PatrickvD

The Pixar Club

I don't really see a whole lot of benefit in an extra year gap in itself, because the first movie that came out after that 2-year gap was considered Pixar's weakest up to that point. If they came out after a two year break with a film that didn't meet expectations I think the disappointment would be magnified.They've got so many people working there now and so many ideas floating around and I want as many as possible to see the light of day. Ultimately it usually comes down to some ideas clicking with the audience and some not. I don't think Cars 2 could've been improved much from another year of brainstorming because the central conceit was the main problem.

Which brings up the problem of starting certain sequel project in the first place. I'm sure Stanton and crew can come up with a fantastic concept for Finding Nemo 2....but it doesn't mean they should do it. Some properties should be left alone.

After three straight originals I was kind of prepared for the next announced movie to be a franchise picture. True, I didn't expect it would be Finding Nemo, but at least it's something more interesting than Cars or Toy Story.

Edited by tribefan695

When I think how limited the ideas of the actually produced movies are. (how many remakes), one could think the creativity of filmmakers is very limited. But probably it is not, only hindered by what others think feasable in the market place. Has anyone of you heard an interview, where somebody explained what the decision makers dropped?

Melodramatic much?

Sounds like me last year.You saw these kinds of reactions coming though. Unthinkable a decade ago, now not surprising.It's just a different reality now. I'm glad they're giving us 3 originals in a row and I'm relieved that if they were sequelizing FN that Stanton's back at the helm. I'm glad Brave didn't end up rotten and crossed $200m. Obviously my expectations have been lowered.

Melodramatic much?

What this guy is saying isn't far off from what you were saying not long ago. I remember when DWA was putting out three sequels in a row you saying DWA was going to be bitch slapped for allowing this to happen.Personally, I don't have any issues with sequels because it's just part of the way Hollywood operates and to some extent what the people want, so why not give it to them. I can't imagine DIsney/Marvel not making TA2 and frankly it surprises me that we haven't heard TI2 is not happening yet.

...and frankly it surprises me that we haven't heard TI2 is not happening yet.

This gives me some comfort actually. Tells me that at the very least, they're sticking with the principle of "No Sequels without the Blessing of the Original Director." If Brad Bird is going to be stuck doing live action for a while, as much as I'd love to see it, I'd rather TI2 not happen under anybody else's watch.

What this guy is saying isn't far off from what you were saying not long ago. I remember when DWA was putting out three sequels in a row you saying DWA was going to be bitch slapped for allowing this to happen.

Well, up until Madagascar 3 they were. PiB and KFP2 disappointed at the box office and with the utterly unappealing trailer for Madagascar 3 and the general throwaway nature of that franchise, there wasn't much of a reason to expect differently there.I'm not sure that's exactly the same thing as what this guy is saying here, though. He's claiming Pixar's best days are completely behind him. I knew Dreamworks had a substantial string of originals lined up after these franchise pictures, I just figured that particular line of sequels would suffer. Edited by tribefan695

Well, up until Madagascar 3 they were. PiB and KFP2 disappointed at the box office and with the utterly unappealing trailer for Madagascar 3 and the general throwaway nature of that franchise, there wasn't much of a reason to expect differently there.I'm not sure that's exactly the same thing as what this guy is saying here, though. He's claiming Pixar's best days are completely behind him. I knew Dreamworks had a substantial string of originals lined up after these franchise pictures, I just figured that particular line of sequels would suffer.

You never know exactly what clicks and doesn't with viewers. What baffles me was KFP2 results but we now know 2011 was an off year for animation. It just goes to show that we shouldn't be so quick to jump to conclusion.