dreamed about almost brought me to tears.

I cried three times during that film. Beginning, when Carl goes through Ellie's book, and the ending. <3I cried five times during Brave, and twice during TS3.