PatrickvD

The Pixar Club

Yeah, it is inevitable. I just pray it somehow manages to live up to the quality of 2 and 3, but that's such a tall order. And 3 was such a perfect cap to the franchise, I don't know how 4 won't feel unnecessary and cash grab-ish.

You mean like Cars 2, Finding Dory, and Monsters U?

• Like 1

I wouldn't go as far as absurd but I agree that fans weren't necessarily clamoring for a FN sequel. 

Fancy and filmscholar - do you blame Disney for the rash of sequels and 3D re-release gimmicks (something I predicted would happen when they bought Pixar years ago)?

Yes to an extent. Disney seems to have more influence on the company than ever before. 

• Like 1

Speaking of cancellations, Ed Catmull has things to say about Newt

http://www.fastcompany.com/3027549/lessons-learned/pixars-ed-catmull-on-how-to-balance-art-and-commerce

Newt was another unlikely idea that wasn't working. When we gave it to somebody new [Pete Docter, director of Up], he said, "I'll do it, but I have another idea altogether, which I think is better." And we thought it was better too [Docter's concept was the basis of Inside Out, which he is directing for a 2015 release]. That was the reason we didn't continue with Newt.

So it seems Newt got the axe in favor of Inside Out

Edited by tribefan695
  • Like 4

So is the Good Dinosaur going to be released or not?Still nothing out of it whereas Inside Out is everywhere.

Yes, it is going to be released Nov. 25, 2015. Edited by Empire
  • Like 1

Ratatouille is still my favourite Pixar movie.

It's been a long time since we had the anticipation of each Pixar release being better than the one before and having massive streaks of fresh tomatoes on RT.

4 years since TS3...

• Like 5

Ratatouille is still my favourite Pixar movie.

It's been a long time since we had the anticipation of each Pixar release being better than the one before and having massive streaks of fresh tomatoes on RT.

4 years since TS3...

One of my favorites as well. Along with the Incredibles.  :wub:

• Like 1

Yeah, I totally miss that. And the first teaser for each movie debuting on the previous one.

Yeah! Haha I feel old.

That was a nice tradition. Why did they get rid of that too...the golden era ended and now they are finding their footing. Hopefully Inside Out is back on track because in the last few years, I feel other studios movies have outdone them in animation, storytelling, ambition, creativity etc.

• Like 1

I believe that Cars 2 was the first film since Finding Nemo not to be teased before the previous Pixar movie. I believe Tangled was in a story reworking crunch, which is why it didn't get a teaser until Toy Story 3 (first time Disney/Pixar cross-pollinated their teasers). Cars 2 was teased on Tangled, then Brave on Cars 2. MU was teased on Brave. A similar retooling crunch for Frozen probably prevented Disney from putting a teaser on Wreck-It Ralph, and with TGD already having development issues behind the scenes, it was Frozen that got teased on MU.I presume the cross-pollination will continue - I expect Inside Out to be teased on BH6, then it will probably be Pixar-to-Pixar progression for the next two, then the fall 2016 WDAS film (Zootopia?) on Finding Dory?All moot, because they REALLY debut online a couple days in advance...

Edited by TServo2049
  • Like 1

OK, so the only uninterrupted streak of teasers was The Incredibles on Finding Nemo -> Cars on The Incredibles -> Ratatouille on Cars -> WALL-E on Ratatouille.The whole Pixar presentation was so great. Teaser for next movie, then short, then film. It was an experience, and I hope Inside Out recaptures some of that.

Edited by TServo2049
  • Like 1

Speaking of cross-pollination - has that happened IN a Pixar movie?  I can't recall any easter eggs in the Toy Storys for instance where a toy in the background belonged to another movie.  I would be surprised if that hasn't happened.

• Like 1

Speaking of cross-pollination - has that happened IN a Pixar movie? I can't recall any easter eggs in the Toy Storys for instance where a toy in the background belonged to another movie. I would be surprised if that hasn't happened.

Many times. The Pizza Planet truck shows up somewhere in almost every Pixar movie (even as a carving in the witch's hut in Brave!) Same with the ball from Luxo Jr.Two of Boo's toys are Jessie and Nemo (which was a tease to Finding Nemo). Rex and Hamm are in WALL-E's collection. The witch in Brave also has a Sulley carving. Dinoco logos show up in Cars. Heimlich shows up in Toy Story 2. Bomb Voyage is a mime in Ratatouille. When Carl flies past the little girl's window in Up, you can see Lotso Huggin Bear in the corner.Pixar loves that stuff. Edited by TServo2049
  • Like 3

Many times. The Pizza Planet truck shows up somewhere in almost every Pixar movie (even as a carving in the witch's hut in Brave!) Same with the ball from Luxo Jr.Two of Boo's toys are Jessie and Nemo (which was a tease to Finding Nemo). Rex and Hamm are in WALL-E's collection. The witch in Brave also has a Sulley carving. Dinoco logos show up in Cars. Heimlich shows up in Toy Story 2. Bomb Voyage is a mime in Ratatouille. When Carl flies past the little girl's window in Up, you can see Lotso Huggin Bear in the corner.Pixar loves that stuff.

This post was a delight to read!  I love Easter eggs!!

Thank you

• Like 2