Grade it  

16 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it

2 hours ago, HenryK81 said:

It was a pretty darn good enjoyable movie. Idk what anybody else thinks, but I really liked it. Dumbo is so, so, so lovable. I fell in love with the character.

I really like most of it. It is a pure family film in the same way that Pete's Dragon was. 

There were a couple of really stupid moments though that kind of ruined small parts of the film, but outside of that, I liked it. Everything inspired from the animation was especially well done. I especially enjoyed the way they worked in the pink elephants and I was not expecting to like that bit at all. 

Keaten was sadly a bit rubbish in this though. 

The Pink Elephants sequence is a lot of fun and, strangely, one of the only moments in the second half when the movie remembered it was a Dumbo movie.

The movie is a mess. The script is ridiculous (even for a movie about a flying elephant) and Thandie Newton's daughter's character/performance was painful.

1 hour ago, ddddeeee said:

The Pink Elephants sequence is a lot of fun and, strangely, one of the only moments in the second half when the movie remembered it was a Dumbo movie.

The movie is a mess. The script is ridiculous (even for a movie about a flying elephant) and Thandie Newton's daughter's character/performance was painful.

A mess? Seemed pretty organized to me.

This was fine enough. It oddly feels like the safest of the Disney remakes so far even though it deviates the most from its original of all of them and adds a lot of padding being nearly twice its length. The humans are easily the weakest part even if Colin Farrell, Michael Keaton, Eva Green, etc. all make the various generic Disney story elements go down smoothly. This fares its best when it adheres to the original (loved the "Pink Elephants" homage). But the production values are great (not that we expect any less from Tim Burton), the score from frequent collaborator Danny Elfman enchants, and the title character himself is cute beyond words. I thought this was on par quality-wise with Burton's Charlie & the Chocolate Factory and Alice in Wonderland remakes: unlikely to leave lasting impressions like the originals have, but entertaining diversions nonetheless. B-

22 hours ago, HenryK81 said:

A mess? Seemed pretty organized to me.

Medici's trope and Colette decide and plan to save Dumbo and his mum (who was conveniently moved to Dreamland) after one of Vandevere's men decides to come and tell them that she's going to be killed. This plan involved Colette flying Dumbo to the control tower of the theme park.

Daft beyond belief.

I think the worst part of the movie was how Dumbo being reunited with his mum happened in the background - sums the movie up tbh.

4 hours ago, ddddeeee said:

Medici's trope and Colette decide and plan to save Dumbo and his mum (who was conveniently moved to Dreamland) after one of Vandevere's men decides to come and tell them that she's going to be killed. This plan involved Colette flying Dumbo to the control tower of the theme park.

Daft beyond belief.

I think the worst part of the movie was how Dumbo being reunited with his mum happened in the background - sums the movie up tbh.

I read the ending and it sounds like t shoulda be a real tearjerker. Does Burton really not deliver on that? That sucks 

18 minutes ago, John Marston said:

I read the ending and it sounds like t shoulda be a real tearjerker. Does Burton really not deliver on that? That sucks 

The ending itself is great, and Elfman's score really soars. The problem is that the movie doesn't build to it - Dumbo's relationship with his mum takes a backseat to all the human drama.

8 hours ago, ddddeeee said:

Daft beyond belief.

I see your point. The part where Dumbo's mom was conveniently placed in Dreamland was kinda' a product of lazy writing. Rumors are that Dumbo's release (along with a few other live action animation remakes) are made to add more content to their Disney+ streaming service. This is why they're releasing a few of them this year.

As Disney’s latest live action re-telling of one of their animated classics, Dumbo is an appreciably ambitious but also decidedly uneven affair. Any adaptation was going to have to stretch to push the original film’s 64-minute running time to something significantly longer, and Ehren Kruger’s script approaches this challenge by expanding the human presence in the narrative and adding an anti-corporation bent that feels ironic appearing in a Disney film. Unfortunately, there are so many narrative threads present for the human characters that none of their stories ever really take off – not even the struggle the main family has in adapting to the unseen mother’s death and the father’s return from war as an amputee. Their story gets shunted aside about halfway through the film when Michael Keaton’s sleazy businessman enters, and both of these plot threads relegate the title character’s emotional journey to the background for most of the running time. The film finds its greatest success in the impressively mounted circus scenes and a few very effective tender moments in which characters interact directly with Dumbo; the “Baby Mine” scene in which Dumbo interacts with his mother is especially powerful. Such moments carry the film to greater heights than its fuzzy and underdeveloped character-driven drama. As one would expect, the production values are as impressive as usual for a Tim Burton film – though it’s also Burton’s most anonymously directed film in some time. Burton also gets a very good, natural performance from child actress Nico Parker and some nice scenes from Colin Farrell and Eva Green. Michael Keaton gives what’s sure to be a divisive performance as the film’s scenery-chewing villain; for my money, the character is written poorly, but Keaton is having so much fun hamming it up that he’s never boring to watch. Dumbo does not soar nearly as high as its filmmakers intend because it has too many balls in the air, but it has enough qualities and moments that work to merit a slight, qualified recommendation.

B-

The first 1941 Dumbo is one of the royal gems of Disney's brilliant age. The inspiring story of a child elephant with gigantic floppy ears who's isolated from his mom and singled out until it's found that his ears can make him fly, Dumbo is as much an immortal pariah's story as Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer. Furthermore, as any individual who's seen Edward Scissorhands or Ed Wood knows, outcast's stories are Burton's meat and potatoes. In any case, this movie, notwithstanding some gorgeous sight thrives and a couple of scrumptiously expansive supporting exhibitions, Burton's Dumbo is extremely gushing and excessively protected. 

As a steadfast update of an appreciated great, the new Dumbo will take care of business for fretful children on a blustery Saturday evening. In any case, we've generally expected increasingly enchantment, more bizarro pixie dust from Burton. Possibly that is the reason the second marriage between the executive and Disney feels more like an uneasy corporate partnership than an association of aesthetic enthusiasm.

dumbo-disney.jpg