sfran43

Wednesday numbers: US $5.12M | CM $2.81M

38 minutes ago, Matthew said:

CM is going to have a big drop on Thursday. Probably only 2M. The Fandango sales for Thursday were record low. 

Could be

the next its not about uuuhhh its bad or good for CM, only to show there is more to comparing per days in release numbers then I read here from time to time =

Generally speaking:

CA Civil War had at its 21's day in release (May 26, 2016)  $2,076,849 and is with that #1 of the day. I am one of the ones who says legs not always only speak about quality, but also about if the mood in the movie, especially at the end, is not upbeat,... it will have less to way less repeat viewings. CA CW is one of those movies in my POV.

CM with ~ $2m (or even ~ double of that) will be #2

GotG 2 had ~ $2.4m at its 21's day in release, also on #2, but had at that weekend a rather steep up curve in the income in dom. #1 movie opened at said Thursday with $4.6m (not preview, atypical opening day) = weak competition (It was Baywatch), more room to recover.

I think the 3rd and 4th weekend often adds to impressions about the whys for the legs (incl competition).

Edited by terrestrial
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

Nice! 

$170m? They’ll definitely be hoping for over $45m then. 

Mar 28

Weekend Box Office Predictions for Mar. 29 - Mar. 31, 2019 1. - $50.0M 2. - $40.0M 3. - $20.5M

Disney's DUMBO--which carries a $170M price tag--drops in 4,259 big tops this weekend. Step right up, place your bets. $45M--over or under? 

BOM

• Dumbo (4,259 theaters) - $52.0 M
  • Us (3,743 theaters) - $40.0 M
  • Captain Marvel (3,985 theaters) - $20.4 M
  • Five Feet Apart (2,845 theaters) - $6.3 M
  • Wonder Park (3,304 theaters) - $4.7 M
  • How to Train Your Dragon: The Hidden World (2,783 theaters) - $4.3 M
  • The Beach Bum (1,015 theaters) - $3.2 M
  • Unplanned (1,059 theaters) - $3.0 M
  • Tyler Perry's A Madea Family Funeral (1,923 theaters) - $2.7 M
  • Hotel Mumbai (924 theaters) - $1.2 M

BOPro

March comes to a close this weekend as the heart of the spring box office slate approaches its zenith, fresh off the massive success of last weekend’s Us and the continued staying power of Captain Marvel. Will Disney christen a new month with another box office winning remake from its vault of classic animated movies?

Dumbo
Opening Weekend Range: $45 – 65 million

https://www.boxofficepro.com/weekend-forecast-will-dumbo-fly/

I've seen as deep as $40m too by not established accounts

Its a movie that will probably sell over decades and decades as HV too (as do many other Disney children movies)

Disney's budgets are partly head-scratchingly high..... see e.g. The Lone Ranger, John Carter,... for not established stories (John Carter... not a lot of the younger ones seem to know it, Lone Ranger is known to older ppl too, but not like 'This')

45 minutes ago, Thanos Legion said:

I doubt Thurs goes below 2.35. Will see when I wake up.

Personally that makes sense to me. Guess we'll see but I don't think using fandango numbers on the night of a Thursday release make any sense for a film 21 days into release. 

Just looking back at the buzz pre-tracking thread it's correlation is infact often near zero versus estimates positively and negatively even for presales. It's a good metric to compare but terrible to accurately forecast.

My original estimate was 2.5 which is 11% drop from yesterday. GOTG with a weaker Wednesday dropped less than 6%

• Like 1

Just now, cdsacken said:

GOTG with a weaker Wednesday dropped less than 6%

Not diagreeing, but cheap Tuesday was at that time less big as now, I think that difference influnces the nowadays drops of Wednesday to Thursday a little bit in comparison (as I think Tesday gets more and more audience usually planing to go from Monday, Wednesday and Thursdays to varying degrees, ignoring spill-overs,.. and new releases)

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, terrestrial said:

Not diagreeing, but cheap Tuesday was at that time less big as now, I think that difference influnces the nowadays drops of Wednesday to Thursday a little bit in comparison (as I think Tesday gets more and more audience usually planing to go from Monday, Wednesday and Thursdays to varying degrees, ignoring spill-overs,.. and new releases)

Oh for sure, I've haven't been in the states since end of 2016 so I have no personal experience for the discount rush on Tuesday but clearly it's a different beast now than it was 2 years ago.

Thing is if it drops 14.2% it's still ahead of GOTG 2 for Thursday :D

Edited by cdsacken
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, terrestrial said:

BOM

BOPro

https://www.boxofficepro.com/weekend-forecast-will-dumbo-fly/

I've seen as deep as $40m too by not established accounts

Its a movie that will probably sell over decades and decades as HV too (as do many other Disney children movies)

Disney's budgets are partly head-scratchingly high..... see e.g. The Lone Ranger, John Carter,... for not established stories (John Carter... not a lot of the younger ones seem to know it, Lone Ranger is known to older ppl too, but not like 'This')

Really optimistic for Dumbo :( 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, baumer said:

Captain Marvel is going to make over a billion dollars. Nobody can be disappointed with the box office of this film.

Absolutedly

Personaly I'd have been happy with ww lets say $700m as well

But as it looks like it will be #7 in the MCU charts for both dom and ww

and #2 of all CBMs for first appearances intro movies, with #1 also a possibility (see Spider-Man $403.7m) in dom,

and it is already on #1 for that ww

:stretcher:

I am ecstatic for its BO even if Disney would pull it today.

• Like 1