sfran43

Wednesday numbers: US $5.12M | CM $2.81M

I mean I have underestimated all the way till end of week 1 so maybe but a multiplier than big with Pet Sematary, Shazam, Dumbo, and then the monster of End Game.....I think not.

Still doing 200+ with all of this stuff coming out is incredible and deserves massive praise.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Rebeccas said:

Honestly, doesn't feel like America is in the right mood for a story about a black woman becoming friends with a KKK member.

such poor timing too.

"Hey i know all those crazy wing nuts, white supremists including one that just shot up people in new zealand, but here is a movie about someone making friends with one of them"

Edited by ScoobyDoo21

27 minutes ago, Rebeccas said:

Honestly, doesn't feel like America is in the right mood for a story about a black woman becoming friends with a KKK member.

I'm just surprised to see Sam Rockwell playing another racist so soon after Three Billboards. Although apparently it was shot in the summer of 2017 a few months before that movie was released and Charlottesville.

Edited by filmlover

16 minutes ago, terrestrial said:

Disney's DUMBO--which carries a $170M price tag--drops in 4,259 big tops this weekend. Step right up, place your bets. $45M--over or under?

Damn, that's a $20M drop from the opening Monday "sure bet flies in" tracking figure...and they want folks to go under?  I was predicting the 40s this week, but to go under 40, even I would have been surprised Monday to see it possibly go there (although the presales at my theater tonight might be indicative that it could go there)...of course, if it does, those folks that said on Sunday/Monday that tracking is never this far off to the downside would see that sometimes, tracking is this far off to the downside:)...

Edited by TwoMisfits
  • Like 1

DC's SHAZAM! strikes 4,100+ theaters next weekend and should power up around $55M, having already banked $3.3M in previews. Reportedly, the film cost under $100M, which is already a huge win by superhero standards these days.

Sometimes dead is better...except for Stephen King horror reboots. 30 years ago, Paramount's PET SEMATARY opened with $12M ($27M adjusted for inflation). The reboot rises in 3,400+ theaters next weekend and may walk away with a $30M+ debut.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

Damn, that's a $20M drop from the opening Monday "sure bet flies in" tracking figure...and they want folks to go under?  I was predicting the 40s this week, but to go under 40, even I would have been surprised Monday to see it possibly go there (although the presales at my theater tonight might be indicative that it could go there)...of course, if it does, those folks that said on Sunday/Monday that tracking is never this far off to the downside would see that sometimes, tracking is this far off to the downside:)...

Dumbo doesn't seem like the kind of movie that would be presale heavy.

BOM

https://www.boxofficemojo.com/news/?id=4498&p=.htm

• Dumbo (4,259 theaters) - $52.0 M
  • Us (3,743 theaters) - $40.0 M
  • Captain Marvel (3,985 theaters) - $20.4 M
  • Five Feet Apart (2,845 theaters) - $6.3 M
  • Wonder Park (3,304 theaters) - $4.7 M
  • How to Train Your Dragon: The Hidden World (2,783 theaters) - $4.3 M
  • The Beach Bum (1,015 theaters) - $3.2 M
  • Unplanned (1,059 theaters) - $3.0 M
  • Tyler Perry's A Madea Family Funeral (1,923 theaters) - $2.7 M
  • Hotel Mumbai (924 theaters) - $1.2 M