CJohn

Fantastic Beasts: The Secrets of Dumbledore | April 15, 2022 | Final Trailer on Page 75

Everyone is saying it's better than 2, but that doesn't automatically mean they liked it. It can very well go from 1/5 to 2/5, considering just how dreadful they find Crimes. Not as negative, but their rotten review would have just as much of an impact as a rotten Crimes review.

26 minutes ago, Lucas said:

Everyone is saying it's better than 2, but that doesn't automatically mean they liked it. It can very well go from 1/5 to 2/5, considering just how dreadful they find Crimes. Not as negative, but their rotten review would have just as much of an impact as a rotten Crimes review.

Crimes had a 5.3 average rating, which is not indicative of many 1/5 ratings, Lucas...

But even that should signify that if 36% of people gave Crimes a fresh rating on RT, then the reactions (so far) should point to something at least 60%. We'll see in the coming days. 

Let's not forget that Crimes was not some Morbius or Transformers film in critical reception. 

• Like 1

It wasn't at the time, but I'd be curious to hear how many who really liked it at the time speak fondly about it now. I will bet money on there being critics who gave Crimes a pass at the time will now give Secrets a negative review while still saying it's an improvement. Rendy Jones describes Crimes as an OOF, but he still rated it "44%" at the time. We know about circa 20 RT approved critics so far, and about 7-9 of them are for sure to be negative, and very few of the positives seem overly enthused. That's not a great sign for a film that's gonna end up fresh when the rest of them pile on, RT trends downwards 90% of the time.

4 minutes ago, Lucas said:

It wasn't at the time, but I'd be curious to hear how many who really liked it at the time speak fondly about it now. I will bet money on there being critics who gave Crimes a pass at the time will now give Secrets a negative review while still saying it's an improvement. Rendy Jones describes Crimes as an OOF, but he still rated it "44%" at the time. We know about circa 20 RT approved critics so far, and about 7-9 of them are for sure to be negative, and very few of the positives seem overly enthused. That's not a great sign for a film that's gonna end up fresh when the rest of them pile on, RT trends downwards 90% of the time.

I did not see any outright negative reviews...like at all. They all read lukewarm at worst.

We'll see how it does. We should be getting more reactions the next two days.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Noctis said:

I did not see any outright negative reviews...like at all. They all read lukewarm at worst.

We'll see how it does. We should be getting more reactions the next two days.

Lukewarm isn't gonna translate to a bunch of positive reviews, it very rarely does.

Jacob being good and a few fun moments with Newt isn't gonna turn this into a fresh tomato.

13 minutes ago, Noctis said:

Let the melodramatic hysteria begin.

That's not hysteria!

We all know the majority of movies have good inicial reactions, but RT is not that easy.. I definitely don't think 7 or 9 pottential rotten degress are a good sign 

But as a fan, I'm happy with reactions from some guys that I follow.. some of them who didn't like crimes..

I think I will like that one a lot

As about the critics.. well, after some reactions I started to fell more confident, but before I didn't see any possibility of this movie being fresh..

So, not different from what I expected

A 60 something on rotten tomatoes is pretty much a lukewarm rating. The thing is, it's not that hard to get above a 60%, the recent Death on the Nile movie has a 63% with an average critic rating of 5.9/10, which is what most of these reactions to this movie are reading as to me. It feels like we're just splitting hairs at the moment, but I still think there will be more positive than negative reactions/reviews this time around.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, clockwork said:

A 60 something on rotten tomatoes is pretty much a lukewarm rating. The thing is, it's not that hard to get above a 60%, the recent Death on the Nile movie has a 63% with an average critic rating of 5.9/10, which is what most of these reactions to this movie are reading as to me. It feels like we're just splitting hairs at the moment, but I still think there will be more positive than negative reactions/reviews this time around.

Well, it would be lukewarm if the critics could pick a lukewarm tomato, but they can only pick rotten or fresh, so it's either all or nothing. Most of the ones I assume will go for a fresh are already pretty lukewarm on it, not a great start. It could very well end up fresh, though barely, but something like Death on the Nile had far less to prove for critics. If SoD is fresh, then yeah no more than like 65%, but I still lean lower. RT history shows you just gotta have more clearly defined positives among the early reactions than this.

EDIT: Gotta say though, the best sign so far is probably Perri Nemiroff enjoying it quite a bit. She was very hard on CoG at the time (3/10), and she's rarely far off from the general consensus (give or take the horror movies).

Edited by Lucas
  • Like 2

I'm on Metacritic, and you guys need to know that these gave positive reviews to Crimes:

TotalFilm

Screen Daily

The Hollywood Reporter 

Austin Chronicle

IGN

The Wrap

Film Journal

The Verge

The Playlist

New York Post

The Washington Post

USA Today

Entertainment Weekly

Reel Reviews

Slant

Associated Press

Chicago Sun Times

Hollywood Reporter gave FB1 a 70 and Crimes an 80. Variety gave FB1 a 70 and Crimes a 50.

People need to remember FB2 does have its defenders for sure.

15 minutes ago, Noctis said:

I'm on Metacritic, and you guys need to know that these gave positive reviews to Crimes:

TotalFilm

Screen Daily

The Hollywood Reporter 

Austin Chronicle

IGN

The Wrap

Film Journal

The Verge

The Playlist

New York Post

The Washington Post

USA Today

Entertainment Weekly

Reel Reviews

Slant

Associated Press

Chicago Sun Times

Hollywood Reporter gave FB1 a 70 and Crimes an 80. Variety gave FB1 a 70 and Crimes a 50.

People need to remember FB2 does have its defenders for sure.

It's not always the same person at each publication that reviews these though. IGN especially can swing wildly depending on the reviewer. 

19 minutes ago, Noctis said:

But you would think Rottentomatoes would have a yellow or lukewarm symbol instead of just fresh and rotten. 

Dont you know? A movie is either TERRIBLE or AMAZING.

There cant be any middle ground. There cant be nuance. It is not ALLOWED. I know that because TWITTER says thats how things should be!

• Thanks 1

If we wanna take a trip down memory lane, these were the main twitter reactions from critics for CoG: 

Overall a stronger mix of highs and lows, while SoD seems to have landed somewhere in the middle - which can overall equal a closer RT aggregate than expected. As I said, RT trends downwards from the initial twitter reactions. That would be the main concern right now for this film.

• Like 1