CJohn

Fantastic Beasts: The Secrets of Dumbledore | April 15, 2022 | Final Trailer on Page 75

33 minutes ago, Noctis said:

It was Rowling's idea...you can tell. But who was WB to question her at the time?

IIRC WB approached her about a Fantastic Beasts movie starring Newt, Rowling said she had something better and I gues it was tying Newt into Dumbledore/Grindelwald's conflict. I think the firt film played well enough, COG was all over the place and we'll see how SOD goes. 

6 minutes ago, Noctis said:

At the very least, all reactions point to it being a huge improvement on Crimes. 

Also some of the early reactions point out it actually has a deeper theme than just plot mechanics, which was either missing or buried in CoG. 

• Like 2

Crimes of Grindelwald, I will say, always had the most interesting ideas of any of the WW films but was so haphazardly and schizophrenically stitched together that it ended up muddling so many great ideas that had so much potential (Queenie, etc). 

There is much to love about Crimes, but I would have given it a VERY bad rating if it were not for Leta. She saved the film for me. But overall, it's the weakest WW film for sure. Without a doubt. 

There's a beautiful scene where Queenie looks for Jacob in the rain, and it is just so damn beautiful. 

Edited by Noctis

4 minutes ago, Noctis said:

Crimes of Grindelwald, I will say, always had the most interesting ideas of any of the WW films but was so haphazardly and schizophrenically stitched together that it ended up muddling so many great ideas that had so much potential (Queenie, etc). 

Yeah, that's true. Good ideas, but muddled storytelling and I'm not sure it had an overarching theme that unified all the subplots. I mean, that's probably why it's so difficult to explain what the movie is about shortly to anyone who hasn't seen it. 

Edited by TheBigYawn

6 minutes ago, TheBigYawn said:

Yeah, that's true. Good ideas, but muddled storytelling and I'm not sure it had an overarching theme that unified all the subplots. I mean, that's probably why it's so difficult to explain what the movie is about shortly to anyone who hasn't seen it. 

It's about the crimes of Grindelwald.

Yeah, it's a difficult film to describe for sure. Crimes, strangely, is actually a film about Leta Lestrange. The best character who got killed in the end lol.

• Like 1

Crimes of Grindelwald fell apart because of one main reason: The god-awful script. Visually, its nice to look at, the music is very good, the actors are not bad whatsoever ... but if the dialogue and storytelling core of the film is broken, the film as a whole is. But why was the script so bad? I believe because of Rowling. She wrote the film like a book - and that is always a very very bad idea since books and movies are a totally different medium. 

Which is why im not too surprised that this movie here seems to get a much better response since Steve Kloves came back to write the script. The Harry Potter main film series was as good as it was to a huge part because of Kloves managing to transform the story of the books (aka Rowlings vision) into a functional movie script. Here, he seemed to have done just exactly that again.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Noctis said:

Crimes, strangely, is actually a film about Leta Lestrange. The best character who got killed in the end lol.

Yeah she does get a redemption arc of sorts, but then you have another character hunting down Credence to avenge his father, Newt deciding to pick a side, Nagini coming to terms with her blood curse (off screen), Queenie's journey for equal marriage rights for muggles to marry wizards and so many other stories packed in there. Allow me to remedy my own statement: Crimes does have a lot of themes, but they don't tie together elegantly at all into one overarching theme that the audience can sense that, "ah so that's what it really is about."

Edited by TheBigYawn
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, TheBigYawn said:

Yeah she does get a redemption arc of sorts, but then you have another character hunting down Credence for avenge, Newt deciding to pick a side, Nagini coming to terms with her blood curse (off screen), Queenie's journey for equal marriage rights for muggles to marry wizards and so many other stories packed in there. Allow me to remedy my own statement: Crimes does have a lot of themes, but they don't tie together elegantly at all into one overarching theme that the audience can sense that, "ah so that's what it really is about."

I honestly think Crimes would have been really great if Kloves had been involved as a screen writer from the beginning.

• Like 2